Is Uconn the worst/most surprising team to ever win the title? | Syracusefan.com

Is Uconn the worst/most surprising team to ever win the title?

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
Besides Nova and assuming they hang on...

I watched them a number of times this year and never did I even think they were a possible final four team, let alone the national champs. I don't see many of their kids playing on too many of the better teams. It's crazy the path that opened up for them and the way they've been able to do enough every game.

I swear though, every team played about as poorly as possible against them in this tourney.

None of their opponents' poor play was a function of their play?

Uconn plays well in march. Period. I can't stand to say it, but props to them.

At least we got that final four last year! Haha, I kid, I kid. Basketball is a crapshoot often.

they got better every game in the tournament. They weren't bad or lucky.

Reactions: cto
Their recent titles pretty much separate them from all other northeast teams. Hurts to say that.

Villanova was a very good team playing in by far the best conference in the country.

NC State with Valvano comes to mind. They lost 10 games I think, but they had a lot of injuries early in the year. They also had senior guards.

Both those teams were better than UConn this year, or any other team in this tournament.

UConn played great ball in the tourney. They made huge clutch shots when they had to make them. They played great team defense. Randle couldn't do much just like Payne couldn't get much against them. They're not the most talented team but they played the best for 6 games over the tourney. Tip the cap to them.

They are good and they are lucky. Gotta be both to win championships. They would be an easy team to root for based on their guards and Daniels etc.if they did not have UConn on the front of their jerseys.

Besides Nova and assuming they hang on...

I watched them a number of times this year and never did I even think they were a possible final four team, let alone the national champs. I don't see many of their kids playing on too many of the better teams. It's crazy the path that opened up for them and the way they've been able to do enough every game.

I swear though, every team played about as poorly as possible against them in this tourney.

I blame UCONN winning a national championship on all the posters, including myself, who posted . Every time I talk smack something bad happens. I am not going to say again. 4 NCs in 15 years, holy moly!

But it sure was nice to see UK nation eat some humble pie!

Not taking away from UConn. Congrats to them, they got hot at the right time. They definitely had the matchups break the right way for them, obviously. Again, not raking anything away from them. We had matchups break for us and we could get past Dayton, after all.

But man, if you had told me UConn would be the champions I would have kicked you squarely in the balls.

Sour grapes much?

UConn nearly played the toughest road that they could to the championship.

St. Joe's, Nova, IA St., MSU, FLA, and then the most talented Frosh class ever assembled?

They earned it these past three weeks.

What really? Nova was the most overrated two seed in recent memory, Isu was without their best player, Msu, and Fla I will give you, but Uk was an 8 seed at the end of the day, and Uconn got ever call in that game tonight.

What really? Nova was the most overrated two seed in recent memory, Isu was without their best player, Msu, and Fla I will give you, but Uk was an 8 seed at the end of the day, and Uconn got ever call in that game tonight.

Thank god you're only giving him Florida and msu- two of the absolute tourney favorites coached by izzo and donovan.

Oh Lord

I wish we were that lucky - not to mention that good.

Posters on this board need to grow up. 4 NCs in 16 years is amazing and unlike their 2011 ship, this one was won beating some of the greatest coaches in the game today - 4 of the top 10/12 coaches on most people's lists.

Cheers,
Neil

Ummm, Villanova in '85. No team will ever play better to come up with a near impossible upset.

UConn tonight became only the 2nd team ever to win a championship without a McDonald's AA since the McDonald's game began. So yes, they are one of the most unlikely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom