Class of 2014 - Isaiah Whitehead | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Isaiah Whitehead

In my view JB's handling of Dion was an embarrasement to the program and hurts with recruiting kids like Whitehead. Starting Tiche over Waiters for every game was more about politics than about strategy.
katface-1.png

In my view JB's handling of Dion was an embarrasement to the program and hurts with recruiting kids like Whitehead. Starting Tiche over Waiters for every game was more about politics than about strategy.

That may be true but it worked and you have to earn it with JB. Certainly not an embarrassment. Not even close.

Zags tweeted out Whitehead is playing with the Playaz this weekend. Too bad the staff will probably be tied up to go see him and Briscoe play together, or all the other recruits for that matter. I know theres probably a ton that goes into this that is uncontrollable but it's kinda odd they'd schedule this event for one of the few biggest recruiting weekends of the aau season.

Zags tweeted out Whitehead is playing with the Playaz this weekend. Too bad the staff will probably be tied up to go see him and Briscoe play together, or all the other recruits for that matter. I know theres probably a ton that goes into this that is uncontrollable but it's kinda odd they'd schedule this event for one of the few biggest recruiting weekends of the aau season.
They did it last year too and the assistants only got to scramble around for one day. I figured they would've pushed it back to early May this year, but I guess JB didn't care.

It was the best thing for Dion in terms of the league. Showed he had turned around and was no longer a head case and was a team first guy. That's a big reason why he was number four.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Embarrassment to the program? What was our record that year again?

Based upon that, I'd say that JB handled the roster just fine.

Yes, embarrasing to be showcased as an unstoppable offensive weapon off the bench on one of the best teams in the country after a season of not so great conditioning, attitude and cooperation with the staff. So instead of JB telling the kid to pack his bags he gave him the hard truth let him decide what he wanted to do and all the NBA scouts got to see a talented kid who did plenty of things the wrong way as a freshman decide to stay with it, work hard and come back knowing he wouldn't be a starter. That probably upped his draft stock exponentially IMO. Sure he made improvements in his game and shot but he also showed he wasn't a quitter, could see his own faults and sacrifice for his team. I'm so very embarressed or not.

A good post Jordoo. Interesting take. We just see it a little differently.

Over the last 15 years of SU basketball, we are down to two players really making it the NBA. Two and a half if you think Hakim is worthy of inclusion. It confirms how good Dion really was.

The brash kid from the Philly ghetto got Boeheimized shortly after arrival. A 3 Star Prospect was given the uninterupted honor of starting over a 5 Star Prospect no matter how poorly he played. That was the punishment. Everyone on here swallowed the JB line that it was all in Dion's best interest. Rubbish. JB never tried Dion as a starter, so the theory is all supposition. You can be certain potential hot recruits are being advised of this little episode by the competition.

Credit to Dion for sticking with it. Credit to Boeheim as well for sticking with an annoying kid (to him). However, it should never have happened the way it did. Dion was a very special talent who was never given his rightful due at SU.

Wrong. It was more about attitude, being a good teammate and listening to the coach.

It's a college program. It isn't always who has the most skills. Dion was lucky he was even allowed back. Otherwise the Cavs never happen.

Sent using my Commodore 64

You can be certain potential hot recruits are being advised of this little episode by the competition.

Seems like we're doing just fine in the recruiting game.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Some Whitehead footage from '13 Pitt Jam Fest...starts at the 1:26 mark.

A good post Jordoo. Interesting take. We just see it a little differently.

Over the last 15 years of SU basketball, we are down to two players really making it the NBA. Two and a half if you think Hakeem is worthy of inclusion. It confirms how good Dion really was.

The brash kid from the Philly ghetto got Boeheimized shortly after arrival. A 3 Star Prospect was given the uninterupted honor of starting over a 5 Star Prospect no matter how poorly he played. That was the punishment. Everyone on here swallowed the JB line that it was all in Dion's best interest. Rubbish. JB never tried Dion as a starter, so the theory is all supposition. You can be certain potential hot recruits are being advised of this little episode by the competition.

Credit to Dion for sticking with it. Credit to Boeheim as well for sticking with an annoying kid (to him). However, it should never have happened the way it did. Dion was a very special talent who was never given his rightful due at SU.

I suppose we will just disagree then. Seemed to work out well for Dion . . . . . just saying.

Haven't heard much lately...seems like the staff is backing off Whitehead as of late in favor of Joseph. Anyone have any recent info?

ya i wouldn't expect a commitment anytime soon either. he will milk this thing to the very last minute

http://www.thebasketballdiary.com/2013/05/team-jersey-elite-new-jersey-vs-juice.html
I checked out the Whitehead game in the link against NJ Elite, which took place last month. It's really amazing how every time when I watch him play that he can fill up the box score without looking like he's doing too much lol. He knocked down a few nice jumpers early on and kind of fell in love with the three ball and shot 1-8 overall from deep. He mixed in some nice drives and every time when I watch him when he doesn't fall in love with the jumper he's pretty much unstoppable going inside which leads to scoring, finding the open player for a score, or getting fouled. I like that he competes for boards and doesn't just stand and watch like most guards do. I had him charted for 2 steals but he had several strips and deflections that led to turnovers and he seems to have good instincts in that department. His stat line overall that I charted was 19pts, 10rbs, 3ast, 2stls, 2 turnovers, 1-8 3pt, 6-8 ft. Besides the 3pt shot, it was a very solid game overall for him. I'm still riding for my man Joseph but Whitehead handles the ball a lot, so he would fit in as a Waiters type that is a scorer but can be the main ball handler on occasions.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/whitehead-drills-seven-3s-talks-schools/
Whitehead update after earning MVP honors at the MKC.

As for recruiting, Whitehead listed Louisville, Syracuse, Minnesota, UCLA and St. John’s among his top schools.
“I’ll probably visit Louisville, back to Syracuse, Minnesota, I want to go out there and see what [Richard] Pitino got,” Whitehead said.

Syracuse has long been in the mix for Whitehead.
“They’re probably if not the highest, the second-highest out of them and Louisville right now because the coaches are non-stop talking to my mom, my coach, they texting me,” Whitehead said. “So there’s a lot going on.”