It’s not a coincidence | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It’s not a coincidence

phases & stages, circles & cycles

they are on an epic roll right now . . . but it wasn't that long ago nova & wright had 3 consecutive double digit loss seasons including a 13-19 year. from 2010 to 2015 he never made it to the second weekend
We went from 2005 till 2009 without going to the second weekend as well.

All programs go thru streaks.
They are just miles better than us at roster construction, offensive sets, and player development.

Besides all that Mrs. Lincoln enjoyed the play.

A couple of thoughts on this. Nobody benefitted more from the breakup of the old new Big East part 2.1 more than Saint Jay. Think about it. He gets up one day and suddenly he doesn't have Cuse, Louisville, UConn, Cincy, WVU and Pitt (all powerhouses at the time) on the schedule any more. Nova fans will tell you that the conference is just as good today, but they are morons one and all. Secondly, Nova committed recruiting violations knowingly and repeatedly around the same time our own NCAA violations occurred. They admitted this. The NCAA looked the other way. Not so much with us.

That Villanova is this dominant, we are mediocre, and UConn/Pitt/Georgetown all stink. They’ve taken over the Northeast. We can forget about ever recruiting Philly again.
We were very specific in recruiting Philly. The recruiting world there, in general, is very dirty.

Last edited:
Jay by all accounts connects and is incredibly respected by his players. Listen to anyone of his press conferences or interviews and he is always positive. I have never heard anything out of him that isn't 100% class.

I got a little sick to my stomach listening to the "analysts" during the KU game talk about Jay's "perfect practices."

Made him sound like some kind of Jedi master or something.

wizard-adult-hat.jpg

Spellman and Brunson were both 5 star guys. Divencenzo was a 4 star guy we recruited.

Booth and Bridges were 4 star guys, as was Cosby-Roundtree. They also bring in 3 top 50 players this year. Two of whom we offered. That will be 4 guys on their roster we offered scholarships to and you think nobody wanted them???
Bingo. Ive been saying it for a while now. The last thing we needed was another mouth at the table.. now they sit at the head of that table and we have been relegated to the little kids table.

Villanova's rise coincided with our departure to the ACC. This is very depressing because until we change and the sacrificial Lamb fails we wont improve. This could be many years or decades

Not trying to be combative but one must look at Michigan re: 4* or low end 4* guys. Getting it done.
With the G league era and an NBA rule change, those low 4 star dudes are the new 5 stars...

The things that Calipari and Wright have in common are very well spoken charismatic personalities and both guys present a very professional image. These factors come in play as they would in ordinary job interviews. Success of each program seals it

Jay by all accounts connects and is incredibly respected by his players. Listen to anyone of his press conferences or interviews and he is always positive. I have never heard anything out of him that isn't 100% class.
Not to mention Nova's topnotch medical staff and the fact that Jay promptly returns calls from parents of injured players. :rolleyes:

A couple of thoughts on this. Nobody benefitted more from the breakup of the old new Big East part 2.1 more than Saint Jay. Think about it. He gets up one day and suddenly he doesn't have Cuse, Louisville, UConn, Cincy, WVU and Pitt (all powerhouses at the time) on the schedule any more. Nova fans will tell you that the conference is just as good today, but they are morons one and all. Secondly, Nova committed recruiting violations knowingly and repeatedly around the same time our own NCAA violations occurred. They admitted this. The NCAA looked the other way. Not so much with us.

They are where we were 2010-2012 they just planned for it and committed to it. BUT like you say the timing was perfect for them their league lost all the top dogs. Perfect storm with both things happening. Look at Loyola they owe their Final Four run to Gregg Marshall leaving their conference and giving them a shot at a bid.

Give Nova credit though. They are equivalent to a pro team that has no 1st round pick and scouts the later rounds harder and has a great draft despite that getting some studs in the 2nd and 4th round. They are not missing at all on those recruits of theirs that are ranked in the 50-100+ range.

Interesting thread...I agree OP a bit over the top. Agree with Moqui things go in cycles. Jay has a very attractive offense no doubt...that's why we all wanted him. No sour grapes...seems like a good guy, he is on a run. I wish it was us but you know what? We have had a decent run ourselves, just no title. I can live with that as a Cusefan. Sweet 16 10, 12, 13, 16 &18. Final 8 12, 13 and 16. Final 4 13 and 16. Some of us are a bit like Francis from Stripes...some of us just need to "Simmer down Francis".

They are where we were 2010-2012 they just planned for it and committed to it. BUT like you say the timing was perfect for them their league lost all the top dogs. Perfect storm with both things happening. Look at Loyola they owe their Final Four run to Gregg Marshall leaving their conference and giving them a shot at a bid.

Give Nova credit though. They are equivalent to a pro team that has no 1st round pick and scouts the later rounds harder and has a great draft despite that getting some studs in the 2nd and 4th round. They are not missing at all on those recruits of theirs that are ranked in the 50-100+ range.

Brunson was 22nd. Spellman 20th.

Interesting thread...I agree OP a bit over the top. Agree with Moqui things go in cycles. Jay has a very attractive offense no doubt...that's why we all wanted him. No sour grapes...seems like a good guy, he is on a run. I wish it was us but you know what? We have had a decent run ourselves, just no title. I can live with that as a Cusefan. Sweet 16 10, 12, 13, 16 &18. Final 8 12, 13 and 16. Final 4 13 and 16. Some of us are a bit like Francis from Stripes...some of us just need to "Simmer down Francis".

If you are going to quote such an iconic scene from a great movie, you can't swing and miss on the quote. ;):)

Well said.

Did not know about their violations. Will always be baffled why the NCAA wanted to get JB so badly. He’s an SOB no doubt, but I think given what we’ve seen from the NCAA regarding other schools, it’s safe to say that e got hammered worse than others in similar situations.

Another way Nova has been successful is that they have avoided getting bit by early entries. Imagine our teams had we kept a few of the guys we had another year. If Quinerly is eligible for them next year, I give up. Arizona is destroyed now, and that kid gets to play for someone else? I’d be livid if if I was a fan of the cats.

If you are going to quote such an iconic scene from a great movie, you can't swing and miss on the quote. ;):)

Dang it... I got nothing...as I typed it I was like”thats what he said isn’t it. Just go with it “ and I miss...ahhh well... I at least drumed up some love for an ole Classic. In fairness if you catch me at the right time I don’t even remember how old I am so...

That Villanova is this dominant, we are mediocre, and UConn/Pitt/Georgetown all stink. They’ve taken over the Northeast. We can forget about ever recruiting Philly again.
Geez, dude. Panic much? :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom