It’s not a coincidence | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It’s not a coincidence

Not to mention Nova's topnotch medical staff and the fact that Jay promptly returns calls from parents of injured players. :rolleyes:
Well of course that goes without saying. Did you read the article on how Boyer found out he was on scholarship? To me that article sums it up. Can you imagine being a parent of an injured player and not having at minimum an assistant return a call. Or the parent of a player put down publicly by his coach... I understand your loyalty towards JB but to disregard some of his actions is ridiculous. Just ask Hop.

Spellman and Brunson were both 5 star guys. Divencenzo was a 4 star guy we recruited.

Booth and Bridges were 4 star guys, as was Cosby-Roundtree. They also bring in 3 top 50 players this year. Two of whom we offered. That will be 4 guys on their roster we offered scholarships to and you think nobody wanted them???
What is really interesting is that Nova was able to land two 5 star recruits outside the northeast I-95 corridor. Brunson from Illinois ( yes I get the father connection but still) and Spellman from Ohio. While we are so reluctant to recruit outside the DC-Boston area.

A couple of thoughts on this. Nobody benefitted more from the breakup of the old new Big East part 2.1 more than Saint Jay. Think about it. He gets up one day and suddenly he doesn't have Cuse, Louisville, UConn, Cincy, WVU and Pitt (all powerhouses at the time) on the schedule any more. Nova fans will tell you that the conference is just as good today, but they are morons one and all. Secondly, Nova committed recruiting violations knowingly and repeatedly around the same time our own NCAA violations occurred. They admitted this. The NCAA looked the other way. Not so much with us.

The differences between the ACC and the BE this year were marginal at best. The ACC crapped out last year and didn't do much this year either considering they had nine teams in the tourney.

That Villanova is this dominant, we are mediocre, and UConn/Pitt/Georgetown all stink. They’ve taken over the Northeast. We can forget about ever recruiting Philly again.
Hear what you are saying but there are still a lot of kids coming out of high school that want to get away from home. Go away to school. Villanova is definitely on a high right now but as we are learning from the China space station....what goes up, must eventually come down. (Just read an article on it!!!)

The differences between the ACC and the BE this year were marginal at best. The ACC crapped out last year and didn't do much this year either considering they had nine teams in the tourney.

Are you a fan of SU basketball only? If you aren't and care about SU football as well, then these sentiments about the 'ol big east and "the way we were" are foolish. The only option for SU's future from a football/athletic department standpoint was accepting the 'gift of a lifetime' offer from the ACC. Every fan of SU's programs should be kissing the ACC's arse every day and thanking our lucky stars. Just imagine where we might be headed if not in the ACC, along with these past 4 years of relative mediocrity. You don't have to look too far to see an example that is UConn.

Wasn't my point, but for the record the ACC had 9 teams in. The Big East had 6. The ACC four teams in the Sweet 16. The Big East had one. My post had to do with VU's schedule being much easier due to so many good teams leaving the Big East. They lost Cuse, Louisville, UConn, ND, Cincy, WVU and Pitt and replaced them with Xavier, Creighton and Butler. I'm not impressed.

Are you a fan of SU basketball only? If you aren't and care about SU football as well, then these sentiments about the 'ol big east and "the way we were" are foolish. The only option for SU's future from a football/athletic department standpoint was accepting the 'gift of a lifetime' offer from the ACC. Every fan of SU's programs should be kissing the ACC's arse every day and thanking our lucky stars. Just imagine where we might be headed if not in the ACC, along with these past 4 years of relative mediocrity. You don't have to look too far to see an example that is UConn.

Wow you assumed a ton from my post. I only made the comment that the ACC was no better than the BE this year in hoops and certainly were nothing special last year. That's it. I'm not nostalgic for the BE and I fully understand why we had to join the ACC. You know what they say when you assume.

Wasn't my point, but for the record the ACC had 9 teams in. The Big East had 6. The ACC four teams in the Sweet 16. The Big East had one. My post had to do with VU's schedule being much easier due to so many good teams leaving the Big East. They lost Cuse, Louisville, UConn, ND, Cincy, WVU and Pitt and replaced them with Xavier, Creighton and Butler. I'm not impressed.

I hear your point to a degree. Yeah the ACC had nine invited but several crapped out badly. UVA? That team goes 20-1 in the ACC and then gets beat by 20 by UMBC. That's embarrassing. UNC gets torched by TA&M. Miami, NCState and VaTech bounced in the first round. Only three of the nine played above their seed (SU, FSU and CU) and none of them made it past the Sweet 16. Mixed bag at best. Last year was a complete train wreck.

ACC is a good conference but not in a position where they can stick their chests out in terms of recent tourney performance. The last three Nova teams would have rolled through the ACC too imo.

I hear your point to a degree. Yeah the ACC had nine invited but several crapped out badly. UVA? That team goes 20-1 in the ACC and then gets beat by 20 by UMBC. That's embarrassing. UNC gets torched by TA&M. Miami, NCState and VaTech bounced in the first round. Only three of the nine played above their seed (SU, FSU and CU) and none of them made it past the Sweet 16. Mixed bag at best. Last year was a complete train wreck.

ACC is a good conference but not in a position where they can stick their chests out in terms of recent tourney performance. The last three Nova teams would have rolled through the ACC too imo.
FSU made it to the Elite 8.

You are correct. My bad.

Hopefully FSU has sent that check to the ofiicials who called those three phantom fouls on JP Macura.
Also, Virginia lost in the 1st round. But it was the first game they played all season without Hunter. Who is their 3rd best player.

Also, Virginia lost in the 1st round. But it was the first game they played all season without Hunter. Who is their 3rd best player.

I know UVA lost in the first round. They made history. The Hunter loss hurt but it's mind boggling to me that they could go 20-1 in the ACC and then get crushed by a team that went 12-4 in the America East Conference.

Wow you assumed a ton from my post. I only made the comment that the ACC was no better than the BE this year in hoops and certainly were nothing special last year. That's it. I'm not nostalgic for the BE and I fully understand why we had to join the ACC. You know what they say when you assume.

:)

Actually 9 ACC teams vs 6 Big East teams still means 60 percent for both conferences.

Hate that we missed our window of opportunity with Wright. No way he leaves Nova given their recent success and given that he is around 56 or so and doubt he is looking for a big career move. Confident that someone will burst onto the scene in about 4 years and we'll snatch em up. We are not going anywhere anytime soon. LGO!!

Anyone remember how we almost became the first 1 to lose vs Asheville? First game without one of your best players can be a hard adjustment.

Anyone remember how we almost became the first 1 to lose vs Asheville? First game without one of your best players can be a hard adjustment.
We also went 10 games during the season without Fab. So our team knew how to play and win without him. That was UVA's first game without him

Hate that we missed our window of opportunity with Wright. No way he leaves Nova given their recent success and given that he is around 56 or so and doubt he is looking for a big career move. Confident that someone will burst onto the scene in about 4 years and we'll snatch em up. We are not going anywhere anytime soon. LGO!!
Porter Moser definitely has my attention. Have to see if he stays at Loyola-Chicago and if he continues the success from this tourney.

We also went 10 games during the season without Fab. So our team knew how to play and win without him. That was UVA's first game without him
It was only a 3 game suspension. But our first game without him we lost our only regular season game and looked like crap vs notre dame. People should cut Bennett some slack.

It was only a 3 game suspension. But our first game without him we lost our only regular season game and looked like crap vs notre dame. People should cut Bennett some slack.

Losing on the road against Notre Dame is a big difference than losing by 20 to UMBC. We at least got to the elite 8.

Losing on the road against Notre Dame is a big difference than losing by 20 to UMBC. We at least got to the elite 8.
That’s true but there are enough similarities.

Hate that we missed our window of opportunity with Wright.
Unknown.jpg

This is our window of opportunity with Wright. It has always looked just like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom