It’s over for Syracuse Football | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

It’s over for Syracuse Football

I agree, college football is headed in the wrong direction. The salaries of college football coaches is out of sight. Even the NCAA is paying their administrators millions. Eventually, somebody has to pay the piper. The weaker teams will not be able to compete salary wise. We are treating these coaches like they invented Covid vaccines not the gym teachers that they are. There is only one Sabin. If Dino was not coaching football he'd be successful but not making anything like he is now. I can't believe what Michigan State is paying their coac

I didn't see Syracuse play one game on TV this year. I pay enough for cable. I'm not paying another dime to get the ACC network. Sooner or later the bubble will burst. I am a life long SU fan going back to 1959 when I was an usher at Archbold. I'm glad I didn't see any games on TV as it would have made me angry at how much we suck. Losing to Louisville 41-3. How can we such this bad????

Our recruiting sucks. I live in South Jersey, right outside of Philly. Within a 30 minute drive there are lots of big time recruits. Leary, the NC State QB lives very close to me. Dino, like GRob ignores New Jersey. Mac recruited players that lived within a four hour drive and he recruited the parents not the players. Dino has yet to recruit a big time wide receiver.

Now basketball sucks too. I'm gonna stop wearing my SU hat. I don't want people saying "There, there, maybe things will get better." Just this morning my investment guy gloated about his Pitt team. You can't spell SUck with out SU.
Hey Roger. Sorry we didn’t meet up this year. Hope all is well. See you next season, hopefully

Haven’t read much of this thread. But couple thoughts

1- These new contracts are outrageous. Just goes to show, even if someone did get someone that turned everything around. There is really no amount of money that wouldn’t get the coach they really wanted. Look at Mel tucker. Just signed a 100 million dollar contract in his second year. We have no idea what he will or won’t become.

2- All I expect from Syracuse football is a bowl game 9 out of 10 years. I’m not dumb to think it’s championship or bust every year. I wouldn’t mind having a shot at a championship every 10 years. But we are currently so far away from even consistent bowl appearances. Who cares about the championship aspirations when we can’t even consistently win. That’s all I ask for.

"It’s a viscous cycle really."

Well, there's viscous cycle 'good': Well-oiled machine

and

viscous cycle 'bad': Sludge irreparably damages engine.

Wow, going after people’s spelling on a message board on the internet now, where people use cell phones and might miss hit a letter and have it autocorrected

I’ve see we’ve stooped to a new level here

Conferences really need to go to 3 or 4 divisions at this point. You cannot have all these name programs all be successful at the same time.

The SEC will have UGA, Tennessee, Florida, Bama, A&M, Auburn, LSU, Texas, and Oklahoma. With zero divisions you have 9 teams fighting for 2 spots. With 2 divisions you have 5 teams fighting for one spot and 4 teams fighting for the other spot. With three divisions there is fewer teams fighting for that one spot, and you can have a WC slot. So you are looking at 2-3 teams fighting for one spot in each division and then 3-4 teams also fighting for the WC.

Edit

So for the SEC to have 3 divisions they need to add 2 more teams. Geographically it makes most sense to add Okie State and NC State. That way you can have 3 main programs in each division.

East- UGA, NC State, Kentucky, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina
Central- Bama, Ole Miss, LSU, Miss State, Tennessee, Vandy
West- Okie State, Oklahoma, A&M, Arkansas, Texas, Mizzou

So this year you would have an SEC playoff of:

1. UGA vs 4. Oklahoma
2. Bama vs 3. Okie State

With 2 divisions at best only 2 of the 9 main SEC programs can have success in a given year. With 3 divisions and a wild card, at best 4 of the 9 main SEC programs can have success in a given year.

Last edited:
Look...all we want to see is a good product on the field/court...and a good fan experience overall.
We have the largest dome on a campus in the whole friggin' USA. How have things changed over the last 2 decades? Does SU use it to the teams' advantages?
Can't the music and communication schools get together and compose some sort of "entrance anthem"
for the football team coordinated with a lightshow?
I come up to CNY every late summer and you don't hear a darn thing about CUSE football on/in media.
Can't the business school devise a strategy of marketing SU sports to the area?
Dino is NOT the greatest D1 coach but he is a GREAT face for the program. Get him out in the community talking football, the players, the coaches, nuts and bolts. If I hear about Ohana and la Familia or an owie again, I think I'm gonna wretch!
6 weekends a year and CUSE can't find 40,000+ to come to a game from a 90 mile radius?
C'mon man......

Wow, going after people’s spelling on a message board on the internet now, where people use cell phones and might miss hit a letter and have it autocorrected

I’ve see we’ve stooped to a new level here
Seriously? It was FUNNY. I found it FUNNY. Wasn't going after anyone. Just followed it to its (for me, anyway) logical conclusion. You know, thinking that people might get a chuckle out of it.

So you don’t think Syracuse has ANYTHING to offer kids?

People with negative attitudes like that are why Syracuse is in the dumps.

It’s a beautiful campus, with great athletics. A Syracuse degree will get you a job almost anywhere if you don’t make it in football.

It has a beautiful dome that was just remodeled.

There’s things that need to change and a lot of it, is the attitude of the fans

There's no doubt that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Now, that leaked rendering of the Dome by the Walter's Group back in May of '16 was, IMO, far more aesthetically pleasing. Actually, it was quite stunning. I imagine, that sentiment was the status quo of the masses, universal consensus as well. However, as you implied, SU went the cheapest or most economic route, sacrificing architectural qualities and attractiveness.

The engineering involved certainly was impressive and watching it come together in the crane thread was interesting. However, the structure itself, IMO, is somewhat of an aesthetic/architectural road block. Having a halo beam, roller coaster structure, or whatever one calls it above the actual roof itself, is very peculiar looking. Again, my opinion.

Replacing the roof was the bulk of the cost. The new scoreboard is nice, and so is the painting of the interior concrete walls, as are the other relatively subtle improvements, including lighting up the exterior. However, that hardly constitutes a "new" dome and folks spewing such a falsity are simply over exaggerating the fact of what it is.

Last edited:
Army destroyed Liberty, plenty of second tier schools with limited resources way less than the ACC fed Su are doing so much better than us. What we need is a solid coaching staff. We have been stuck with poor coaches since Doug left. A good coach will get SU to a bowl 4 out of 5 years and every 10 or so years hit magic. Dino has been a horrible failure. Not SU football. Give the same resources to anyone of a dozen other coaches and we are in a bowl game this year. I dont want to go down the list but i honestly cant think of one thing that Dino has done well. Ok he finally hired a good Oline coach and Wnite is solid but other than that what has he done. How about nothing. So lets hope that next year is a unicorn year for him. As always ill be there hoping for the best.

the coordinator salary is about to be inflated as well. report is Kelly is trying to entice Freeman to follow him by making him the highest paid assistant (i.e. more than $2.5M)

30ish years ago we beat LSU, UF, UGa.
Also during the 80’s I think the SEC only won one National Championship. Without looking it up Miami had multiple, Penn St had multiple maybe ND and OK?

Also during the 80’s I think the SEC only won one National Championship. Without looking it up Miami had multiple, Penn St had multiple maybe ND and OK?
Georgia? BYU won that crazy one in 84 no?

These things tend to go in phases. Maybe football has a resurgence with northern high schools as a way to reconnect with towns, etc.

I get it. Syracuse seems to be a hopeless exercise. I certainly am worn down by my fandom but it just takes that one guy to put the team on his back and become a pied piper of sorts.

I don't think Syracuse football is a lost cause. I do think the ACC could help us out in the north by repositioning the teams that are culturally/geographically closest in the same division. To me that would allow us to regain some connection with our northern folk in the same division.

These things tend to go in phases. Maybe football has a resurgence with northern high schools as a way to reconnect with towns, etc.

I get it. Syracuse seems to be a hopeless exercise. I certainly am worn down by my fandom but it just takes that one guy to put the team on his back and become a pied piper of sorts.

I don't think Syracuse football is a lost cause. I do think the ACC could help us out in the north by repositioning the teams that are culturally/geographically closest in the same division. To me that would allow us to regain some connection with our northern folk in the same division.
Looks like Georgia and Tenn

I agree. If we get another McNabb who elevates an entire team and other players want to play with we could have another decent run

Looks like Georgia and Tenn

I agree. If we get another McNabb who elevates an entire team and other players want to play with we could have another decent run
A “good coach” per Kcsu above or “another McNabb” would be fine, but seems like magical thinking.
We aren’t going to be consistently or occasionally good (7 wins) unless our recruiting is better, back to back years. By recruiting, I include the portal and jucos — whatever it takes to build solid lines, OL and DL, and enough skill players to compete.
We had a decent sprinkling this season with super seniors, Tucker, Shrader, Jackson, Bergeron, our 3 good LBs, G. Williams when healthy, and Chestnut. Enough for 3 good wins and 3 competitive losses. We also had glaring gaps in talent.

Other teams in the ACC have that quality plus a lot more. We got physically beat in November by teams that were stronger up front, and had better passers and wide receivers.
Keep your eye on how we finish this recruiting cycle and how we do in working the portal. It is all about landing the talent to allow the coaches to compete.

That’s the idea isn’t it? 20 years ago we could. 1987 says hello. Like I said, I’ve been in denial for a long time, but reality has hit me in the head. I’ll still go to the games like I have for the last 40 years, sigh
I say highly improbable, not impossible. Soccer fans know the story of Leicester City , Not to long ago Cincinnati was nothing. Not wanting this to turn into thread about how Syracuse stinks , our fans stink , our coach stinks, Onondaga Lake Stinks, Faegans Stinks………………….We honestly we’re not that far away in 2018 , a couple of defensive players maybe. Maybe the ACC championship is our more realistic bar, Certainly if Wake can do it we can. A few years ago what chances were there Coastal Carolina would sit in the top 25 . Heck wasn’t UTSA in the top 25 until last week. Again to the original point , long shot , but not impossible. Guess I’m a hopeless optimist. I’d rather go that way, as Andy says , hope is the best of things……..End of Ramble!

Oh and I’m getting together with the lower 333 seat holders cooperative, we’re kicking you out !!

It's clear that it's a complex and difficult process to develop a winning program. If I heard right, half of ACC teams are 6-6 or 5-7. We're on the low side of average this season. Babers et al are the most responsible, but players, administration, luck, and fans are all components. The administration has decided to give Coach Babers another chance to get the program above .500.

I don't know if it's the right or wrong decision. Nobody really knows just yet. He's made some good choices but some of them haven't worked out well at all. SU has a lot invested in Coach Babers. I can understand why there's interest in giving him every opportunity to succeed. However, it's not going to be easy and part of the administration's thinking may be more related to timing than certainty of direction at this point.

Many things will have to go well in order to validate the decision to retain coach Babers. Good luck to all of us...

A northern pod