It’s over for Syracuse Football | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It’s over for Syracuse Football

If anyone follows the EPL, Syracuse would be in the League One (#3) under the Premier League (#1) and the Championship (#2). This is what it will be like moving forward and unless we get 7 - 9 wins per year, we will never be promoted to the Championship level. Win 2 - 4 games per year and relegation to League Two (#4) is inevitable. College football is very similar to the EPL with the wealthy teams always on top.

Teams were more on an even playing field, so to speak. Not anymore
This I disagree with.

The elite teams were cheating. The SEC was throwing around money to recruits (and other conferences as well) and were blatant about it. Too big to to be reigned in. At least now, cheating is legal lol.

There are ways that things have gotten more open and talent more dispersed. NIL and the transfer portal can be avenues towards building and competing quickly. Double-edged sword for sure.

Expand the playoff. Allow POD scheduling. Give 5 years of eligibility (make the free COVID year perm) and it gets even more even.

(Wake developed it's talent and got a free year of eligibility and were poised to take advantage of it.)

Right and we can say that “fans not being in it doesn’t matter to the kids” or “no rivalry games doesn’t effect the recruits.”

But it does. These kids have dreamed at playing D1 for YEARS. When they go on visits and they see atmospheres like the Dome vs an atmosphere like NC State. It’s very much enough to tip the scale
All of it effects recruits. It makes it harder to land the higher end prospects. These kids follow each other on social media, build relationships at 7v7 events etc... They want to play with other good players and they want to win. Syracuse doesn't offer much of that. Coaches have to sell a product that has 4 winning seasons in 17 years. That is not an excuse, "its a challenge" and each staff at SU has failed at it. That's not a coincidence.

So you don’t think Syracuse has ANYTHING to offer kids?

People with negative attitudes like that are why Syracuse is in the dumps.

It’s a beautiful campus, with great athletics. A Syracuse degree will get you a job almost anywhere if you don’t make it in football.

It has a beautiful dome that was just remodeled.

There’s things that need to change and a lot of it, is the attitude of the fans
I said what do they have to offer compared to other P5 schools, meaning what do they have that is better than other P5 schools? The fans attitude is because we visit other schools like Nc State, Louisville, UNC etc and the facilities are far superior, as is the game day atmosphere. We don’t come to this conclusion because we want to, we come to it because there is significant evidence Syracuse has chosen not to invest in the football program and they are this behind in facilities. Also, let’s not pretend Syracuse is Harvard… they’re a top 50 institution, but they aren’t even top 5 in the ACC for academics, Duke, UNC, BC, Virginia and maybe Wake are all superior names around the country.

Be the change you want to be; become a STH if you are within reasonable driving distance, watch every road game, buy merch, engage on social media, scream your head off in the Dome. Support the team.

LGO

I’ve known this for a while, but I was always in denial. But with the recent signings of Kelly and Riley to these enormous contracts….and more to come, players getting paid at the big programs,,,,SU will never compete for a Natty ever again. College football that I once knew and loved, is forever gone

You need a cruise.

This I disagree with.

The elite teams were cheating. The SEC was throwing around money to recruits (and other conferences as well) and were blatant about it. Too big to to be reigned in. At least now, cheating is legal lol.

There are ways that things have gotten more open and talent more dispersed. NIL and the transfer portal can be avenues towards building and competing quickly. Double-edged sword for sure.

Expand the playoff. Allow POD scheduling. Give 5 years of eligibility (make the free COVID year perm) and it gets even more even.

(Wake developed it's talent and got a free year of eligibility and were poised to take advantage of it.)

30ish years ago we beat LSU, UF, UGa.

I don’t think it’s over and if it is, it was over 15 years ago. There will always be young innovative coaches that we can hire. The transfer portal, while it has its downside, will make qb recruiting more manageable. But competing with the big boys seems far off.

That being said, the SEC is trying to takeover college sports. There is a lot more top basketball talent going to the SEC now. Pay for play is going to be a real issue. My guess is the big public schools will eventually break away and dominate, so maybe I agree.

Personally I would have taken the whole west side of the dome and make it glass.
You do realize that the west side of the dome is not visible from 81 or anywhere unless you're literally in that parking lot.

If anyone follows the EPL, Syracuse would be in the League One (#3) under the Premier League (#1) and the Championship (#2). This is what it will be like moving forward and unless we get 7 - 9 wins per year, we will never be promoted to the Championship level. Win 2 - 4 games per year and relegation to League Two (#4) is inevitable. College football is very similar to the EPL with the wealthy teams always on top.
Good analogy

Maybe we should pull a "reverse Ted Lasso" and hire Thomas Tuchel as our next head coach

Of course I could be wrong about kids from Florida wanting to come play up here with a dome vs without a dome but it seems like you could add a couple points to our HFA
And playing in front of an empty open-air stadium in October and November would more than cancel out that weather advantage. Not to mention the roof helps to make the stadium look a lot bigger and a lot louder than it really is. Architecturally speaking, without that roof, that facility would be a complete eyesore.

Been this way a long time…there are basically 4 teams competing for titles year in and year out. That’s it

That would be great for I am a Chelsea fan.
Of course you are. No disrespect but it seems all Americans are either Chelsea, Man U, or Man City fans. Bandwagon fans. It would be like being an Alabama or Clemson fan. Too easy to be a fan of the very best. I’m newish to the Premier League and I’ve adopted Brentford as my team. I love rooting for the underdog.

That’s the idea isn’t it? 20 years ago we could. 1987 says hello. Like I said, I’ve been in denial for a long time, but reality has hit me in the head. I’ll still go to the games like I have for the last 40 years, sigh
thats 35 years ago

hmmm...I wonder what Cincinnati has to say about this...
Probably thinking that they did everything seemingly possible and if Bama beats Georgia then they may still get squeezed out by Oklahoma State.

Honestly, I feel like people who feel this way should just adopt a second team, like a side team. Go ahead and have an SEC team on the side. Not trying to throw shade, but seriously.

Personally I could never and would never do that, but if being in the national conversation annually is that important to your college football fandom, just do it. This is supposed to be fun. Me, I’ll just continue to focus on the ACC and staying in that realm.