It’s over for Syracuse Football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It’s over for Syracuse Football

Well, I’m going to ruffle some feathers here….

Syracuse doesn’t invest in getting younger people interested into Syracuse football.

This was the first season we saw a push for the students to attend football games in a long time so that’s a huge start.

We have 0 traditions, absolutely nothing that sets us apart on game day. In game production is awful and isn’t drawing fans.

When the defense is on the field during first and second down it’s pretty quiet in the dome. Think about some of the away games you’ve gone to. The crowd is engaged the entire time, especially on defense. With the “good” football programs I’ve gone to at away games the entire stadium is standing the entire time. They are there for the game and not some social event.

We also have a lot of people who are very complacent with where the program is and just chalks things up to “well were Syracuse.”

This $150 million sports project is a huge plus however, we had a shot at going ALL OUT on the dome and backed off and went as minimal as possible. Don’t get me wrong the dome is absolutely beautiful now, but they left a lot of things out that could have really done it wonders. Glad that they ended up doing the uplifting on the outside of the building…that helped.

Personally I would have taken the whole west side of the dome and make it glass.

Syracuse is dipping their toes into being serious about football and I truly hope they dive all the way in…..there’s a lot of money there that Syracuse could make but like anything….you have to spend money to make money
Another thing we desperately need is an annual rivalry game. Easier said than done, but having one game every year that everyone considers must win would help tremendously. It obviously won’t be in state, and I don’t know how to manufacture this, but it would help a lot. Rivalry weekend last Saturday had me thinking about this.

Right and we can say that “fans not being in it doesn’t matter to the kids” or “no rivalry games doesn’t effect the recruits.”

But it does. These kids have dreamed at playing D1 for YEARS. When they go on visits and they see atmospheres like the Dome vs an atmosphere like NC State. It’s very much enough to tip the scale

Well……………..we need a coaching change to be honest…

We have no excuse for our poor recruiting…and I don’t want to hear “there’s no kids in the northeast” or “it’s Syracuse the weather is awful”

Recruiting isn’t localized anymore, it’s nationwide and even global

Basketball has no issues bringing kids to Syracuse despite weather struggles.

You just need the coaching staff that the kids believe in and want to come play for………Dino isn’t moving that needle at all currently
Exactly it’s nationwide, meaning you’re fighting schools from all over the nation. What does Syracuse currently offer that any other P5 school doesn’t? A dome? If that mattered Idaho would’ve been able to survive as an FBS program.

I’ve said it elsewhere but I think playing in a dome hurts us from a competitive standpoint in the ACC more than it helps us recruiting.

Of course I could be wrong about kids from Florida wanting to come play up here with a dome vs without a dome but it seems like you could add a couple points to our HFA when a Wake Forest or NC State has to come play outside in Syracuse in a typical November. I say those two schools because the ACC would never send Clemson or FSU to Syracuse past the middle of October if we played outside. Lol

Exactly it’s nationwide, meaning you’re fighting schools from all over the nation. What does Syracuse currently offer that any other P5 school doesn’t? A dome? If that mattered Idaho would’ve been able to survive as an FBS program.

So you don’t think Syracuse has ANYTHING to offer kids?

People with negative attitudes like that are why Syracuse is in the dumps.

It’s a beautiful campus, with great athletics. A Syracuse degree will get you a job almost anywhere if you don’t make it in football.

It has a beautiful dome that was just remodeled.

There’s things that need to change and a lot of it, is the attitude of the fans

For what its worth, in 2018, we were literally two 4th down stops (vs Clemson and Pitt) from being in the Top 4 of playoff rankings prior to the Notre Dame game. And if Dungey doesn't get hurt in that game, who knows what happens.

I’ve said it elsewhere but I think playing in a dome hurts us from a competitive standpoint in the ACC more than it helps us recruiting.

Of course I could be wrong about kids from Florida wanting to come play up here with a dome vs without a dome but it seems like you could add a couple points to our HFA when a Wake Forest or NC State has to come play outside in Syracuse in a typical November. I say those two schools because the ACC would never send Clemson or FSU to Syracuse past the middle of October if we played outside. Lol

I actually think the dome does hurt us in recruiting.

Yes it’s awesome at first and I love it in November.

But nothing is better than being outside for a football game in the fall on a beautiful evening.

I actually think that had they made that center section completely translucent it would have helped with the recruiting because you get the outside feeling while still being out of the elements

For what its worth, in 2018, we were literally two 4th down stops (vs Clemson and Pitt) from being in the Top 4 of playoff rankings prior to the Notre Dame game. And if Dungey doesn't get hurt in that game, who knows what happens.

And likely change the trajectory of this program and brings a windfall of money

I actually think the dome does hurt us in recruiting.

Yes it’s awesome at first and I love it in November.

But nothing is better than being outside for a football game in the fall on a beautiful evening.

I actually think that had they made that center section completely translucent it would have helped with the recruiting because you get the outside feeling while still being out of the elements

From a fan perspective that makes sense. But recruits want to go somewhere they can put up huge numbers and get noticed by NFL scouts, and a controlled environment like a Dome helps that

This has gone on long enough that I really think I won't get spoiled. But I tell myself that now :)

Right now im right with you. 6-9 wins every season and a bowl would be amazing

Very frustrating we can’t get there and there really isn’t an excuse

Well, I’m going to ruffle some feathers here….

Syracuse doesn’t invest in getting younger people interested into Syracuse football.

This was the first season we saw a push for the students to attend football games in a long time so that’s a huge start.

We have 0 traditions, absolutely nothing that sets us apart on game day. In game production is awful and isn’t drawing fans.

When the defense is on the field during first and second down it’s pretty quiet in the dome. Think about some of the away games you’ve gone to. The crowd is engaged the entire time, especially on defense. With the “good” football programs I’ve gone to at away games the entire stadium is standing the entire time. They are there for the game and not some social event.

We also have a lot of people who are very complacent with where the program is and just chalks things up to “well were Syracuse.”

This $150 million sports project is a huge plus however, we had a shot at going ALL OUT on the dome and backed off and went as minimal as possible. Don’t get me wrong the dome is absolutely beautiful now, but they left a lot of things out that could have really done it wonders. Glad that they ended up doing the uplifting on the outside of the building…that helped.

Personally I would have taken the whole west side of the dome and make it glass.

Syracuse is dipping their toes into being serious about football and I truly hope they dive all the way in…..there’s a lot of money there that Syracuse could make but like anything….you have to spend money to make money
Preach.
But somebody called for this thread to be nuked. Watch out for his comebacks they are devastatingly smart and creative.

From a fan perspective that makes sense. But recruits want to go somewhere they can put up huge numbers and get noticed by NFL scouts, and a controlled environment like a Dome helps that

They also want to go somewhere exciting to play.

The better the fan experience, the better the player experience, the better the player experience the harder they play. Harder they play the better numbers they put up.

It’s a vicious cycle really

Last edited:
Im not saying OP is wrong.

But I do think Syracuse can compete for ACC championships. The bar can’t be lowered just because Dino’s depressed us to the point of self loathing
Dino didn’t retain Dino as HC.
His bosses did.
They told the fanbase Dino wasn’t kept for monetary reasons.
That right there tells us what we are.

They also want to go somewhere exciting to play.

The better the fan experience, the better the player experience, the better the player experience the harder they play. Harder they play the better numbers they put up.

It’s a viscous cycle really

Yup in game presentation is definitely something SU can improve upon, and if by some chance SU can win some more games again then everything will be set.

There‘s only about 5 schools that compete for National Titles anyway. It’s the most scripted sport in America.
That's how I feel and why I said 6-9 wins more often than not and I'll be happy. Sure there is a chance of an occasional magical season, but I just feel there is a realistic ceiling for us in the current environment.

There‘s only about 5 schools that compete for National Titles anyway. It’s the most scripted sport in America.

Yep, at this point I'm not sure if any Northeast team will ever do it again. And I'm including Penn State. I'm okay with that.

LeMoyneCuse nailed it. Just put an interesting product on the field that can beat BC and Pitt most years and I'll be happy.

30 years ago nobody could have foreseen the changing landscape of college football. It will probably continue to get worse before it gets better. But 30 years from now, the landscape may come full circle.

Short term, get us to 16 team playoff and we'll have a chance. Making the playoff == our natty.

That's how I feel and why I said 6-9 wins more often than not and I'll be happy. Sure there is a chance of an occasional magical season, but I just feel there is a realistic ceiling for us in the current environment.
That should be very attainable for P5 programs. All it means is you win your non-P5 games (should be doable) and split your P5 games. And occasionally you have seasons where you do a little better than split.

That shouldn't be unrealistic or unattainable.