It’s Portal time! | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

I probably missed it in all of this madness, but is there a deadline to enter your name in to the portal?

The more of these solid players you see in the portal you realize how difficult it will be for players like Woody and Frank to find a better spot. They may find a team bit starting from scratch and likely to be recruited over if they struggle.

Cuse
I agree...the talent thats in this dirty hole is ridiculous. Lots of kids thinking they will find better will be in the same predicament or worse...and that's even dropping down in schools. I feel bad for 2021 recruits still looking for places. They were hurt by covid and getting exposure and now they will find less scholarship opportunities available to them because the coaches will be hitting the dirty hole hard.

Safe to say we won't reach out to Kessler and if we do he probably won't take our call lol.

Yeah, why even bother saying anything about him? I know JB is pretty unfiltered relative to other coaches, but I don’t understand the need to comment on a player leaving another school. Same with the Duke situation earlier this year.

Yeah, why even bother saying anything about him? I know JB is pretty unfiltered relative to other coaches, but I don’t understand the need to comment on a player leaving another school. Same with the Duke situation earlier this year.
My guess is that he knows more about all these specific situations. Their former coaches aren’t gonna knock them, just like jb isn’t knocking our transfers. But others can do it by proxy. We heard Boeheim and jay wright were talking about Swiden. If he didn’t like the story, that’s that with him and we’re out. What he heard was fine so he doesn’t get bucketed with the “quitter” transfer bunch. Coaches have subgroups of colleagues that they trust and look out for, way above the whims of a one year player.

So, no Cole Swider thread? We really wanted him a few years ago.
6-9 stretch 4. Sure, I would be happy to land somebody like him.

Yes, and we are talking about the portal here and many players linked.
This is more of a black hole. Once we reach out to a guy there's usually a thread on him...for Cole its located in the recruiting forum where there already was a thread. This thread has the thousand of possibilities that will never happen so its pointless to talk Cole in here as it would get lost in the shuffle.

With over 1,000 players in the portal, coupled with estimates of 1,500 when all is said and done, and just over 300 D1 schools in total, plus the influx of incoming freshman - not only will there be players disappointed where their best viable offer may be, but there will definitely be players left out in the cold entirely. That is almost 5 players per team not just entering the portal looking forward to a favorable landing place, but there are incoming freshman already coming in. Coaches can’t wait and save a place for kids who entered the portal but are disappointed or left out entirely either. The math just doesn’t work to make everyone happy in this portal mess.

With over 1,000 players in the portal, coupled with estimates of 1,500 when all is said and done, and just over 300 D1 schools in total, plus the influx of incoming freshman - not only will there be players disappointed where their best viable offer may be, but there will definitely be players left out in the cold entirely. That is almost 5 players per team not just entering the portal looking forward to a favorable landing place, but there are incoming freshman already coming in. Coaches can’t wait and save a place for kids who entered the portal but are disappointed or left out entirely either. The math just doesn’t work to make everyone happy in this portal mess.

Yup.

AND - any undecided current Seniors night also get screwed, since now coaches can fill spots with experienced college players immediately, and won’t bother waiting around for these kids (and their handlers) to finally make up their minds.

It feels like there may be an opportunity for a program expecting a lot of scholarships available to maybe go against the thing everyone else is doing (portal) and go heavy on trying to scoop up some of the remaining high school talent.

It feels like there may be an opportunity for a program expecting a lot of scholarships available to maybe go against the thing everyone else is doing (portal) and go heavy on trying to scoop up some of the remaining high school talent.
Or some high school talent could be an after thought preferring to fill spots with experience and some actual academic, coachability, adaptability college history. Some programs might decide that the time recruiting, developing a new young freshman possibly for someone else to pick off, would be better spent on a more experienced portal player. There are going to be unseen repercussions shaping college basketball from all this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom