It’s Portal time! | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

I think Quincy comes back for another year of college if he can find a school that will allow him to develop his ball handling and outside shot as a starter...if not l agree with you
Um, that would be Syracuse. JB said as much. Besides no one is preventing any of these kids from developing any of their skills.

Eh, man, I mean, I don't disagree with anything Hield said, but like... we gotta acknowledge, people are gonna misinterpret this like crazy, because you can't draw a line between what he said and the professional results Hield has, because he's a rare case.

Since Hield was a senior lotto pick in the 2016 draft there's only been one other senior picked in the lottery. Kaminsky was a senior picked in the lottery in the 2015 draft, Dougie McBuckets in the 2014 NBA draft, and then Jimmer Fredette in 2011. So 5 dudes since 2011 out of 140 lotto picks.

Eh, man, I mean, I don't disagree with anything Hield said, but like... we gotta acknowledge, people are gonna misinterpret this like crazy, because you can't draw a line between what he said and the professional results Hield has, because he's a rare case.

Since Hield was a senior lotto pick in the 2016 draft there's only been one other senior picked in the lottery. Kaminsky was a senior picked in the lottery in the 2015 draft, Dougie McBuckets in the 2014 NBA draft, and then Jimmer Fredette in 2011. So 5 dudes since 2011 out of 140 lotto picks.

No doubt. To me it was just a comment to the effect of how recent this was but how far from that mindset things are today, some with absolutely good reasons and others taking a risk out of impatience and taking advantage.

Why does the lottery matter in the end? Malcolm Brogdan played all four years and was drafted in the second round, I believe, and wound up as rookie of the year. I wish fans would see how bad the influence of advisers and handlers has become. These guys don’t have the best interests of the kids at heart.

Why does the lottery matter in the end? Malcolm Brogdan played all four years and was drafted in the second round, I believe, and wound up as rookie of the year. I wish fans would see how bad the influence of advisers and handlers has become. These guys don’t have the best interests of the kids at heart.

yep, that’s one.
you are looking at outliers. Players that stay until age 22 or over, in large percentages, don’t make it in the nba.

yep, that’s one.
you are looking at outliers. Players that stay until age 22 or over, in large percentages, don’t make it in the nba.
Yeah, this.

And to be clear, I'm not defending the influence of advisers and handlers, like, AT ALL.

I'm just saying there's a really nice story that we like where a player overcomes some adversity and demonstrates some grit and humility as a member of a team, but the reality is... the system isn't actually set up to reward that very frequently.

People need to play the odds to get the best outcomes for themselves, or have a good sense for when to gamble on the road less traveled. Sometimes, guys last 4 years because they don't have a better opportunity, and we should absolutely celebrate when it pays off in the realization of their professional dreams.

It's just... reality is, it's not likely.

yep, that’s one.
Yes. And, generally, very few players make it in the NBA, but the ones that do, most are lottery picks. We can tell how valuable 2nd round picks are because of how many teams trade their lottery picks for them and would never tank for a top-3 pick.

Yes. And, generally, very few players make it in the NBA, but the ones that do, most are lottery picks. We can tell how valuable 2nd round picks are because of how many teams trade their lottery picks for them and would never tank for a top-3 pick.
Yeah, 2nd round picks are bizarre. Sometimes, teams treat them as assets with no value. Other times, they're worth a ton.

Some economist nerd needs to look at this. It's weird. But there's an explanation.

Yeah, 2nd round picks are bizarre. Sometimes, teams treat them as assets with no value. Other times, they're worth a ton.

Some economist nerd needs to look at this. It's weird. But there's an explanation.
A big variable is probably "front offices who know what they're doing vs. those who don't".

A big variable is probably "front offices who know what they're doing vs. those who don't".
Could be. Seems like everyone kinda goes temporarily nuts though.

Brogdon was actually a 5-year player because he redshirted for a year after foot surgery.

Athletes in fall/winter sports like, football and basketball, would face a May 1 deadline to enter the transfer portal. Spring athletes would have a July 1 deadline in order to gain immediate eligibility. However, the council voted to allow a blanket waiver for this year only that sets the date for all athletes as July 1.

The Portal clock is ticking.

the hit rate on underclassman lottery picks cant be that high though, right?

what % of senior fisrt rounders are still in the nba vs fresh/sophs? thats the real question.

lotsa nba front offices are ran by bozos

the hit rate on underclassman lottery picks cant be that high though, right?

what % of senior fisrt rounders are still in the nba vs fresh/sophs? thats the real question.

lotsa nba front offices are ran by bozos
I submit that that is not the real question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom