It’s Portal time! | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

I wonder if some questionable gamesmanship is being played. That is, if some coaches are waiting till after the July 1st deadline date to publicly add a player so current team player(s) won’t also leave for the portal worried that their time will be affected. Might be way out thinking on my part but for every rule there seems to be people who will work hard to try to skirt around any negative repercussions. Hope I’m wrong about some of these players (definitely not all of them) that might unofficially be spoken for.

I wonder if some questionable gamesmanship is being played. That is, if some coaches are waiting till after the July 1st deadline date to publicly add a player so current team player(s) won’t also leave for the portal worried that their time will be affected. Might be way out thinking on my part but for every rule there seems to be people who will work hard to try to skirt around any negative repercussions. Hope I’m wrong about some of these players (definitely not all if them) that might unofficially be spoken for.
I think that is exactly what some coaches are doing.

I wonder if some questionable gamesmanship is being played. That is, if some coaches are waiting till after the July 1st deadline date to publicly add a player so current team player(s) won’t also leave for the portal worried that their time will be affected. Might be way out thinking on my part but for every rule there seems to be people who will work hard to try to skirt around any negative repercussions. Hope I’m wrong about some of these players (definitely not all of them) that might unofficially be spoken for.

Possibly but not sure it's likely.

I think once the paperwork is signed everyone would know. Unless the coach says to the kid to trust him and they will save a spot for him but can't make it official until the 11:59 of the last day because they don't want other on the team to find out?

How would the transfer think of a coach that play this game? What would the parents think?

A coach that would do that, how much would a transfer trust him to really have a spot for him? He would have everything signed by the coach and hold on to his copy until the deadline?

He wouldn't be able to get on campus to start training and practices just to play along with the coach to blindsided his new teammates? That may not go over so well?

These kids on this day and age want to get onto the social media to announce their destinations as soon as they decide. If they are told to keep quiet they would still tell their friends and won't be a secret for long.

If another school calls that kid he would have to decline and say he has committed but keeping quiet? Or he plays along as if he is still looking for a spot?

I think there are too many potential holes that coaches would think twice to pull something like that.

Well my thoughts would be to reach out to him but some will probably say that we might lose one of our All American candidates already sitting on our bench. This kid is a fantastic college center and would immediately put us in the top ten.

how can’t you reach out to him? We have a center with no knees and two that still need to prove they belong on the court

how can’t you reach out to him? We have a center with no knees and two that still need to prove they belong on the court

A kid like this isn't announcing without having likely already figured out where he wants to go if not the NBA.

Of course you always reach out but I expect his recruitment was over the day he announced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom