It Boils Down to Talent... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It Boils Down to Talent...

I was told that Joe was going to play for Duke? No we don’t have enough talent? We keep making excuses but the problem continues to be the same and it’s the coach.

offensively we are slow and stale and boring
Defensively we are slow and stale and boring

We went from having NBA 1st rounders (who are still in the league) coming off the bench, to starting Joe Girard & Buddy Boeheim for 30+ minutes per game.

That's the simple reality. And until that changes, and Father Boeheim stops anointing his starters with an endless leash, we are what we are.
We'll win some games we shouldn't because we hit 3's, we'll lose some games like this that we shouldn't. And we'll be 18-13.

Sad. Really sad.
When I watch Griffin/Quincy and even Kadari once his jumper is there. I could see them all in the league

When I watch Griffin/Quincy and even Kadari once his jumper is there. I could see them all in the league

Griffin might be a second rounder. Quincy is wayyyyy too small to be a power forward and has no handle. He’s not getting drafted. Kadary is the wild card, but he is playing behind two guys who have zero shot. So there’s that.

Nobody even knows who top 4 in the league is. It still could be us.
Yeah we could be top 4 but if the ACC is really down then we won’t have many chances for NCAAT resume wins.

We won’t have much from the nonconference games.
If the conference is down then we better do really well.
This season does appear to be another season we will be grinding to
just make the tournament.

Yeah we could be top 4 but if the ACC is really down then we won’t have many chances for NCAAT resume wins.

We won’t have much from the nonconference games.
If the conference is down then we better do really well.
This season does appear to be another season we will be grinding to
just make the tournament.

We should be 8-0. It's really not debatable. We blew 2 games down the stretch. The issue this year is with in game coaching and not talent.

We should be 8-0. It's really not debatable. We blew 2 games down the stretch. The issue this year is with in game coaching and not talent.
I really don’t agree. We could have to lost Bryant and Northeastern. We won though.

You see top 25 team talent on this roster?
I don’t.
I see a plucky team that if it makes 3’s can beat anyone and if they don’t make 3’s can lose games to anyone.

Guerrier is solid as a rock.
Griffin is a chucker and not Hughes.
Dolezaj is out of position thus kills the interior defense.
I see a backcourt where the best player plays the least.
I like Newton and Braswell.
We need end of last season Sidibe badly.

I think we have a roster that should make the NCAAT as a 8-9 seed.
Not a roster to compete in an average ACC season for top 4.
This is the worst Duke team in 15 years.
North Carolina can’t shoot and I think they will volleyball us and beat us.

I really don’t agree. We could have to lost Bryant and Northeastern. We won though.

You see top 25 team talent on this roster?
I don’t.
I see a plucky team that if it makes 3’s can beat anyone and if they don’t make 3’s can lose games to anyone.

Guerrier is solid as a rock.
Griffin is a chucker and not Hughes.
Dolezaj is out of position thus kills the interior defense.
I see a backcourt where the best player plays the least.
I like Newton and Braswell.
We need end of last season Sidibe badly.

I think we have a roster that should make the NCAAT as a 8-9 seed.
Not a roster to compete in an average ACC season for top 4.
This is the worst Duke team in 15 years.
North Carolina can’t shoot and I think they will volleyball us and beat us.

Shooting is the name of the game. You don’t think practice matters. I do. Every game doesn’t have to be a big picture view on everything with the program. There’s people along with me who think we can win this year and we should if we play the right people. Girard should not have been the pg at the end last night and that’s why we lost.

Shooting is the name of the game. You don’t think practice matters. I do. Every game doesn’t have to be a big picture view on everything with the program. There’s people along with me who think we can win this year and we should if we play the right people. Girard should not have been the pg at the end last night and that’s why we lost.
What do we practice?
Our defense doesn’t change.
We run the offensive same sets in the games this year. If I know our plays I can say I feel opposing coaches who watch our games know our sets.
We don’t change much.

I don’t think practice matters that much for us. Other getting conditioning in. We aren’t a team that gameplans for the opponent. We do what we do.
We are Steelers under Bill Cowher/Mike Tomlin.
We do what we do and tell the opponent beat it or we will win.

I don’t think practice matters that much.
Film study matters.
Film study can be done via zoom or socially distanced.

I really don’t think practice matters for Syracuse other than just getting shots in.
I have asked numerous times what a practice is like and it’s all just drills, positional work with coaches and 5 on 5 is what I have been told by guys like RF who know.

I think practice is an excuse this HC will use because it’s available and we aren’t much.

I don’t think the talent is bad. As I said it’s not a NC contender talent.
It’s 8-9 NCAAT tournament talent.

In another thread I created somebody said we think we are Kansas but we are actually Providence and that IMO is not far off.
We have Providence talent. Which will make the tournament but it’s not going to win much.

What do we practice?
We run the same sets.
We don’t change much.

I don’t think practice matters for us. We aren’t a team that gameplans for the opponent. We do what we do.

Film study matters.

I really don’t think practice matters for Syracuse other than just getting shots in.
I have asked numerous times what a practice is like and it’s all just drills, positional work with coaches and 5 on 5 is what I have been told by guys like RF who know.

I think practice is an excuse this HC will use because it’s available and we aren’t much.

I don’t think the talent is bad. As I said it’s not a NC contender talent.
It’s 8-9 NCAAT tournament talent.

In another thread I created somebody said we think we are Kansas but we are actually Providence and that IMO is not far off.
We have Providence talent. Which will make the tournament but it’s not going to win much.

I have an issue with this because the talent level is definitely up from the past 3-4 years. Yesterday was nothing to do with talent. The coach hamstrings the team yesterday by riding Girard too much and putting the wrong guys in the wrong spots. He puts Kadary in the corner and Girard at lead guard when they are in together. We do nothing to get guys easy shots.

He did the same stupid crap against Rutgers.

He plays him down the stretch when Kadary is his best PG.

He left Guerrier in the game at the end of the first half to pick up his 3rd. Guerrier is our best player and we got 17 minutes out of him.

I have an issue with this because the talent level is definitely up from the past 3-4 years. Yesterday was nothing to do with talent. The coach hamstrings the team yesterday by riding Girard too much and putting the wrong guys in the wrong spots. He puts Kadary in the corner and Girard at lead guard when they are in together. We do nothing to get guys easy shots.

He left Guerrier in the game at the end of the first half to pick up his 3rd. Guerrier is our best player and we got 17 minutes out of him.
How good is our talent?

I said I think it’s an NCAA tournament level talented team.
I see maybe 1 all-ACC level talent this season in Guerrier.
Griffin/Buddy/Marek/Richmond are solid as well.
Again I said this isn’t NC good.
That is all.
I don’t think this team will be expected to win more than 1 NCAAT.
We don’t have the guard play for that.

We can beat anyone or lose to anyone if we don’t make shots. If it boils down to that then the team isn’t that great. We don’t play great defense with this roster. We can’t rebound.
That stuff is part of the equation.

How good is our talent?

I said I think it’s an NCAA tournament level talented team.
I see maybe 1 all-ACC level talent this season in Guerrier.
Griffin/Buddy/Marek/Richmond are solid as well.
Again I said this isn’t NC good.
That is all.
I don’t think this team will be expected to win more than 1 NCAAT.
We don’t have the guard play for that.

We can beat anyone or lose to anyone if we don’t make shots. If it boils down to that then the team isn’t that great. We don’t play great defense with this roster. We can’t rebound.
That stuff is part of the equation.
We have the ability to rebound. This happens almost every season. We hit a stretch where we rebound the ball really badly, and then the coaches really start stressing it and getting on the players, and we improve just enough to not get destroyed on the boards by late in the season. Practice matters. Getting Sidibe back will help with both rebounding and interior defense, and those are our biggest weaknesses. There’s no way we should have lost to Pitt.

I know he was in foul trouble but:
Girard 11 shots
Buddy 12 shots
Griffin 16 shots
Quincy 2 shots

It is just unacceptable to have the first three guys jack up threes early in the shot clock, especially contested threes. And a guy like Quincy was treated as an offensive afterthought. Not a play run for him. Absolutely unacceptable.

I know he was in foul trouble but:
Girard 11 shots
Buddy 12 shots
Griffin 16 shots
Quincy 2 shots

It is just unacceptable to have the first three guys jack up threes early in the shot clock, especially contested threes. And a guy like Quincy was treated as an offensive afterthought. Not a play run for him. Absolutely unacceptable.

Yeah Guerrier playing 17 minutes because of foul trouble had nothing to do with that.

Buddy has made nine 3s on the season. He's third on the team in total FGA.

The team overall is corralling about 31% of their misses. That's not great.

Overall, they're not a bad team, but it's more of the same of the last decade. Mediocre results, square pegs in round holes and an overall lack of elite talent that covers up those warts and makes JAB's system really fire on all cylinders.

Lots of mixed metaphors in there.

You picked 2 of our best teams from 45 years. They blew the game. That was it. The coach should have had his best pg in the game. I believe if this team was coached right we would win 70% of our games this year. I'm not sure it will be though.
I agree it was poor coaching, but Kadary was dreadful yesterday. It was more than poor point guard play. Shot selection, which is a sign of lack of discipline and poor coaching was the reason for the loss.

Yeah I'm in the camp that relative to who we've played and the general talent landscape of teams in college basketball, our talent is aight and our coaching has been letting us down.

Feed Q
Give Kadary minutes, especially in crunch time
Park Griffin/Jackson/Joey G on the bench every time they put up a bad shot. Every time. I don't even care if it's a revolving door
Make some attempt to get one of the 3 underclassmen scholarship centers game action

These are all coaching decisions.

What do we practice?
We run the offensive same sets in the games this year. If I know our plays I can say I feel opposing coaches who watch our games know our sets.
We don’t change much.

I don’t think practice matters that much for us. Other getting conditioning in. We aren’t a team that gameplans for the opponent. We do what we do.

Film study matters.

I am as annoyed as most by losing that game but please, practice doesn’t matter? Anyone who is good at anything is getting that good by practicing. You know who practices their craft the most? The people who are at the top of their field. Don’t tell me you are one who looks at elite level performers and believes they were just endowed by the all mighty with those abilities and don’t have to work at their skills constantly to get to that level and to maintain that level.

Pick any activity and try to get good enough to be the best in your city or county at it without practicing. Without doing drills.

Can we get real, please?

I agree it was poor coaching, but Kadary was dreadful yesterday. It was more than poor point guard play. Shot selection, which is a sign of lack of discipline and poor coaching was the reason for the loss.
You and I watch different games I think.

We don’t have the talent to win the NC.
We have the talent to be a decent team but it’s not a NC contender.
currently the way we are being coached what talent we do have is being wasted.

I am as annoyed as most by losing that game but please, practice doesn’t matter? Anyone who is good at anything is getting that good by practicing. You know who practices their craft the most? The people who are at the top of their field. Don’t tell me you are one who looks at elite level performers and believes they were just endowed by the all mighty with those abilities and don’t have to work at their skills constantly to get to that level and to maintain that level.

Pick any activity and try to get good enough to be the best in your city or county at it without practicing. Without doing drills.

Can we get real, please?
I thought the same way. Insanity to think practice doesn’t help.
Who in their right mind thinks you can get better by spending all your time watching game film? I’d be in the Hall of Fame if watching football and basketball improve my game skills.

According to your post, my interpretation is that the broader problem is currently JB? Since JB apparently isn't retiring anytime soon, what changes? It has been said over and over again that JB plays every game to win. And, that he plays the particular players that he believes gives him the best chance to win. You ain't teaching an 'ol dog new tricks...so what gives moving forward?

I agree with all of that -- not his best game.

But on the other hand, over the last 4-5 minutes, when we went through that stretch where we missed something like 7 consecutive threes and couldn't buy a bucket, doesn't it make sense to put the best [and only] true lead guard the program has back on the floor to help the offense run better?

I acknowledge that hindsight is 20/20, and JB probably thought that we had enough of a lead to hang on. But when our half court offensive set execution is faltering, put the PG back in.

I agree with all of that -- not his best game.

But on the other hand, over the last 4-5 minutes, when we went through that stretch where we missed something like 7 consecutive threes and couldn't buy a bucket, doesn't it make sense to put the best [and only] true lead guard the program has back on the floor to help the offense run better?

I acknowledge that hindsight is 20/20, and JB probably thought that we had enough of a lead to hang on. But when our half court offensive set execution is faltering, put the PG back in.
Really wonder if JB’s loyalty is too much sometimes.Who knows what he offers kids to commit to play for him.Any chance that he agrees a kid gets certain amount of PT if he comes and plays for the Orange?Im sure coaches do that at other schools and maybe JB has had to bow to demands if he wants a kid.

Really wonder if JB’s loyalty is too much sometimes.Who knows what he offers kids to commit to play for him.Any chance that he agrees a kid gets certain amount of PT if he comes and plays for the Orange?Im sure coaches do that at other schools and maybe JB has had to bow to demands if he wants a kid.

Nah.

And - neither of Jackson or JGIII were EVER expected to be guys getting 30+++ minutes on the regular.

Joe was supposed to be 3rd fiddle behind Carey & Goodine.
NO WAY he was "promised" anything, other than a chance to compete for PT.

Buddy got zero "promises" from Dad.
And, he should be our "Random White Guy' off the bench who occasionally goes to plaid, and pisses off opposing fanbases; not an entrenched starter who has minus skills at literally everything about playing P5 basketball, except for shooting, at which he's above average - NOT elite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom