It is time to get DM an extension. | Syracusefan.com

It is time to get DM an extension.

Don't forget Shafer. He needs an additional $200k.

The move to the ACC couldn't come at a better time. More TV money = more $$$ available to pay assistant coaches.

The move to the ACC couldn't come at a better time. More TV money = more $$$ available to pay assistant coaches.
shafer may need more money but he isn't going anywhere and despite what some may believe our defense has been below average this year.. again consistency is the word here and Shafer struggles versus power O type teams... Look I think the guy has done a great job but I think people get carried away at times with the accolades for Coach Shafer, lets see what we do the next 5..

We should give Shafer more money whether he asks for it or not. Until a legit BCS program comes calling, I hope we can hang on to him as long as possible.

We should give Shafer more money whether he asks for it or not. Until a legit BCS program comes calling, I hope we can hang on to him as long as possible.

One correction (that I hope you'll agree with): we are now a legit BCS program heading into a legitimate conference. It is time for the AD's office to act like one and these deals will be a good start. TGD has had a good run this fall, but I think he's missed on this one. We need to finish the job and secure our future (as much as it can be anyway).

one thing is though . there is only one team left that really wants to be a power team in the Conf other than us.. Not sure what Uconn wants to be. Im not even sure UL wants to be one

One correction (that I hope you'll agree with): we are now a legit BCS program heading into a legitimate conference. It is time for the AD's office to act like one and these deals will be a good start. TGD has had a good run this fall, but I think he's missed on this one. We need to finish the job and secure our future (as much as it can be anyway).

I meant until another legit BCS program comes to offer Shafer a HC job. Should've clarified.

I think the extensions for Marrone and Schafer are inevitable. No need to rush it.

I say let this season take place. I am not sure when Marrone's contract is up, I forgot the deal when he signed on, but first look at what the asst. coaches plan on doing after this season, and then move forward.

The ACC move will help big time on replacing any coaches that leave, and for wage increases for those who stay. I feel through all the reports and write ups that Schafer is here to stay for awhile, and he has even stated that he wants to keep the family settled in one place right now.

Honestly, the only two coaches that I feel might make a move, and I have no proof to back this up, would be Wheatly and Brumbaugh.

I think the extensions for Marrone and Schafer are inevitable. No need to rush it.

You are probably right but it's important that it happens. Wasn't Marrone's name being thrown around after last season for some openings. This year he could be an even hotter commodity. The real sad part is that some of these schools throw around real crazy amounts of dollars. The two big things working for the Cuse right now is the Marrone is an alum and the school is going to the ACC. Those two things, couple with some extra greenbacks, will help keep him here.

I say let this season take place. I am not sure when Marrone's contract is up, I forgot the deal when he signed on, but first look at what the asst. coaches plan on doing after this season, and then move forward.

The ACC move will help big time on replacing any coaches that leave, and for wage increases for those who stay. I feel through all the reports and write ups that Schafer is here to stay for awhile, and he has even stated that he wants to keep the family settled in one place right now.

Honestly, the only two coaches that I feel might make a move, and I have no proof to back this up, would be Wheatly and Brumbaugh.

He got a 5-year deal. Pretty standard. I agree that at the end of this year, you start to have the discussion about an extension. You don't want schools to use his contract against him but you don't want to go overboard in committing to the guy either. One thing that Gross has going for him is that Marrone has repeatedly said that this is his dream job and I think that he genuinely means it. You don't have sell the farm to get the guy to stay and he'll surely be on board with using the extra money to keep/attract good assistants. Sign Marrone up for a three-year extension at the end of the year and bump up the pay for the keepers on the staff.

The job that i worry about with Marrone, if we don't take him at his word, is the Giants one. In 2-3 years when Coughlin is gone, why wouldn't the Giants come calling IF IF IF Syracuse continues its ascent.

I'm not sure we are a "legit" BCS program just yet. We have improved and by no means are the laughing stock of college football anymore, but we still haven't won a BE title or won more than 7 regular season games. Maybe this year changes that. We are certainly not taken for granted anymore. I mean one win vs WVU and the opinions of many on this board have done a complete 180. After the Tulane game, some people weren't sure Marrone was the right man for the job.

As far as a contract extension, I'm sure Gross and Co are already in talks to offer Doug more years and money. We still only have 5 wins, and we still need to find win #6 for the bowl. Based on last week's performance, it sure does look like we could be in store for 8 or 9 wins and a shot at that slippery BE title. That would certainly secure a nice long-term contract for Marrone.

Last Friday night was a tremendous audition for Shafer on national television. I'm sure many programs took notice.

shafer may need more money but he isn't going anywhere and despite what some may believe our defense has been below average this year.. again consistency is the word here and Shafer struggles versus power O type teams... Look I think the guy has done a great job but I think people get carried away at times with the accolades for Coach Shafer, lets see what we do the next 5..

hater

He got a 5-year deal. Pretty standard. I agree that at the end of this year, you start to have the discussion about an extension. You don't want schools to use his contract against him but you don't want to go overboard in committing to the guy either. One thing that Gross has going for him is that Marrone has repeatedly said that this is his dream job and I think that he genuinely means it. You don't have sell the farm to get the guy to stay and he'll surely be on board with using the extra money to keep/attract good assistants. Sign Marrone up for a three-year extension at the end of the year and bump up the pay for the keepers on the staff.

Overboard? He and Shafer will be prime targets. No offense, but this is short-sighted and the kind of thing that leads to key employees looking elsewhere. As far as 5 years, look at Louisville and other schools and when they have renewed.

I think the telling comment from the West Virginia coach was, in the first 24 blizes Syracuse used, 16 were different. That is a sick number for this level of football. The coach said he had never ever seen that before. Shafer is the man and it take smart well coached kids to execute something like that.

Marrone goes no where, that is for sure.

Overboard? He and Shafer will be prime targets. No offense, but this is short-sighted and the kind of thing that leads to key employees looking elsewhere. As far as 5 years, look at Louisville and other schools and when they have renewed.

So exactly where will Shafer and Marrone go that is a step up from Syracuse? Obviously hey can go to one of the legit historical powerhouses who I would say are
Tier 1: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida, ND
Tier 2: FSU, Clemson, Miami, Oregon, UCLA, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Va Tech, Syracuse, GTech

Guess what folks, if someone from Tier 1 comes calling either Marrone or Shafer it won't come down to money it'll come down to what their aspirations as coaches. Here is the other thing, the ACC puts Syracuse with all of our history and tradition firmly into a tier 2 program. If one of them come calling I definitely can see money being the primary factor in whether they stay or not, I would guess that Marrone wouldn't go to another tier 2 school unless he was going to get an astronomical amount of money, Shafer might go to a tier 2 for either a little ore money or a promotion to HC. There probably is a tier 3 with whatever SEC school decides to come calling as well.

This is the beauty of our ACC move that just hit me, we are now one of the haves, we don't need to act like a have not where we are worried about some mediocre school stealing our coaches anymore. In my opinion we have the tradition and the recruiting area to be a solid tier 2 school who is consistently top 25 and every 3 or 4 years makes a top 10 or top 5 run. The major assumption I am making is that the school has a goal of doing that and dedicates the resources needed to join tier 2 or if the school is happy just raking in BCS dollars and being a top 40 program.

I see our ceiling as being Wisconsin our median being a rich man's Northwestern/Purdue and at our worst being a Vanderbilt or Wake... I don't think we will ever get down to the level of the Dukes, Indiana, etc...

I'd feel better about this post if the topic came up in discussions by fans after the 12th game of the season and not a monster win, gnome sayin'?

So exactly where will Shafer and Marrone go that is a step up from Syracuse? Obviously hey can go to one of the legit historical powerhouses who I would say are
Tier 1: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida, ND
Tier 2: FSU, Clemson, Miami, Oregon, UCLA, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Va Tech, Syracuse, GTech

Guess what folks, if someone from Tier 1 comes calling either Marrone or Shafer it won't come down to money it'll come down to what their aspirations as coaches. Here is the other thing, the ACC puts Syracuse with all of our history and tradition firmly into a tier 2 program. If one of them come calling I definitely can see money being the primary factor in whether they stay or not, I would guess that Marrone wouldn't go to another tier 2 school unless he was going to get an astronomical amount of money, Shafer might go to a tier 2 for either a little ore money or a promotion to HC. There probably is a tier 3 with whatever SEC school decides to come calling as well.

This is the beauty of our ACC move that just hit me, we are now one of the haves, we don't need to act like a have not where we are worried about some mediocre school stealing our coaches anymore. In my opinion we have the tradition and the recruiting area to be a solid tier 2 school who is consistently top 25 and every 3 or 4 years makes a top 10 or top 5 run. The major assumption I am making is that the school has a goal of doing that and dedicates the resources needed to join tier 2 or if the school is happy just raking in BCS dollars and being a top 40 program.

I see our ceiling as being Wisconsin our median being a rich man's Northwestern/Purdue and at our worst being a Vanderbilt or Wake... I don't think we will ever get down to the level of the Dukes, Indiana, etc...

So you don't extend based on that example? Sorry, but I don't follow the logic.

I'd feel better about this post if the topic came up in discussions by fans after the 12th game of the season and not a monster win, gnome sayin'?

I wish it would have come up last off season as well.

I wish it would have come up last off season as well.
That's fair. I'm just remembering how Charlie Weiss got ND fans all jazzed by some big performances and then got a monster extension, and itdidn't work too well. Extensions should be considered after reviewing the body of work, not immediately after the best or worst examples of performance.

That's fair. I'm just remembering how Charlie Weiss got ND fans all jazzed by some big performances and then got a monster extension, and itdidn't work too well. Extensions should be considered after reviewing the body of work, not immediately after the best or worst examples of performance.
you can't wait for the whole body of work. just give him the extension. if it doesn't work out you buy him out (which i don't expect)

so ND had to pay weiss, whoopdeedoo. if you wait too long, you hurt recruiting for whoever ends up being the coach

Folks, we're always one week away from humility this time of year. The best comments were the ones that said wait until the end of the season. Even if Gross did want give him a new contract, he'd be nuts to do so now unless: a.) HCDM had a better offer from another school or b.) there was a major, clear recruiting benefit to giving a new deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom