It really is difficult | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It really is difficult

So your argument changed to we didn’t recruit shooters “hard enough”? Lol

What else should we have done to land kids that wanted to play at Duke and Kentucky and Arizona?

cash-paid.jpg

I hear what you’re saying. Boeheim put on the full courty press for Tucker, and would have had him, had Duke not offered last minute. Trae Young goes to UK, and he likely gets Green too. Sometimes bad luck.

Boeheim was coasting until Mike left, and Mike was also coasting his last year here, because he knew he wasn't getting the job as promised. Him leaving made it much easier for JB to stay, but JB wasn't going to leave. That overlap of disinterest / coasting killed our last couple classes, IMO.

Smart decision on their part. Kid was a top 50 player and is averaging 14 5 and 4 on 47% from 3 and 52% overall. He’s a more athletic Andy Rautins.

Waiting on posts explaining to you why it would've been smarter for him to prep and then come here instead of going to Maryland.

Actually, this is making me want to check his recruiting thread now.

The good news is that with no NBA talent and no seniors, SU can expect everyone back for next year, right?? Hasn't happened in a long, long time college atheletics wise. What an advantage having all that eperience back on top of a good recruiting class.

Buddy is a shooter and the coaches son he didn’t really have to be recruited much. Jalens a scorer more so than a shooter.
Wrong. Jalen is a good shooter and good at getting to the hoop. Hughes is also a good shooter.

Syracuse recruited Alex O’Connell, Jordan Tucker, Quade Green, Brandon Randolph, and Lonnie Walker in the 2017 class. Those are all shooters. Who else in the 2017 class should we have recruited?

Lonnie Walker is shooting sub-30% on 3's this year. He's most certainly not a shooter.

Was there serious interest in O'Connell? I know he visited, but it was still a head scratcher. He wasn't in the typical SU recruiting area, didn't have a protracted recruitment, and he was a Duke legacy (who waited a whopping two days between receiving an offer from K to committing to Duke).

The good news is that with no NBA talent and no seniors, SU can expect everyone back for next year, right?? Hasn't happened in a long, long time college atheletics wise. What an advantage having all that eperience back on top of a good recruiting class.
Battle will not be back.

Define “putting all your eggs in one basket”. Are you saying Syracuse didn’t actually recruit Alex O’Connell? Did they not recruit Lonnie Walker? Brandon Randolph? Did they not recruit Jordan Tucker?

Syracuse basketball offers Alex O'Connell, a 4-star shooting guard out of Georgia

Top 20 recruit Lonnie Walker narrows list to 5 schools, Syracuse basketball makes cut

Elite 2017 recruit Brandon Randolph schedules official visit with Syracuse basketball

Hoops recruiting: Jordan Tucker to officially visit SU this weekend

Prized 2017 point guard Quade Green to visit Syracuse this weekend

“The reason Syracuse didn't make the cut is the school's scholarship offer was for the 2017 year. The SU coaches, facing a reduction of three scholarships a year for the next four years, hoped that Huerter would consider spending a year at a prep school.”

Tell me who Syracuse should have recruited that they didnt. Cuz there’s 6 shooters we recruited for the 2017 class right there.
We backed off Lonnie Walker and he said he wasn't hearing from people and at the time I figured it was because he was a strong Nova lean which is what I was hearing. Then all of the sudden he goes to Miami who is now involved in the FBI thing. There is a good chance the staff heard about this and backed off the kid. O'Connell was Duke legacy and we were on him but it was over as soon as Duke took interest. The Randolph thing is well known and Tucker probably made the wrong decision based on his heart not what made the most sense. The reality is that once Young decided he wasn't going to UK they moved to option two and beat us for Green and then when Duke missed out on Knox they scrambled for Tucker. If UK gets Young and Duke gets Knox then we have both Green and Tucker on this team. That is what happened. It happens in recruiting. As soon as that happened every single person that follows recruiting closely knew this years team would really struggle to score. It was unbelievable obvious. It was always going to be a 9-9 in conference ceiling type team. Next year we have multiple players coming in that are going to get us back to where we need to be along with a good nucleus coming back. There are multiple kids we have missed on over the last 10 years. For me Monte Morris who I really wanted was the biggest but Brunson and others can be discussed. Using scholarships on Kaleb Joseph, Buss Patterson and others can be discussed to. I was on the thought Kaleb was going to be a good player train so I can't act otherwise. This sanctions hurt us and made mistakes like these much harder to overcome. If you can't understand that I don't know what to say.

It is funny how on some complain that SU doesn't go after 4+ star kids then complain when the full compliment of scholarships aren't given out to have 8 and 9 man rotations, then complain the number of kids who "don't have the talent to play P5 basketball. And all this when only 2 coaches were able to go afield to recruit.

It is funny how on some complain that SU doesn't go after 4+ star kids then complain when the full compliment of scholarships aren't given out to have 8 and 9 man rotations, then complain the number of kids who "don't have the talent to play P5 basketball. And all this when only 2 coaches were able to go afield to recruit.
Good point. I kind of lost track of the fact we were limited to just two coaches recruiting. This in addition to Hop moving on, had to impact our recruiting recently.

Wrong. Jalen is a good shooter and good at getting to the hoop. Hughes is also a good shooter.

I'll believe it when I see it, his shooting numbers weren't good at his last stop.

Syracuse recruited Alex O’Connell, Jordan Tucker, Quade Green, Brandon Randolph, and Lonnie Walker in the 2017 class. Those are all shooters. Who else in the 2017 class should we have recruited?
Hmm, maybe not go after the one and done shooters who are being recruited by the big boy$? There are a ton of good shooters out there who end up playing four years at lesser programs.

Hmm, maybe not go after the one and done shooters who are being recruited by the big boy$? There are a ton of good shooters out there who end up playing four years at lesser programs.
Outside of Lonnie Walker none of these kids are one and dones

So recruit lesser players? I don’t think that’s a good strategy. You recruit the best players you can.

So recruit lesser players? I don’t think that’s a good strategy. You recruit the best players you can.
What I'm saying is it's not a great strategy to have to settle for lesser players because you miss out on a lot of pretty good players while chasing guys you couldn't land.

What I'm saying is it's not a great strategy to have to settle for lesser players because you miss out on a lot of pretty good players while chasing guys you couldn't land.
I understand that but I don’t think we are doing that. It’s not like we are chasing Hami Diallo. Green, Tucker and Randolph were all really gettable players

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom