It was Lafayette folks… | Syracusefan.com

It was Lafayette folks…

Jake

Mod
Let’s slow our H0T Takes this morning before declaring that we’ve upgraded every position in the great 2021 portal swap.

Marek did some very effective things against high end teams last year and his play making was off the charts good for a guy his size.

Same with Q, he helped us a lot in conference play. Though, he did struggle down the stretch.

I love what I see with Cole, but I need more evidence with Jimmy. I didn’t even notice Cole was struggling in the first half because he was active in other ways than scoring. Love to see that.

This is going to be a really easy team for jB to coach. Not many decisions to make rotationally. Veteran transfers who know their role.

Hard to complain about PT distribution so far, but it’s early.

My early concerns are transition defense - Joe can’t worry about bitching to refs this year at all- defensive rebounding and Jessie’s ability to stay out of foul trouble.

The zone might be better than terrible, which was my concern. But that Corner 3 is going to be a problem.

It’s fun to know that we can shoot our selves back into nearly any game. I think we’ll be fun to watch most nights, but there is going to be a night or two when we’re not getting good looks or making 3s. That’s going to be really hard to watch.

100%. Louisville and FSU comes to mind when thinking of teams that will give this roster difficulty getting open looks.

Last edited:
Agreed with the above.

A lot to like ... but it was Lafayette and some still flashing yellows ... corner threes, stopping the other guy's fast break, and any foul trouble.

It was a fun game. I wish we had a better ball handler for when we get pressured. Unfortunately we wont know more until the Bahamas.

The assists were great, and we've struggled with that in recent years. They seem to enjoy playing together. Lot's to like about the team; but I still keep thinking about what might have been.

Let’s slow our H0T Takes this morning before declaring that we’ve upgraded every position in the great 2021 portal swap.

Marek did some very effective things against high end teams last year and his play making was off the charts good for a guy his size.

Same with Q, he helped us a lot in conference play. Though, he did struggle down the stretch.

I love what I see with Cole, but I need more evidence with Jimmy. I didn’t even notice Cole was struggling in the first half because he was active in other ways than scoring. Love to see that.

This is going to be a really easy team for jB to coach. Not many decisions to make rotationally. Veteran transfers who know their role.

My early concerns are transition defense - Joe can’t worry about bitching to refs this year at all- defensive rebounding and Jessie’s ability to stay out of foul trouble.

The zone might be better than terrible, which was my concern. But that Corner 3 is going to be a problem.

It’s fun to know that we can shoot our selves back into nearly any game. I think we’ll be fun to watch most nights, but there is going to be a night or two when we’re not getting good looks or making 3s. That’s going to be really hard to watch.
Fast guards and tight man to man defense is going to be our Achilles heel this year.

Yes, I remember last year Brent Axe was hyping QG as a superstar, 1st team all ACC after a couple of non conference games where he could play bully ball against the likes of Colgate. That was premature and then he got matched up with ACC size and athleticism and had his challenges. I still think this team is a couple games better than last years squad, which should keep them above the bubble

Last edited:

I’m not worried about our offense. We have plenty of offensive weapons and good chemistry and should be among KenPom’s top 20 teams in offensive efficiency for most of the season. We were able to score against stout defensive teams UVA and San Diego State in the post season, and Cole, Jimmy and Benny are upgrades on offense at the forward spots, and Buddy and Joe should be improved. My concern is defensive athleticism and defensive rebounding. We’ll see how that shakes out.

Agree this was just the first game against a lower level team, however we did a lot of nice things. I at least have high hope for this team, and suspect we will be a difficult team to beat.
On the upside I doubled my money at Ballys in Vegas last night because they covered.

Last edited:
It was a fun game. I wish we had a better ball handler for when we get pressured. Unfortunately we wont know more until the Bahamas.

The assists were great, and we've struggled with that in recent years. They seem to enjoy playing together. Lot's to like about the team; but I still keep thinking about what might have been.
The aspect of JB's system that alleviates this is that he doesnt rely on one player to handle when pressured. We will have four capable ball handlers on the floor in most situations and the man with the best matchup will be beringing the ball up the court against pressure a la John Wallace, Todd Burgan, and many others. Not just the point guard.

Really excited about our chemistry. Whether the defense is improved is still very much TBD. The last six years, we've always looked good against the Layfayette's and taken care of business against those teams (with the exception of Bryant LY, which you could say was largely because of the COVID pause). Here's our full takeaways from game one.

Agreed with the above.

A lot to like ... but it was Lafayette and some still flashing yellows ... corner threes, stopping the other guy's fast break, and any foul trouble.
Exactly how hard did you think the guys should play against a team they were rolling?

Need to see how Jimmy, Jesse and Frank hold up vs ACC sized forwards and bigs. Thats my concern and last night, though entertaining, can’t really be used to make an assessment on it.

I am going to chill and enjoy the season. We will have some struggles along the way. Hell I even predicted we cut the nets down in April….to much fire power and the Boeheim boys live out their basketball dream together with their dad.

With the guys we got, we are going to have a couple open every game that will be able to just shoot over their defender. There aren't to many teams out there that have the length needed to guard all our shooters. It is quite clear this team is going to be good, however it is equally clear there is still a lot of room for improvement. With the chemistry this team displays, I don't think it will take long for that improvement to shine through. As stated earlier, Atlantis will be where we see what they are made of. It won't be all about the W, as much as we want it, but to see the growth that will come in those few days. How we come out of that will be a good determining factor on how the rest f the season will go.

Once again Jake was all over it from day 1. This team desperately needs a Marek or Q.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom