It's nice to finally be proud about some offensive stats... | Syracusefan.com

It's nice to finally be proud about some offensive stats...

Rocco

Watching you.
Just through 2 games...

Eric Dungey:

59-91... 64.8%
610 yards (305/game)
5 TDs
1 Int

44 yds rushing
1 TD

Amba Etta-Tawo:

20 rec (10 rec/game)
313 yds (151.5 yds/game)
3 TDs

Erv Philips:

20 rec (10 rec/game)
139 yds (69.5 yds/game)
1 TD

Steve Ishmael:

10 rec (5 rec/game)
101 yds (50.5 yds/game)

Imagine what these will look like once the offense starts gelling? It's going to be fun watch this offense grow and get better. It's so nice to finally have offensive stats to be proud about.

Yes, great we made it though the 2 weekends wo sig injuries. ED is running way too much and relentlessly. A function of the offense i guess.

Barf...although how many of those defensive guys played on Sunday's?
Steve Gregory, Tanard Jackson, Ryan Lacasse, Jameel McClain. Did Anthony or Kelin Smith?

Phillips is well on his way to potentially punching his ticket.

Steve Gregory, Tanard Jackson, Ryan Lacasse, Jameel McClain. Did Anthony or Kelin Smith?

Yes, Anthony Smith played for Steelers. Was a royal POS as a human being, too.

More glass half full stats: The 28 points we scored on UL was the most points we've scored on a ranked opponent in the Carrier Dome since WV in 2011 when we scored 49. Before that you have to go back to 2007 vs. Cinn when we scored 31 in a loss. This is only game 2 of a new era.

The 62 points scored on us was the most... well, you already know.

I'm focusing on the full half of the glass.

More glass half full stats: The 28 points we scored on UL was the most points we've scored on a ranked opponent in the Carrier Dome since WV in 2011 when we scored 49. Before that you have to go back to 2007 vs. Cinn when we scored 31 in a loss. This is only game 2 of a new era..
I know people are pointing to 426 yards and 28 points as signs of offensive progress, but I think those numbers are just due to the extra possessions. I believe the offense had 18 possessions and only managed to score four times. I doubt that success rate (22.2%) is significantly better than Shafer offenses.

Last edited:
I know people are pointing to 426 yards and 28 points as signs of offensive progress, but I think those numbers are just due to the extra possessions. I believe the offense had 18 possessions and only managed to score four times. I doubt that success rate (22.2%) is significantly better Shafer offenses.
You may be right. But it felt different. It was like waiting for it to pop and anticipating success, rather than being surprised to string a drive together. I think that feeling matters. If the fans sense it, the players absolutely do.

I know people are pointing to 426 yards and 28 points as signs of offensive progress, but I think those numbers are just due to the extra possessions. I believe the offense had 18 possessions and only managed to score four times. I doubt that success rate (22.2%) is significantly better Shafer offenses.
yards per play 71st out of 194 games since 2000

same as the south florida game last year

it's definitely half empty half full. depends on if you think louisville's defense is dominant.

Ish88888 said:
Yes, great we made it though the 2 weekends wo sig injuries. ED is running way too much and relentlessly. A function of the offense i guess.

You railing against this offense will end with looking silly. He runs because they are still learning the O and the line has not gelled yet. And Louisville has some NFL players.

donniesyracuse said:

No doubt that the rate could and should be higher. But more chances means more time to recover from mistakes. That's huge.

If you're down 21 in the first half and you have 9 more possessions it's a lot more hopeful than 5.

20 teams scored more than 50 points this week, including one team that lost. If you can't score in today's game, you are doomed.

LVille has 3 NFL 1st rounders on their defense, maybe more, and will have a few more drafted. That's one of the toughest defenses we will play all year, if not the toughest.

Even though our offense is still incubating, we made that good of a defense look silly at times. It's promising.

I do agree that Dungey needs to not leap and hit in the air anymore this year. That was crazy.

It's interesting that people continue to use total yards as some sort of measuring stick.

We are currently 100th in yards per play which takes into account the drastic increase in number of plays per game. That's not good no matter how shiny things look. We're actually lower in ypp at this point than last year under our old staff. Those are the facts.

Will this offense be statistically good moving forward this year? Maybe. Is this offense statistically good through our 1st 2 games this season? The answer is no.

Attempting to use total yards as a measure leads to a false analysis unless it's 800 total yards in a game then ypp probably won't matter.

Further, if you use points per play SU is currently 84th and was 52nd last year. Once again, small sample size so things may change.

People really need to understand how running 25 extra plays a game skews the numbers being touted as historical and record breaking to date.

Wrong. Its points per game that count not yards.

Wrong? Numbers don't lie. They just are. Points per game is a false narrative if you don't account for pace of play.

It doesn't take an statistics degree to understand you will score more points if you run 25 more plays per game. Additionally, you will give up more points per game. It's simple math.

Pretty sure Millhouse understands.

Wrong? Numbers don't lie. They just are. Points per game is a false narrative if you don't account for pace of play.

It doesn't take an statistics degree to understand you will score more points if you run 25 more plays per game. Additionally, you will give up more points per game. It's simple math.

Pretty sure Millhouse understands.
All of these people who think football is only based on offense have that understanding because they play video game football or have a fantasy team where that is the case .