It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

So we're half of a week from the All-Star break. Is it safe to say that the '16 draft class had the most disappointing debut in NBA history? Simmons is obviously getting close to his debut, but does anyone see a legitimate star from that draft class yet? I don't.

(and remember Embiid is a '14)

So we're half of a week from the All-Star break. Is it safe to say that the '16 draft class had the most disappointing debut in NBA history? Simmons is obviously getting close to his debut, but does anyone see a legitimate star from that draft class yet? I don't.

Very good point. Not much production at all yet. I do think Brandon Ingram will be a very good player, but he has a long ways to go.

Looking forward to seeing Simmons play.

One of the top 3 shooters in NBA history would disagree with you.

There's a really good chance the second best rookie this year is Billy Hernangomez, and he was picked in 2015. Seriously, he's averaging 15-14 per 36 with a 58% true shooting.

Weird.

I wasn't a fan of Jaylen Brown but he is definitely a player in the future. He is behind Jae Crowder for a good team. I think Brown will average double digits next year. He is getting more playing time now and has done better.
Brown has gotten 15 MPG and is averaging 6 PPG.
With the players taken after Brown I guess Ainge picked well. I wanted Murray 3rd.

I wasn't a fan of Jaylen Brown but he is definitely a player in the future. He is behind Jae Crowder for a good team. I think Brown will average double digits next year. He is getting more playing time now and has done better.
Brown has gotten 15 MPG and is averaging 6 PPG.
With the players taken after Brown I guess Ainge picked well. I wanted Murray 3rd.

I trust in Ainge even more than I trust in Babers and Miami Dolphins HC Gase.

Nice trade for both Orlando and Toronto.

Ibaka for Terrence Ross and a late 1st round pick. Curious to see what the other teams in the East do. Wizards have an obvious need on the bench. Celtics could really use a center. Cavs are still the best in the East but with Love being out for at least 6 weeks and potentially the year, they might be screwed against the Warriors anyways.

Nice trade for both Orlando and Toronto.

Ibaka for Terrence Ross and a late 1st round pick. Curious to see what the other teams in the East do. Wizards have an obvious need on the bench. Celtics could really use a center. Cavs are still the best in the East but with Love being out for at least 6 weeks and potentially the year, they might be screwed against the Warriors anyways.
Awful trade for Orlando.
They traded Victor Oladipo and 1st round pick Damous Sabonis for Ibaka.

They got a late first round pick and rotation piece for the same player 7 months later.

This tells me the trade market is a buyers market and sellers won't get a lot.
Boston wants Magic C Nikola Vucevic. If Ibaka doesn't command a lot Boston can get Vucevic for a first round pick,expiring contract and maybe Terry Rosier at most.

Awful trade for Orlando.

They got a late first round pick and rotation piece for the same player 7 months later.

Boston wants Magic C Nikola Vucevic. If Ibaka doesn't command a lot Boston can get Vucevic for a first round pick,expiring contract and maybe Terry Rosier at most.

There's a big difference between Ibaka and Vuc though; Ibaka is a FA this summer, Vuc is signed at a very reasonable number for the next 2 plus this season. he should have a lot more trade value than Ibaka.

Without Love unless Lue plays LeBron all these minutes or the Cavs trade Love for Melo I think Boston could catch Cleveland in the regular season.
Cleveland is up 2 games right now. Boston only has 1 West swing left and the only good teams they play are LA Clips and Golden State.

Love missing 6 weeks will hurt Cleveland in back to backs as they have little depth.

Has Cleveland gone to Houston and SA yet?

Without Love unless Lue plays LeBron all these minutes or the Cavs trade Love for Melo I think Boston could catch Cleveland in the regular season.
Love missing 6 weeks will hurt Cleveland in back to backs as they have little depth.

I guess the only good thing for Cleveland is that one of the 6 weeks is the AS break, but Boston is only 2 games back, so yeah, they definitely have a chance to catch them.

They have 2 head to head games left, and Cleveland has won the first 2, so it's probably really a 3 game lead, which gives them an extra cushion.

I guess the only good thing for Cleveland is that one of the 6 weeks is the AS break, but Boston is only 2 games back, so yeah, they definitely have a chance to catch them.

They have 2 head to head games left, and Cleveland has won the first 2, so it's probably really a 3 game lead, which gives them an extra cushion.
Yeah both remaining head to heads are in Boston though.
I don't think Boston can beat Cleveland anyway unless they traded this year's Nets pick for either Cousins or George.
If they added one of those two maybe with home court but if Cleveland fails to 2nd they would potentially have to beat both Washington and Boston instead of just one. I think Washington will finish 3rd, Toronto 4th and then if Atlanta doesn't fire sale them 5th.

Awful trade for Orlando.

The awful trade was the first one. This trade was pretty good for them IMO.

The first trade will always be looked at negatively, although I think Oladipo is a quietly below-average NBA player who was also a terrible fit in Orlando. If Sabonis doesn't pan out (which he certainly hasn't yet), I don't think it was a bad trade for Orlando at all really. For what Orlando needs, I'd say Ross > Oladipo and the draft pick they acquired could easily end up being better than what Sabonis has shown so far.

I think you're probably right about Vucevic. I mean, they've been rumored to be trying to get rid of him for awhile now.

Also, Love is only reportedly out for 6 weeks, but some teams reportedly believe he's done for the year, in which case that would change everything in the East.

Also, Love is only reportedly out for 6 weeks, but some teams reportedly believe he's done for the year, in which case that would change everything in the East.

Oh wow, really? Melo to the cavs! of course nothing really to get back, if love is out

Oh wow, really? Melo to the cavs! of course nothing really to get back, if love is out

I would think this makes Love even more attractive to the Knicks. Acquire an all-star while greatly improving the tank at the same time. I can't see Cleveland doing it though.

I would think this makes Love even more attractive to the Knicks. Acquire an all-star while greatly improving the tank at the same time. I can't see Cleveland doing it though.

If Cleveland knows he's out for the year (hypothetically) I wonder if they almost have to? Lebron is still incredible, but he's over 30, he ain't getting any younger. You need to maximize every shot to win the title, right?

The injury forces Lue to either burn out LeBron to get HCA or just concede and keep LeBron fresh.
I don't see the Cavs trading Love for Melo. Especially after LeBron's PC in DC last Monday.
Cleveland needs to keep Kyrie and LeBron healthy. As long as the rosters stays the same in East if those two are healthy they will win the East.

The injury forces Lue to either burn out LeBron to get HCA or just concede and keep LeBron fresh.
I don't see the Cavs trading Love for Melo. Especially after LeBron's PC in DC last Monday.
Cleveland needs to keep Kyrie and LeBron healthy. As long as the rosters stays the same in East if those two are healthy they will win the East.

this is what they need to do. Conceding home court is fine if Lebron is healthy

If Cleveland knows he's out for the year (hypothetically) I wonder if they almost have to? Lebron is still incredible, but he's over 30, he ain't getting any younger. You need to maximize every shot to win the title, right?

I heard Love could be back before six weeks, but let him rest, be ready for the playoffs. Long-term, though, as a Cavs fan, I feel it may time after the season for a big trade. Love is always getting hurt.

In the meantime, while he's out, the Cavs will have time to work in Korver and Derrick Williams who, call me crazy, I think could turn out to be a very good pickup and a superb situation for him after being in nothing but loser locker rooms his first 5 1/2 seasons.

He doesn't have to be a star, just a good role player, which is how some had him pegged when the Cavs were pondering whether to take Kyrie or Williams with the first pick in 2011. Now they have three of the top four picks from that draft (Thompson was picked fourth).

And while he is 32 and in his 14th season, LBJ is still going strong and looking pretty, pretty, pretty good.
The Cavs and LeBron are mindful of the minutes -- he was leading the league in minutes till last week -- and they'll do the right thing. The mission is a healthy crew for the playoffs and, even without Love, I think they're gonna end up with the top seed in the East.

Plus, as LeBron says, no worries, as long as they have him. Brash, for sure, but I like his attitude. LeBron James not worried about Kevin Love's injury: 'As long as I'm in the lineup we've got a chance'

Draymond is such an idiot. Why would you even debate that foul call, let alone freak out enough to get kicked out the game over it? Especially when he screams "and 1!" every single time he goes to the hole. Ridiculous reaction. I think he's just trying to bully the refs and has been for awhile now.

This idiot already cost his team one championship. Take it down a notch.

I am okay losing but this ref should be fired.
He watches the play calls nothing and then Butler misses and he blows the whistle.
It's hilariously late. The call wasn't completely awful but the timing was pathetic.

C41lPYnW8AIwvgX

LOL on my DVR the ref didn't make until after the red light came on and Butler missed.