It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

Tres cool seeing Larry Sanders check into the Cavs-Detroit game for the final two minutes of tonight's game, nice move by Lue. Crowd loved it, gave him a lotta love, players did, too. Could be another nice pickup for Cavs -- Deron Williams fitting in real nice already -- I just hope, for Sanders' sake, he doesn't room with JR or Shumpert on the road.

Tres cool seeing Larry Sanders check into the Cavs-Detroit game for the final two minutes of tonight's game, nice move by Lue. Crowd loved it, gave him a lotta love, players did, too. Could be another nice pickup for Cavs -- Deron Williams fitting in real nice already -- I just hope, for Sanders' sake, he doesn't room with JR or Shumpert on the road.

I think it's a no lose situation for CLE. I do agree with the roomie recommendation. Definitely have him stay in the no-smoking suite.

Last night's PDX/SAS game was amazing. Kudos to the Blazers for getting the big win. Lillard was amazing.

Kawhi had two insane dunks, but they couldn't get this one.

They really need Tony back. I know he isn't what he was, but he really can still help getting O going.

Is anyone else a little worried about Ball's dad? Maybe Im being stupid but I might think twice before taking him #1
he started this media thing on local LA radio and it's grown from there. I've heard him a lot; he's funny as hell - and he knows exactly what he's doing.

Lavar Bell is making Marv Marinovich, Richard Williams, Earl Woods look like normal parents.

Lavar Bell is trying to make himself the Kris Jenner(I only know who this is because my GF DVRs that chit show) of NBA parents.

The Jordan 1 on 1 stuff is insane. Lonzo is a good prospect but not 1986 Michael Jordan would beat the snot out of him athletically in a 1 on 1 game.

he doesn't remotely compare to Marv Marinovich (nor does Richard Williams, btw). The Ball boys have never been in any trouble and all seem to be fine young men (as are the Williams sisters - fine young women, that is). It's tough enough raising kids who don't have exceptional abilities - it must daunting to marshal kids with this kind of athletic talent through the wilds of coaches and agents and assorted hangers-on all with their own agendas.

As a rule I think it's a bad idea to question other people's parenting choices unless something has gone way off the tracks and, in this case, I think LaVar should be applauded.

he started this media thing on local LA radio and it's grown from there. I've heard him a lot; he's funny as hell - and he knows exactly what he's doing.

he doesn't remotely compare to Marv Marinovich (nor does Richard Williams, btw). The Ball boys have never been in any trouble and all seem to be fine young men (as are the Williams sisters - fine young women, that is). It's tough enough raising kids who don't have exceptional abilities - it must daunting to marshal kids with this kind of athletic talent through the wilds of coaches and agents and assorted hangers-on all with their own agendas.

As a rule I think it's a bad idea to question other people's parenting choices unless something has gone way off the tracks and, in this case, I think LaVar should be applauded.

Yeah I was thinking of the Williams sisters also, and you can't say anything bad about how they turned out.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on Richie Williams ... he did a great job with Serena and Venus.

As for LaVar Ball, people are taking him way too seriously. I doubt he thinks he could've taken Jordan one-on-one. He has a mic, a platform, he's working people, he's getting his 15 minutes. His kid Lonzo seems to laugh it all off, says that's how his old man's always been.

That's all fine and dandy, I wish his kid well, except tonight when my alma mater is gonna shock and awe UCLA, but I hope Pops keeps his pontificating within the Ball family and leaves other parents' 12-year-old kids outta the discussion.
LaVar Ball tried to cut down LeBron James' ultra-talented son with atrociously twisted logic

I worry that people are going to dislike the kids solely because of his clown comments.

LaVar Bell's Twitter feed is must follow.

This guy could get elected POTUS if he wanted to be President.

I highly recommend the GSW/OKC game. Just started. Curry has all eight points for GSW so far.

Should be a fun one.

I highly recommend the GSW/OKC game. Just started. Curry has all eight points for GSW so far.

Should be a fun one.

I take it back. GSW is mopping the floor with them. Steph has 6 threes half way through the third quarter.

So who in the west has any kind of shot to beat GS with Durant? I'm thinking SA and HOU. No heart lob city would get swept if they played the Warriors.

So who in the west has any kind of shot to beat GS with Durant? I'm thinking SA and HOU. No heart lob city would get swept if they played the Warriors.

honestly? probably no one. But I would think the Spurs have the best chance. Houston would have to get super hot from 3, which if any team aside from GS could, I guess its them

I agree with you wholeheartedly on Richie Williams ... he did a great job with Serena and Venus.

As for LaVar Ball, people are taking him way too seriously. I doubt he thinks he could've taken Jordan one-on-one. He has a mic, a platform, he's working people, he's getting his 15 minutes. His kid Lonzo seems to laugh it all off, says that's how his old man's always been.

That's all fine and dandy, I wish his kid well, except tonight when my alma mater is gonna shock and awe UCLA, but I hope Pops keeps his pontificating within the Ball family and leaves other parents' 12-year-old kids outta the discussion.
LaVar Ball tried to cut down LeBron James' ultra-talented son with atrociously twisted logic

Hate to respond to my own post, but I was wondering if LeBron would react to LaVar Ball bringing LBJ's kids into the discussion -- and he has. Good for him.

LeBron James message for LaVar Ball: 'Keep my kids' name out of your mouth'

With KD? SAS and Houston probably. Not that I think they would win, but I do think GSW/Utah would be a fun second round series.

SAS' offense relies so much on Kawhi, that I think it will be tough for SAS to get four games from GSW. I really think Kawhi would have to be the best player in the series and SAS' second unit would have to significantly beat GSW's second unit.

Houston has the crazy chance to have two games where they just nail like 20 three pointers and Harden gets 12 FTs and they win.

Nobody throws missed punches like NBA players.

Lopez/Ibaka got me ready for the Playoffs though!!

NBA schedule could easily be reduced to 76 games.
Play your four division rivals four times. Two home/Two road. 16 games

Play the other ten teams in your conference three times. One home/One road and then the 3rd game alternates each year from home/road. 30 games

Play the other conference home/home. 30 games.

16 + 30 + 30 = 76 games.
Less back to backs on the road. Less need to rest players because it's 6 games less on the body.

Make the money lost up by selling an NBA rights deal with an internet company like google/Twitter for a weekly package.

NBA schedule could easily be reduced to 76 games.
Play your four division rivals four times. Two home/Two road. 16 games

Play the other ten teams in your conference three times. One home/One road and then the 3rd game alternates each year from home/road. 30 games

Play the other conference home/home. 30 games.

16 + 30 + 30 = 76 games.
Less back to backs on the road. Less need to rest players because it's 6 games less on the body.

Make the money lost up by selling an NBA rights deal with an internet company like google/Twitter for a weekly package.
I think, no matter the number of games, players would take games off.

I propose that each player be permitted to miss (not dress if healthy) two games per season. If they're held out for additional games, the team is responsible for reimbursing 50% of the face value of non-luxury box tickets to the home team fans. If both the home and visiting team hold players out, the fan would get be reimbursed 100% of the face value of the ticket.

I think if you lightened the schedule you'd see a significant drop in the number of guys sitting out. Would it drop to 0? Probably not, and that's also probably not reasonable to expect. I dont know how close they can come to completely eliminating back to backs, but it would go a long way.

I think if you lightened the schedule you'd see a significant drop in the number of guys sitting out. Would it drop to 0? Probably not, and that's also probably not reasonable to expect. I dont know how close they can come to completely eliminating back to backs, but it would go a long way.
82 to 76 does this exactly.
Nobody expects it to be 0 games.
6 less games basically cuts 2 weeks off the current schedule. More games could be spread out.

Teams play on average 3-4 games a week.

Cutting 6 games is a start. Owners won't do it without revenue replacing 3 home games but the owners should worry about the TV deal going down if they don't fix things. The TV money is more than the average home gate. The problem is each owner controls 67% of their own gate money while the TV money is divided equally.

Rich teams like the Lakers/Knicks/Bulls/Celtics can charge insane amounts to sit court side and those owners can keep that money. If they lose 3 home games owners need a replacement source of revenue. Thus selling an internet partner window or selling ads on the jerseys could replace that revenue and should be enough.

GE is paying the Celtics 25 million dollars to wear a GE patch on their jersey the next 2 years. That money isn't shared with other teams. More teams are going to do the soccer thing.
celtics.jpg

Not a fan but it's going to happen.

82 to 76 does this exactly.
Nobody expects it to be 0 games.
6 less games basically cuts 2 weeks off the current schedule. More games could be spread out.

Teams play on average 3-4 games a week.

Cutting 6 games is a start. Owners won't do it without revenue replacing 3 home games but the owners should worry about the TV deal going down if they don't fix things. The TV money is more than the average home gate. The problem is each owner controls 67% of their own gate money while the TV money is divided equally.

Rich teams like the Lakers/Knicks/Bulls/Celtics can charge insane amounts to sit court side and those owners can keep that money. If they lose 3 home games owners need a replacement source of revenue. Thus selling an internet partner window or selling ads on the jerseys could replace that revenue and should be enough.

GE is paying the Celtics 25 million dollars to wear a GE patch on their jersey the next 2 years. That money isn't shared with other teams. More teams are going to do the soccer thing.
celtics.jpg

Not a fan but it's going to happen.

They're also extending the season a week or so I think?

As far as I know, the teams have to at least share that revenue with the players, so maybe you can make something up there