It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

He could have scored 100 if he made shots in the first quarter.
Boston basically giving 1 on 1 with Isaiah Thomas as his primary defender.
Boston was up 20 points most of the game and just let Booker score and score back.

If it was Isaiah it only counts as 40 then ;).

John Wall with 18 points and 5 assists on 8-8 shooting...in the first quarter!!

Odd situation today where the Clippers won and clinched a playoff spot, yet the Jazz have one less loss and the same number of wins but have not yet clinched. Anybody know how that works?

If the Wizards win this game. I think Boston will get the 1 seed. Cleveland goes to San Antonio on Monday.

Odd situation today where the Clippers won and clinched a playoff spot, yet the Jazz have one less loss and the same number of wins but have not yet clinched. Anybody know how that works?

That's super weird; the Clippers won the season series from Utah, so would win any tiebreaker over them, maybe that's it?

I've been sitting on a Jazz to win the division bet since the season started; they should be ok, but i'm getting a tad concerned

Cleveland - Turns on the defense in the postseason or is this a legit issue for them?
Turns it on. I will say though if Cleveland has to play both Washington and Boston it will take more games than the last few years.
Cleveland is going to romp the East though unless Kyrie and/or Love get hurt.
If Boston had Durant and Washington got Boogie they would be challenged hard.

It's almost too easy a comp because of the school, but Fox reminds me of a left handed John Wall.

Definitely has some shooting work to do (as does John Wall), but his defense is fantastic.

Would love for the Knicks to get him (and not play the triangle).

Turns it on. I will say though if Cleveland has to play both Washington and Boston it will take more games than the last few years.

I agree with this. Might take a little more effort, but they are still on a different level than Boston or Washington or Toronto.

I agree, Cavs will figure it out. Just gotta get -- and keep -- guys healthy. JR's a good wing defender, he's just getting his legs back. And they need Shumpert to defend the Walls, et al., not Kyrie.

Too bad Bogut's Cavs career only lasted 58 seconds, they could use him in spots to help Thompson, and give him some rest. Really too bad the Birdman wrecked his knee early in the season, Would love to see that free spirit comin' off the bench here and there.

Not sure what's going on with Derrick Williams. He seemed to be playing well, was being talked about as a possible defensive ace in the hole for the playoffs, but he's had a string of DNPs.

Maybe he's part of Ty Lue's "secret plan." Who knows? Stay tuned.
Tyronn Lue's secret plan to fix the Cavaliers' porous defense

It's almost too easy a comp because of the school, but Fox reminds me of a left handed John Wall.

I think Wall was and is on another level of a passer compared to Fox, but you can definitely see some similarities. I also feel like Wall was and is a much better shooter than Fox, but it's not exactly a strength of either guy.

Edit: This is subject to change, but I think I'd rather take Dennis Smith or Fox than Lonzo as an NBA prospect. I think Smith and Fox's flaws are fixable or at least aren't fatal. I'm not so sure that's the case with Lonzo.

I think Wall was and is on another level of a passer compared to Fox, but you can definitely see some similarities. I also feel like Wall was and is a much better shooter than Fox, but it's not exactly a strength of either guy.

Edit: This is subject to change, but I think I'd rather take Dennis Smith or Fox than Lonzo as an NBA prospect. I think Smith and Fox's flaws are fixable or at least aren't fatal. I'm not so sure that's the case with Lonzo.

For whatever it's worth (meh, I dunno), Fox had an assist rate of 28.6% in college, Wall was ove 34%. Fox had a much lower turnover rate though.

Part of the reason I like fox so much; his 3 most similar players on Ken Pom (based purely on college): Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, John Wall.

For whatever it's worth (meh, I dunno), Fox had an assist rate of 28.6% in college, Wall was ove 34%. Fox had a much lower turnover rate though.

Part of the reason I like fox so much; his 3 most similar players on Ken Pom (based purely on college): Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, John Wall.

I don't really see Kyrie at all, but I can see the other two comps for sure. Fox is just a blur on the court. If you can surround him with enough shooting to outweigh his struggles, he'll be great in the NBA IMO. He probably needs to bulk up a bit to really take advantage of his athleticism at the next level, but I like him a lot.

I don't really like Lonzo as a prospect. I'd probably take him in the 6-10 range in the draft, but I think there's a pretty high likelihood that he's a bust in the NBA.

I don't really see Kyrie at all, but I can see the other two comps for sure. Fox is just a blur on the court. If you can surround him with enough shooting to outweigh his struggles, he'll be great in the NBA IMO. He probably needs to bulk up a bit to really take advantage of his athleticism at the next level, but I like him a lot.

I don't really like Lonzo as a prospect. I'd probably take him in the 6-10 range in the draft, but I think there's a pretty high likelihood that he's a bust in the NBA.

I don't see Kyrie either; that's just what the stats say. (And remember, Kyrie played like ten games that year?)

On Ball, I didn't realize this till a poster on a different board pointed it out; he shot 67% from the line this year. I NEVER would have guessed that

I don't see Kyrie either; that's just what the stats say. (And remember, Kyrie played like ten games that year?)

On Ball, I didn't realize this till a poster on a different board pointed it out; he shot 67% from the line this year. I NEVER would have guessed that

Yeah, both he and Fultz struggled at the FT line for guys that are supposed to be good-great shooters. That's not even my concern with Ball though. I just think he's more in the Ennis mold of passing rather than being a true creator. If he has a guy open, Ball will find him every time, but if his teammates are covered and he has to put pressure on the defense to create openings for his teammates, I don't have much faith that he'll be able to do it. He's not very quick and isn't a very good ball-handler. And even worse, with his shooting mechanics, I think NBA defenses will dare him to pull-up in the pick-and-roll the way they do with Ricky Rubio.

And the UK-UCLA game made my concerns with Ball's defense pretty obvious to anybody that watched. I'd still take Ball in that 6-10 range and hope he tightens his handle/tweaks his mechanics, but I think he has potential fatal flaws on both sides of the ball. I think he actually might be best suited to play SG in the NBA as a guy that can spot up, attack close-outs, and make good cuts off the ball, and he'll have a much better chance of surviving defensively as a SG.

Edit: Right now, I think my big board for the lottery would be:

Tier 1:
Fultz

Tier 2:
Josh Jackson

Tier 3:
Jayson Tatum
Dennis Smith
Lauri Markkanen
De'Aaron Fox
Lonzo Ball
Malik Monk

Tier 4:
Frank Ntilikina
Jonathan Isaac

Tier 5:
Justin Jackson
John Collins
Justin Patton
Miles Bridges

Yeah, both he and Fultz struggled at the FT line for guys that are supposed to be good-great shooters. That's not even my concern with Ball though. I just think he's more in the Ennis mold of passing rather than being a true creator. If he has a guy open, Ball will find him every time, but if his teammates are covered and he has to put pressure on the defense to create openings for his teammates, I don't have much faith that he'll be able to do it. He's not very quick and isn't a very good ball-handler. And even worse, with his shooting mechanics, I think NBA defenses will dare him to pull-up in the pick-and-roll the way they do with Ricky Rubio.

And the UK-UCLA game made my concerns with Ball's defense pretty obvious to anybody that watched. I'd still take Ball in that 6-10 range and hope he tightens his handle/tweaks his mechanics, but I think he has potential fatal flaws on both sides of the ball. I think he actually might be best suited to play SG in the NBA as a guy that can spot up, attack close-outs, and make good cuts off the ball, and he'll have a much better chance of surviving defensively as a SG.

Tier 1:
Fultz

Tier 2:
Josh Jackson

Tier 3:
Jayson Tatum
Dennis Smith
Lauri Markkanen
De'Aaron Fox
Lonzo Ball
Malik Monk

Tier 4:
Frank Ntilikina
Jonathan Isaac

Tier 5:
Justin Jackson
John Collins
Justin Patton
Miles Bridges
I think Dennis Smith is going to get abused on the defensive end.

I think Dennis Smith is going to get abused on the defensive end.

I think he very well could too. He looked pathetic against Gillon. The current version of Dennis really bothers me a lot; his BBIQ is just so poor and the effort level is often poor too, but there's just so many flashes of superstardom in him and I think some of his issues are things that can improve with coaching.

Tier 1:
Fultz

Tier 2:
Josh Jackson

Tier 3:
Jayson Tatum
Dennis Smith
Lauri Markkanen
De'Aaron Fox
Lonzo Ball
Malik Monk

Tier 4:
Frank Ntilikina
Jonathan Isaac

Tier 5:
Justin Jackson
John Collins
Justin Patton
Miles Bridges

I'm totally with you on Ball. I really enjoy watching him play, but his athletic ceiling, his defense and his shot really worry me. Also, he's been in the same system for like half a decade now, what happens if he goes to an NBA team that isn't going to be running the Lavar Ball offense?

His shot, to me, is really broken. I know it goes in, but outside of Courtney Lee, I don't remember anyone having success with a shot that is as unusual as Ball's shot. And, Lee is catching and shooting, where Ball will have be off the dribble a lot more.

In today's NBA, you can't be a top tier PG and not be able to shoot.

For a top three pick, I want a guy that, at worst, is going to be one of my final five guys on the floor in a playoff game. And if a guy can't play defense at all, he better be a dead-eye shot and I don't see that with Ball.

Back to your list, and note I'm always cynical on all players succeeding in the NBA, I really think Fox would be fantastic on a team with shooters and a good shot coach. I know you can say that about most people, but his defense, speed and length can really translate to the NBA. His shot, to me, can be improved and I can see him being a decent to very good 3 pt shooter by his second year.

[EDIT: As a Knicks fan, I hope they draft Fox, fire Phil, hire a Spurs assistant and move Kristaps to the five full time]

I'm totally with you on Ball. I really enjoy watching him play, but his athletic ceiling, his defense and his shot really worry me. Also, he's been in the same system for like half a decade now, what happens if he goes to an NBA team that isn't going to be running the Lavar Ball offense?

His shot, to me, is really broken. I know it goes in, but outside of Courtney Lee, I don't remember anyone having success with a shot that is as unusual as Ball's shot. And, Lee is catching and shooting, where Ball will have be off the dribble a lot more.

In today's NBA, you can't be a top tier PG and not be able to shoot.

For a top three pick, I want a guy that, at worst, is going to be one of my final five guys on the floor in a playoff game. And if a guy can't play defense at all, he better be a dead-eye shot and I don't see that with Ball.

Back to your list, and note I'm always cynical on all players succeeding in the NBA, I really think Fox would be fantastic on a team with shooters and a good shot coach. I know you can say that about most people, but his defense, speed and length can really translate to the NBA. His shot, to me, can be improved and I can see him being a decent to very good 3 pt shooter by his second year.

[EDIT: As a Knicks fan, I hope they draft Fox, fire Phil, hire a Spurs assistant and move Kristaps to the five full time]

Yeah, I like Fox a lot. If you're going to have a center that can shoot the way Porzingis can, you can put together a roster that compliments Fox very well and if you can do that, I think he's going to be a stud.