Its super sad | Syracusefan.com

Its super sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcsu

Living Legend
I have been watching SU since i was 5 or 6 years old and want to express my feeling about this season and the direction of the program. My family Had Jim at our kitchen table asking me to play for Cuse if I would go to a prep and get bigger. I was a local kid but made my mark at a HS all-star tourney in the Poconos before AAU or any of the stuff today existed. Long story short I didn't get to know JB as I ended up going D2. Over the years as a fan, and supporter of the program I have marveled like all of us at what an amazing coach he is. Sure, he has issues like we all do but other than putting down his players in public i can put up with all of his quirks and actually think he is and has been great. My wife and I'm sure many of our loved ones on this site have died of cancer and what Jim and Julie have done to support that cause is simply amazing. He has always been Syracuse's best supporter and his love of the University and area are unparallel. Jim is SU basketball, and, in many ways, he is the face of SU.
I had hoped that he would stick with the Hop plan but for whatever reason, my two cents are he wasn't going to let the Chancellor, or anyone tell him when he was done. He wasn't done and Hop headed West. Since that time, we have had great moments, but we have also seen a steady decline in the program. Today we are at a very low point. Giving up 100 to Gate, blowing numerous games and being out of the Tournament at mid-season is unchartered waters for us. The fact that we might end up with a losing season is pretty much beyond belief. In short, this isn't a good year and unless something changes soon it's not going to improve.
The sadness for me is that it is happening with both of his kids being starters and leaders of minutes played. I had hoped that we would have had a solid year. Didn't have to be spectacular but a nice year. 7.9 seed and a win or two in the tournament with Jim leaving along with his sons. At this point that isn't going to happen and now we are heading into a strange place. JB is talking about Jimmy coming back. Buddy who knows but I would expect him as well. Our star recruit is being put down in public. Basically, it looks like the wheels are about to come off. Let's hope that we win the next game, pull it together and close this year out strong. If not, it's going to become difficult for everyone on the Hill. Most especially Jim and JW. Sorry for the rant but this sucks for everyone involved.

I have been watching SU since i was 5 or 6 years old and want to express my feeling about this season and the direction of the program. My family Had Jim at our kitchen table asking me to play for Cuse if I would go to a prep and get bigger. I was a local kid but made my mark at a HS all-star tourney in the Poconos before AAU or any of the stuff today existed. Long story short I didn't get to know JB as I ended up going D2. Over the years as a fan, and supporter of the program I have marveled like all of us at what an amazing coach he is. Sure, he has issues like we all do but other than putting down his players in public i can put up with all of his quirks and actually think he is and has been great. My wife and I'm sure many of our loved ones on this site have died of cancer and what Jim and Julie have done to support that cause is simply amazing. He has always been Syracuse's best supporter and his love of the University and area are unparallel. Jim is SU basketball, and, in many ways, he is the face of SU.
I had hoped that he would stick with the Hop plan but for whatever reason, my two cents are he wasn't going to let the Chancellor, or anyone tell him when he was done. He wasn't done and Hop headed West. Since that time, we have had great moments, but we have also seen a steady decline in the program. Today we are at a very low point. Giving up 100 to Gate, blowing numerous games and being out of the Tournament at mid-season is unchartered waters for us. The fact that we might end up with a losing season is pretty much beyond belief. In short, this isn't a good year and unless something changes soon it's not going to improve.
The sadness for me is that it is happening with both of his kids being starters and leaders of minutes played. I had hoped that we would have had a solid year. Didn't have to be spectacular but a nice year. 7.9 seed and a win or two in the tournament with Jim leaving along with his sons. At this point that isn't going to happen and now we are heading into a strange place. JB is talking about Jimmy coming back. Buddy who knows but I would expect him as well. Our star recruit is being put down in public. Basically, it looks like the wheels are about to come off. Let's hope that we win the next game, pull it together and close this year out strong. If not, it's going to become difficult for everyone on the Hill. Most especially Jim and JW. Sorry for the rant but this sucks for everyone involved.
Good post, I respect your passion for the program and know you bleed orange. I don’t think anything you have said is crazy

a I liked your rant. It was from the heart.
I love SU probably more than I should and its why i go off the rails and make an arse out of myself half the time on this board. As a kid i used to wait for the paper to arrive. Couldn't wait to read about basketball. Football weekends were the best. The Old Scout, cutting the line ups out and going to the game with my dad. Rain or shine we would always get a loaf from Columbus and hit the Varsity. If I ever got lost my dad told me to simply " Meet at Lincoln" . Roy's Runts, Shagging balls for Bens teams, The Pstate games, Watching the academies enter Arch, Being in awe of UCLA when they came to town sitting there wondering what California was like, Listening to Joel, Up the invisible ladder on radio and of course the great moments with The Lee Brothers, Sweet D and his magical pre game, The Miami loss when Chris came up short, The Owens craziness, Destroying Pstate, Manley is officially closed and most recently some of Jims great runs in the tournament. All pure magic. Today I want that back. Want SU to be great again as I know we can. It makes me sick to see the program in this position and even sadder because of his kids. I hope that somehow Jim catches lighting in a bottle and turns it around. Maybe a late season run, and we pull of a miracle. I don't know but I do know I hate where we currently are.

I wish more people would talk this way. JB was trying for a Hollywood ending and he’s getting the opposite. It is incredibly sad, considering everything he’s done for the program, the university, and the community. He deserved to go out on his terms. He did not deserve for it to end this way.

I wish more people would talk this way. JB was trying for a Hollywood ending and he’s getting the opposite. It is incredibly sad, considering everything he’s done for the program, the university, and the community. He deserved to go out on his terms. He did not deserve for it to end this way.
These are his terms.

He’s playing an Ivy League forward over 35 minutes a game and sometimes at center.. he’s playing a miscast pg an inordinate number of minutes and purposefully created a roster deficit so this couldn’t be questioned

There is a difference between going out on your terms and going out on good terms

This is inspirational flow of consciousness writing. You have a talent.

The stew's not done cooking yet.

I love SU probably more than I should and its why i go off the rails and make an arse out of myself half the time on this board. As a kid i used to wait for the paper to arrive. Couldn't wait to read about basketball. Football weekends were the best. The Old Scout, cutting the line ups out and going to the game with my dad. Rain or shine we would always get a loaf from Columbus and hit the Varsity. If I ever got lost my dad told me to simply " Meet at Lincoln" . Roy's Runts, Shagging balls for Bens teams, The Pstate games, Watching the academies enter Arch, Being in awe of UCLA when they came to town sitting there wondering what California was like, Listening to Joel, Up the invisible ladder on radio and of course the great moments with The Lee Brothers, Sweet D and his magical pre game, The Miami loss when Chris came up short, The Owens craziness, Destroying Pstate, Manley is officially closed and most recently some of Jims great runs in the tournament. All pure magic. Today I want that back. Want SU to be great again as I know we can. It makes me sick to see the program in this position and even sadder because of his kids. I hope that somehow Jim catches lighting in a bottle and turns it around. Maybe a late season run, and we pull of a miracle. I don't know but I do know I hate where we currently are.
Lightening in a bottle is great for Jim, and another nail in the coffin for SU basketball. Jim has moved the baseline from regular season and conference success to 2-3 wins in the NCAA tournament.
In the long run, Benny and Frank leaving, and ripping coach, and a couple of incoming kids going portal before they play, saying they don’t want to play for a coach who talks about his players like that, would be best long term. It will force JW’s hand and make him have to go outside of the program for the next coach.

Last edited:
The risk with having your kids play for you as a coach especially in a big time D1 blue blood program. Bad enough when its little league and parents complain about playing time, now you have national pundits, boosters, fans who pay to go games. Revenue is at stake, its a business.

Its a feel good story, at least it was. Pretty poor judgement IMO and poor management of a really good team last year. Looking like the same pattern will happen next year with a host of transfers and same team returning. I like all the players individually they just don’t fit as a team, our ceiling Is low. So glad Edwards stayed (he was iffy), he has been the bright spot and really has kept us in games despite his foul troubles.

It’s always hard to see leaders go out especially the ones who wont leave, they usually get pushed out and it ends up in a bitter ending. Like the way Roy W handled it as well as coach K…..am sure they both had discussions about making sure the program was handed off such that it was in a better position than when they arrived. At minimum would like to see a announcement of a coach in waiting and date, even if JB has one more year. He will lose the fans and potentially the team again if he brings back his kids next year.

JB literally looked like he was about to cry in the last FSU presser.

As much as I dislike the decisions he has made over recent seasons and the direction of things and i do think the current problems are largely of his own (stubborn/selfish) doing...etc...I don't want to see him in agony like this...

Its really a sad way to go out for a true champion of the game...that has brought me and this fanbase many many years of excitement and thrills...

even if there isnt a mircale to come...will be very interesting to see where it goes from here

I really wish JB could continue coaching forever if the program could sustain a high level of success. As much as I dislike the zone and its warts, and all the other stuff we critique, he is the only head coach I've ever known at Syracuse. Reality though, is a different beast. The next chapter needs to begin. And it just gets delayed if Gerry or Red take over.

I am sure JB agrees with everyone here that he is not bigger than the program he built.

and I do think he knows the program is and has been on a decline.

What is also apparent to me is he has this unwavering determination that he is responsible for it's resurrection and he is the only one capable of doing so instead of handing this hot mess to someone else. He is not going to admit defeat and this is why it's sad.

The Old Scout, Arnie Burdick was good friends with my uncle who was a photographer at the Herald-Journal where Arnie Burdick worked as a sports reporter. I used to walk to my uncle's house in Syracuse when The Old Scout was there to visit him. In my opinion, The Old Scout was head and shoulders above any sports reporter at that time and in this modern-day. The way he reported SU games, in stories, was epic. And when you listened to his stories in person they were mesmerizing.

JAB and Juli have given their all for the program and community; this goes without question.

When you know it’s time to give up a lifelong dream and turn over the reins to another is often a much more difficult task, especially for someone who has invested in that dream for as long as Coach has.

To me, he will always be Cuse Basketball!

Having said that; there is a time under heaven for all things and I hope for the benefit of the program that he figures it out soon.

My wife tells me I’m too impatient. I try to remember this as i glance at a calendar that still reads “January”.
College bball is a redemptive sport, where 2 good weeks in March can make all the difference, & erase all warts.
Hoping that the “Ol’ perfesser” still has one more decent run in him, but i can’t feel sorry for him putting himself in this position.
In retrospect the first sign of major program disfunction was JB hanging on and pushing out Hop. It seemed odd at the time, but we all kinda shrugged and moved on. Why? We were still winning games.
Now, the bandage is off and there’s a gaping wound exposed. We can either treat the wound and flush out the toxins to heal, or we can put the bandage back on and resume business as usual.
Having no other choice, I’ll wait it out like the rest of you, hoping for a turnaround, but resigned to the likelihood that it won’t happen. JMHO

My wife tells me I’m too impatient. I try to remember this as i glance at a calendar that still reads “January”.
College bball is a redemptive sport, where 2 good weeks in March can make all the difference, & erase all warts.
Hoping that the “Ol’ perfesser” still has one more decent run in him, but i can’t feel sorry for him putting himself in this position.
In retrospect the first sign of major program disfunction was JB hanging on and pushing out Hop. It seemed odd at the time, but we all kinda shrugged and moved on. Why? We were still winning games.
Now, the bandage is off and there’s a gaping wound exposed. We can either treat the wound and flush out the toxins to heal, or we can put the bandage back on and resume business as usual.
Having no other choice, I’ll wait it out like the rest of you, hoping for a turnaround, but resigned to the likelihood that it won’t happen. JMHO
There is only one "ol' perfesser" and that is/was Casey Stengel.

As for JB and nearly every aged coach who hangs on and hangs on: Either you end up killing the thing you love or the thing you love kills you. In his case, both are coming true, figuratively speaking, of course.

I've spoken with him a number of times over the years and he's engaging, modest and charming. I'd like to be cranky with him about what's happened to the program but then there's the other side of him that's so easy to like. Sadly, I find myself choosing cranky these days.

Last edited:
How many think we would not be in this position if we were in the BE?

Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom