It's Time to Pull the Plug on Babers | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

It's Time to Pull the Plug on Babers

I am still a strong believer in Dino. I think that next year, after some difficult decisions and perhaps some pink slips, we will be back on track.

That said, Dino's cake ain't looking so hot these days. See you for Wake.

Screenshot_20191124-231809~4.png

That isn't what anyone said. If the kids don't qualify and can't get into Syracuse, they can't attend.

There are a ton of schools that relax their admission standards for athletes and there a some that don't (Stanford, Notre Dame, etc.). There are also schools that have ridiculously low admission standards to begin with. Louisville is one of those schools along with West Virginia, Michigan State, etc. I think there are some schools where the only qualifications are that you have to have skin and at least one tooth.

Just a fact.

Then how about you relax the standard or just drop out of D1 if we're going to be an academic school

How the in the world do you know that?
SU will admit kids with the minimum NCAA required GPA and ACT or SAT. Louisville or any other school has to meet the same minimum requirements. Some schools such as Stanford apply higher standards. SU has had a kid or two who didn't get into Stanford accepted into SU. Im not sure how a kid that doesnt meet the minimum NCAA requirements get into Louisville vs SU. I actually dont think they can which is why i only gave it a 1% variance.

10 Win pays him time to build the program.
He is not permanent because of that season.
It would take a huge implosion for him to be fired next season.
All this nonsense talk about pulling the plug is way beyond knee jerk reaction.
Sure you can point to the first two season and yell BUT FOUR WINS EACH.
It's called a rebuild for a reason.
He gets a big pass on season one and two.
This season will be his first X on his resume at Syracuse.
You don't fire a coach for one X.
We've become a huge victim of success that literally no one saw coming last season.
i agree with this. i do have a question though, what/how do u think dino needs to do/change to improve his position?? seriously--not just one word, win--

Louisville is pretty much an open enrollment school. Just about anyone with a pulse is admitted. It draws students from an area where the high schools are very week and UL serves a Southern urban area.

So football players, who are not well prepared academically are sitting in classes with non-football players who are similar to them.

This is not true at SU. It’s certainly not Harvard, but it’s a long way from Louisville or Memphis. You aren’t doing these kids any favor by putting them in classes where they are mystified by the content or the discussion. At UL there’s less of a chance that will happen.

i agree with this. i do have a question though, what/how do u think dino needs to do/change to improve his position?? seriously--not just one word, win--
Defensive Cord needs to be a home run hire, this is going to be the most important hire of his career.
Bring into a fresh viewpoint of the offense. The play calling really misses having a third voice it seems.
Burn all the red zone plays and start over from ground zero.
Long hard look at all the defensive coaches. Are they helping or hurting the team at this point, do we have to shuffle some guys around or do we need to replace some guys.
I think one HUGE thing is giving some of the kids some run in the Wake game. Get some of those young WR mixed into the game and maybe even see if what Richards can do with more then a handful of plays.
The last part of my wish list is DO NOT play J. Jordan NO MATTER WHAT.

Having an IPF is just getting us to where everybody else was 5-10 years ago. It was a "me too" build when we should have had one before everyone else because of our climate, yet we were one of the last.

No foresight, no vision for the future...always playing catch up will always keep us in the bottom half of FBS football.
Syracuse has had an indoor facility since 1980*. Since 2008 they’ve had two. With the addition of the IPF it now has three. I’m not aware of any other programs that have access to three of their own indoor facilities.

* in the Spring of 1982 I participated in team training activities in the Dome (we would jog there from Manley)

Defensive Cord needs to be a home run hire, this is going to be the most important hire of his career.
Bring into a fresh viewpoint of the offense. The play calling really misses having a third voice it seems.
Burn all the red zone plays and start over from ground zero.
Long hard look at all the defensive coaches. Are they helping or hurting the team at this point, do we have to shuffle some guys around or do we need to replace some guys.
I think one HUGE thing is giving some of the kids some run in the Wake game. Get some of those young WR mixed into the game and maybe even see if what Richards can do with more then a handful of plays.
The last part of my wish list is DO NOT play J. Jordan NO MATTER WHAT.
excellent!!!! i would add imho only, do not recruit anymore pro style pocket passers, and look hard at all coaches.

SU will admit kids with the minimum NCAA required GPA and ACT or SAT. Louisville or any other school has to meet the same minimum requirements. Some schools such as Stanford apply higher standards. SU has had a kid or two who didn't get into Stanford accepted into SU. Im not sure how a kid that doesnt meet the minimum NCAA requirements get into Louisville vs SU. I actually dont think they can which is why i only gave it a 1% variance.

you are wrong.

excellent!!!! i would add imho only, do not recruit anymore pro style pocket passers, and look hard at all coaches.
I think pro style QB can work in this offense, but we might need a dual threat one to be elite in the ACC.
Will be interesting to see what Tommy can do with a much improved OLine (hopefully).

you are wrong.
Please give me an example. One player that SU denied admission to during Dinos time FOR ACADEMIC REASONS that met the minimum NCAA academic standards. Just one.

Please give me an example. One player that SU denied admission to during Dinos time FOR ACADEMIC REASONS that met the minimum NCAA academic standards. Just one.
Do you think the disparity in admission standards began when Babers was hired? Why do you think Duke/NC/UVa all held their noses and approved Lousiville's invitation in order to retain Clemson and FSU? It sure as hell wasn't their standing as a highly-rated research university.

Come on SU is not exactly Harvard. Most of the players are probably not enrolled in Newhouse, architecture or engineering.
BC has been in a bowl 17 of the last 20 years.

BC composite SAT 1405
SU composite SAT 1255

Similar recruiting issues. You can routinely bowl with higher academics. We should be in a better position than them, in that regard.

Clemson composite 1305
VTech composite 1268
Pitt composite 1330
FSU composite 1260
Virginia 1365

Last edited:
Do you think the disparity in admission standards began when Babers was hired? Why do you think Duke/NC/UVa all held their noses and approved Lousiville's invitation in order to retain Clemson and FSU? It sure as hell wasn't their standing as a highly-rated research university.
Please read my question. Im only asking about SUs admission standards for Football players.
I realize that SU has much higher standards than Louisville for the general student population.

BC has been in a bowl 17 of the last 20 years.

BC composite SAT 1405
SU composite SAT 1255

Similar recruiting issues. You can routinely bowl with higher academics. We should be in a better position than them, in that regard.

Clemson composite 1305
VTech composite 1268
Pitt composite 1330
FSU composite 1260
Virginia 1365

Wow, given all the (justified) FSU and VPI mocking we do, that tells me one thing: SU needs to get a little more selective in admissions.

we don’t recruit them. Lville is open admissions, SU isn’t. SU allows only x number of “at risk” students, Lville doesn’t.

Wow, given all the (justified) FSU and VPI mocking we do, that tells me one thing: SU needs to get a little more selective in admissions.

There's people who get in who shouldn't because they have $$$$$...

Offsets the others that get in based on academics..

There's people who get in who shouldn't because they have $$$$$...

Offsets the others that get in based on academics..

Then the same would hold true for high level athletes. If they're NCAA eligible, we'll take them. I don't believe the academic argument holds nearly as much weight as some think. Heck, even Harvard will drop their requirements and let a 1250 sat student in for football.

Record isn’t as important for me next as how we play. If we are year 1/2 4-8 then I’ll still have faith. If we are cluster F 4-8 like this year, I will be all out. But I still think he comes back for one more year as a dead man walking.

Honestly I think this could be hard to gauge. We can't possibly be worse than last year, we are so bad in so many ways there can't be anything but some level of improvement next year for people to hang their hat on. But just like people pronouncing MD as one of the best teams in the B10, there's lot of H0T Takes and poor analysis on here.

we don’t recruit them. Lville is open admissions, SU isn’t. SU allows only x number of “at risk” students, Lville doesn’t.
There are no open admissions. There are minimum NCAA admission requirements. SU and Louisville along with most of the ACC teams use this standard. Duke and Notre Dame i believe are the exceptions.

Honestly I think this could be hard to gauge. We can't possibly be worse than last year, we are so bad in so many ways there can't be anything but some level of improvement next year for people to hang their hat on. But just like people pronouncing MD as one of the best teams in the B10, there's lot of H0T Takes and poor analysis on here.

Use stats. Our point differential is pretty bad. Our yards per play on both sides of the ball is awful. If we are losing one score games and are Top 75 on both sides of the ball, that is improvement.

Use stats. Our point differential is pretty bad. Our yards per play on both sides of the ball is awful. If we are losing one score games and are Top 75 on both sides of the ball, that is improvement.

Exactly, I agree.

That's not what I meant by my post though. Some people will grasp at any marginal gain even though it would be possible to not have any marginal gain somewhere after this year.

There are no open admissions. There are minimum NCAA admission requirements. SU and Louisville along with most of the ACC teams use this standard. Duke and Notre Dame i believe are the exceptions.

nevermind. You don’t understand what I mean by open admissions or do you know what at risk students are. Just know this. Getting admitted to Lville as an athlete is far easier than SU and most ACC schools. Several schools didn’t even want Lville because if academics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom