It's Time to Pull the Plug on Babers | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

It's Time to Pull the Plug on Babers

Our schedule this year is ridiculously weak. We played how many ranked teams...1 ?
I agree with that as well, which goes to my earlier point if we dont make a bowl game again next year its time to Fire Dino.

I do. Syracuse has so much to offer. Great and getting better facilities, the ACCN, top class education, opportunity to play some of the best teams in the country, and the only climate controlled stadium in the east which within a year will become one of the best venues in all of College football. Simply put baring an injury to our starting QB SU should always be in a bowl game. We should always land a top 50 recruiting class, every 3-4 years we should have an exceptional season. We should never have a losing season and never field a team that gives up 600 yards. That is what SU should expect and im sure that is the Administration's goal.

That's a lot different than recognizing we have a recruiting liability based on our location.

My thought process is to give a coach 4 years regardless. 10-3 last year bought him 2 more years so he has 2 more years to get some bowl wins. 6-6 in my eyes buys you an extension of 1 year. So 8-5 would be at least another year in the bank

That's a lot different than recognizing we have a recruiting liability based on our location.
The first 2 years had a QB injury. And this year TD has been playing hurt

I agree with that as well, which goes to my earlier point if we dont make a bowl game again next year its time to Fire Dino.
I totally disagree with you, I think Dino is the right guy. I think the board and administration has to properly fund the program to win, Period.

So do 80% of all schools. Add Indiana and Nebraska to the list.

We don't get them because we don't have the facilities Louisville invested in. That cater to athletes with all the "bells and whistles".

we don’t get lville players because 1/2 of them couldn’t get in or handle the academics. We don’t recruit too many of them. Lville takes a ton of high risk kids and somehow keeps them eligible. It’s why a lot of people didn’t want them in the acc.

A "great" season for Marrone in his last year is very debatable and an exaggeration in my opinion. A 6-6 regular season that included a miracle comeback against USF and an eeked-out win against Missouri, who was without All-American Sheldon Richardson is not what I'd call "great."

As for Dino - I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but man do I have a lot of doubts these days. This season has been an abject disaster and is shaping up to be the third 4-8 seasons in Dino's four seasons here. There's not much of a positive spin to put on that, unfortunately.

6 losses? When did that happen? And what, was the bowl win worth 2?

How many 8 win seasons has this program put together in the last 20 years?

Coach Mac was 18-25-1 in his first four years and Dino is currently 22- 26. Yeah, I get it its harder to compete in todays environment, but nobody seemed to think that last year. Lets see what Dino can do going forward. I don't think anyone here is happy, but I would personally like to see what he can do with a little more time. If after 2-3 yrs its still 4-8 then its time to go. But for those who want him gone today, I'd love to hear about his replacement.

Even addressing this topic in a serious manner makes my hair hurt...and I’m bald headed!
Bottom line, we can’t go around firing coaches at the whim of message board yahoos, ie; the OP.
We need stability, continuity, and a long-term perspective, which is not always easy in our microwave society of instant gratification.
HCDFB is our best chance for long term sustained success.
Now if this type of debacle continues for a couple more years, then we can talk. But suggesting this action now at this stage, is not only premature, but borderline moronic. JMHO

I’m so over this narrative. Syracuse is exactly where it was 30 years ago. Yes location isnt ideal but neither is the middle of nowhere PA.

I’m so over this narrative. Syracuse is exactly where it was 30 years ago. Yes location isnt ideal but neither is the middle of nowhere PA.

It's not a narrative it's a simple fact. Who was the last local boy made good at SU, Gedney? Will Allen? Chandler Jones?

Pennsylvania produces a ton of talent and has a culture of sending kids to Penn State a relatively short drive away.

It's not a narrative it's a simple fact. Who was the last local boy made good at SU, Gedney? Will Allen? Chandler Jones?

Pennsylvania produces a ton of talent and has a culture of sending kids to Penn State a relatively short drive away.
I’d buy this a lot more if for instance, there was no Boise State.
They’ve been able to have sustained success operating out in the boonies. They have a formula; 3 stars and transfers, something we can surely emulate.
IMO, it’s a cop out to lean on the “we’re so disadvantaged in recruiting” mantra. We’ve won before, and we can win again.

They’ve been able to have sustained success operating out in the boonies. They have a formula; 3 stars and transfers, something we can surely emulate.
IMO, it’s a cop out to lean on the “we’re so disadvantaged in recruiting” mantra. We’ve won before, and we can win again.

Boise State is loaded up with California kids. And it's become a destination market.

Back in the day we did somewhat similar with FL kids.

I’m just guessing here, but I assume it’s a lot harder to get into SU academically than it is Boise. Therefore, easier for them to get an elite athlete who may be a fringe student?

There are other factors at play beyond the location of the school which has not moved since we were a dominant program 30 years ago.

we don’t get lville players because 1/2 of them couldn’t get in or handle the academics. We don’t recruit too many of them. Lville takes a ton of high risk kids and somehow keeps them eligible. It’s why a lot of people didn’t want them in the acc.
I didn't mean the actual Louisville recruits that whooped us but kids on that level of athleticism. There are kids out there that are that good and can get into the University of Syracuse.

Captain obvious here. Superman does not exist and if he did he is not walking through that door. Our success, the largest part of which, depends on recruiting. I would turn down the job of recruiting for Syracuse. It is a losing proposition. Since we cannot sell success our only chance with recruits is to sell a turn-around story. Instead of, show me the money, recruits want to see, show me the new facilities, the new investments. If we want to turn over a new leaf, we have to gamble on new state-of-the-art facilities and over-the-top player amenities. Babers is not the problem. Location is not the problem. Academics is not the problem. The problem is our reputation.

Come on SU is not exactly Harvard. Most of the players are probably not enrolled in Newhouse, architecture or engineering.

Come on SU is not exactly Harvard. Most of the players are probably not enrolled in Newhouse, architecture or engineering.
Bees is right, a lot of their kids would have a hard time getting into community college...

Gentlemen,

Faith is belief without evidence...but we cannot believe if we had one fluke season out of four in Babers tenure here. Wildhack and the Athletic Department better get moving...and moving fast. Babers is in over his head. Look at the stats...

Our Record
2016...4-8
2017...4-8
2018...10-3; and I honestly do not give him much credit that year led by a senior quarterback in Eric Dungey, 5th year senior wideout in Custis, veteran offensive line and most importantly a weak strength of schedule. Louisville was down last year...Florida State was down last year...UNC was very bad that year, but are much better this year as they may make a bowl this year. That record was a paper tiger.
2019...soon to be 4-8 after an increase in season tickets.

Overall record...22-27 with a fluke 10-3 season in there. Guys the ACC is not a gauntlet...Take out the outlier and its an average record of 4-8. This is Shafer-esque. Our defense is getting shredded and our offense has been figured out.

Player Morale
Dino has lost this team...Harris with his outbursts which are visible on the field...players laughing and joking around on the sideline after getting their butts kicked in. DIno does not even look engaged on the sideline. I saw the same loss of emotion with Marrone the year before he left. It is a sense of giving up or he doesn't know how to fix the issue.

Recruiting
We are recruiting worse and worse every year. We are at the bottom of the ACC in recruiting even after a 10 win season. We already fired our D-coordinator. Face it---Dino's defense is pathetic with the talent that is back there. The offense is not the new fast as we have got out-gained throughout the year.

My passion is still there, but tonight and this season was an eye-opener. Disucss.
Judging from how many likes the o.p. got, I'm guessing not a lot of people agree.

Probably should have fired Mac after his 5-7 year...you know, the one before the undefeated year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom