Its time to switch it up on D | Syracusefan.com

Its time to switch it up on D

Orange2389

2nd String
While we have a good defense this year, the fact remains that the 3 pointer can kill the zone. College ball is relying on the 3 pointer more than ever. When teams like Maryland and Virginia go bananas against us from 3, we lose almost every time. I would like us to keep the zone as the primary defense but switch it up with some man and the press. Teams know how to execute against the zone better than they did 10 years ago. Not to mention a bigger attraction to recruits who refuse to play only zone.

what say you?

While we have a good defense this year, the fact remains that the 3 pointer can kill the zone. College ball is relying on the 3 pointer more than ever. When teams like Maryland and Virginia go bananas against us from 3, we lose almost every time. I would like us to keep the zone as the primary defense but switch it up with some man and the press. Teams know how to execute against the zone better than they did 10 years ago. Not to mention a bigger attraction to recruits who refuse to play only zone.

what say you?

crickets.

I think the board is coming close to running out of things to complain about.

This was always going to be a tough year. We knew that. And now we are living through that. Battle is let superstarring each night, Frank is a turnover factory and we have little offense on the frontline.

Living through it is tough. Scholarship reductions, some recruiting missed and early departures have destabilized the program to be NIT teeterers for the past four years.

This squad is more of a mid-Major team than high-level ACC team. But the Zone is our one and perhaps only strength. No way should this team abandon the one bedrock it has.

what say you?
You're spitting into the wind.

what say you?
I think our stationary, predictable, and terrible offense is what scares top recruits off!

Our defense is the one thing that we don’t need to switch!

what say you?

This is an annual post, thanks for keeping up the tradition.

It's just more comical than usual this year, with this team.

We’re not switching to man . But perhaps we should modify the types of athletes we recruit so that we put an emphasis on skill rather than defensive zone potential ...at least for some of the positions

Virginia shot a whopping 9-27 from deep. So average. Probably below their season average.

what say you?
The offense is the problem. Not the defense

Well Huerter made like 7 himself so that can’t be right.

Opposing rams are shooting 33.2 percent against us from three. Not our best defensive season against the 3, but not bad. The offense is the problem on this team.

I read it wrong.

Never mind. We shot 3-18.

See how good the zone was that night. ;)

Even though Huerter torched us that night, the numbers you put out there are further evidence that offense is our issue.

JB has often pointed out that man for man doesn't mean you are going to defend the three better. This team should be good at stopping the three from a zone because we have a 7-2 shot blocker that allows us to extend the defense. And out on the perimeter, there's little difference in technique between man for man and zone. You've got to keep contact with the shooters.

Other teams seem to be able to switch from zone to man for man against us but JB had a great run of #1 ranked and final four teams when we went all zone after the 2009 LeMoyne game, so he's not going to shift back. I'm more interested in using more defensive pressure. We could use it for 10 seconds as Pat suggests and drop back into the zone. It would get us more turnovers and fast breaks and force the other team to not send 5 guys to the boards. it would also give them less time to solve the zone once they pass the mid court line. And we seem to be good at pressing, despite JB's glum assessments. Our lack of depth might prevent us from doing it for 40 minutes but we should still be able to do it for a few possessions at a time.

I'm ok with the zone, usually am. The offense, let's talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom