I've seen it mentioned by some how expensive a new coach is | Syracusefan.com

I've seen it mentioned by some how expensive a new coach is

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Since if we let Shafer go we'd need to pay both his contract and the new coach's contract, and the new contract might be pretty high in order to get somebody good. So that adds up as money going out.

On the other side of things... unless there's a big time rally we're walking in to next season coming off of a second straight losing season. We have some young guys that we can market around, but it's looking pretty likely that ticket sales are going to be in the tank. That represents potential dollars that are not coming in. That might turn out to be a big part of the equation. How much does Coyle think the expense of an exciting new coach can be offset by a potential uptick in gate, vs not spending that money and likely facing low gate next season?

I think we can all agree that the best case scenario is that the staff turns it around, and we clobber a decent team in a bowl so we ride in to next season with some steam and hopefully better ticket sales. Short of that though... I don't know, this program is in a rough spot and it's not clear what Coyle values. My guess is he's a big picture guy though, and these sorts of things are a big part of his calculus.

Why would do fans worry about money so much? Who gives a F, schools do it all the time. I think we follow UCLA model, keep hiring and firing until you get it right. Quit wasting time, if they want to get rid of shafer they will and I think they will. He's just that bad, he's really bad, GROB was once in a lifetime bad, shafer is just standard really bad, there is a difference but they both have stunk. Just a question if we make same mistake twice and give a bad coach a 4th year

Why would do fans worry about money so much? Who gives a F, schools do it all the time. I think we follow UCLA model, keep hiring and firing until you get it right. Quit wasting time, if they want to get rid of shafer they will and I think they will
I think fans are at least somewhat concerned with money if they're not willing to part with it in order to see the team play.

IthacaBarrel said:
Why would do fans worry about money so much? Who gives a F, schools do it all the time. I think we follow UCLA model, keep hiring and firing until you get it right. Quit wasting time, if they want to get rid of shafer they will and I think they will. He's just that bad, he's really bad, GROB was once in a lifetime bad, shafer is just standard really bad, there is a difference but they both have stunk. Just a question if we make same mistake twice and give a bad coach a 4th year

Syracuse had been cheap in the past so paying a coach who is not employed for awhile was a tough sell. UCLA didn't have the problem apparently.

If we were to average attendance 6,000 higher next year than this year at $30 ticket price for 6 games that would be $1,080,000.

Add on each of those attendees spending an average of $10 in concessions is another $360,000.

Figure that 50% of those people will park in SU lots at an average of $15 each. That's another $270,000.

All told with a new coach that brings optimism to the fanbase the school could conservatively see an additional $1,710,000 in revenue just from a nominal (6,000) increase in ticket sales, concessions and parking.

Just a question if we make same mistake twice and give a bad coach a 4th year

If we fire Shafer this year, rush the hire, and get Grob 2.0, then keeping Shafer one more year isn't such a bad move.

If we were to average attendance 6,000 higher next year than this year at $30 ticket price for 6 games that would be $1,080,000.

Add on each of those attendees spending an average of $10 in concessions is another $360,000.

Figure that 50% of those people will park in SU lots at an average of $15 each. That's another $270,000.

All told with a new coach that brings optimism to the fanbase the school could conservatively see an additional $1,710,000 in revenue just from a nominal (6,000) increase in ticket sales, concessions and parking.
Good post, although I think a 6k increase in attendance is a lot. That's what, 13% of the Dome's capacity.

If we fire Shafer this year, rush the hire, and get Grob 2.0, then keeping Shafer one more year isn't such a bad move.
Do you feel Coyle would handle this the way Gross did?

Good post, although I think a 6k increase in attendance is a lot. That's what, 13% of the Dome's capacity.

Look at Marrone's first year avg. attendance (39.1k) versus Grob's last year (33.4k). That was based on optimism alone since we finished that year 4-8.

Look at Marrone's first year avg. attendance (39.1k) versus Grob's last year (33.4k). That was based on optimism alone since we finished that year 4-8.
Ah, good call then. Definitely possible.

Do you feel Coyle would handle this the way Gross did?

All depends on who's available this year vs next year.

I'd rather get my 1st choice in 2016 than my 5th or 6th choice next month.

This is another one of those red herrings like the hand wringing about coaching stability, salaries, recruits/players leaving, etc. if Shafer is canned. If Coyle knows his job, he has a plan in place to hire a new coach. You only need to rush the hire if you're not prepared to hire a new coach. This isn't brain surgery. Football coaches are a known commodity. You don't have to spend months on end digging out suitable candidates.

We can't be certain that's the scenario.

Shafer reportedly makes $1.4 million per year and has 2 years left. That's $2.8 million without offsets. Assuming no unusual contract provisions, any earnings from another coaching position would be subtracted from the amount owed. A coach can chose go fishing and collect the whole amount, but that is a risky career move in such a competitive industry. As that philosoper Mike Tyson advised you don't want to fade to Bolivian!

The real financial issue is the cost of a new staff. The median for all 128 schools is about $2 million for a head coach and more like $3 million for P5. ACC assistant staff costs range between $2 and $4.4 million per year. I assume we are at the bottom, which would mean $3.4 million for HC and staff. To be competitive, we probably need to spend more like $6 million or close to double.

Do you spend $500 million on a new dome and go cheap on the staff?
Did Coyle get the promise of a competitive budget when he got hired?

In the broader scheme of things these are the real questions - not Scott Shafer staying or going.

Where was Coyle on everybody's list of prospective ADs? The prospective coaching hire pool is a whole lot bigger than the names posted here.

That makes sense but what if we keep him and everything totally bottoms out next year? Even if we are one of the only jobs open, I would imagine the hot name isn't clamoring to come coach in Syracuse. You don't want things to get worse so by keeping you risk that chance. My opinion is get the right fit in here for what Syracuse is and what Coyle wants to do whether it's this year or next year. Don't get pressured into going after the hot name. Get someone that fits what Syracuse is and what Mark Coyle sees as the future of the football program.

That makes sense but what if we keep him and everything totally bottoms out next year? Even if we are one of the only jobs open, I would imagine the hot name isn't clamoring to come coach in Syracuse. You don't want things to get worse so by keeping you risk that chance. My opinion is get the right fit in here for what Syracuse is and what Coyle wants to do whether it's this year or next year. Don't get pressured into going after the hot name. Get someone that fits what Syracuse is and what Mark Coyle sees as the future of the football program.

Not to mention, what if the coach Coyle has targeted for next year goes some place else this year because our job wasn't on offer? There's no point in delaying a decision made based on what you think the college football landscape will look like in a year's time. There's no ideal window for a coaching change.

Who said anything about rushing the hire? We already have GROB 1.5. People are so skewed on what a bad coach looks like because we hired one of the worst coaches in the history of college football 10 years ago

Who said anything about rushing the hire? We already have GROB 1.5. People are so skewed on what a bad coach looks like because we hired one of the worst coaches in the history of college football 10 years ago
It's like when every big man we brought in was compared to Seann Williams.

It's like when every big man we brought in was compared to Seann Williams.

Agreed. There are plenty of good offensive minded head coaches at smaller schools and conferences out there, just need to do a legit search and hire a guy who has proven he can score points with his offense, been a HC and can coach kids to his system. and this guy is either at a smaller school or possibly at the fcs level.
Get the guy and leave him $$ for solid dc.

Like I said we need a guy who has an edge and gambler, just somebody a bit different than these ultra conservative meatheads with hairy ears who want ball control football

It would be nice if they have established recruiting ties already.