I've seen it mentioned by some how expensive a new coach is | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I've seen it mentioned by some how expensive a new coach is

Agreed. There are plenty of good offensive minded head coaches at smaller schools and conferences out there, just need to do a legit search and hire a guy who has proven he can score points with his offense, been a HC and can coach kids to his system. and this guy is either at a smaller school or possibly at the fcs level.
Get the guy and leave him $$ for solid dc.

Like I said we need a guy who has an edge and gambler, just somebody a bit different than these ultra conservative meatheads with hairy ears who want ball control football

I have a strong feeling our AD has the same mindset. This month will be very enlightening about a number of issues...

This will be a bad year to recruit a new head coach. There are now nine FBS vacancies, all of which are arguably more attractive to a coach and his family.

NOTE TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO FIRE HCSS AND PAY A NEW COACH BIG BUCKS: I wait with bated breath for your contributions to the endowment fund for football coaching positions.

Look at Marrone's first year avg. attendance (39.1k) versus Grob's last year (33.4k). That was based on optimism alone since we finished that year 4-8.
Those are highly inflated projections. The only way attendance would increase that much now is if we brought in a huge big-name coach. Take away the LSU game that drew a large number of opposing fans and our home games this fall have averaged 28.6k. The optimism for this football program is not the same for SU in the ACC as it was in the BE back then.

Those are highly inflated projections. The only way attendance would increase that much now is if we brought in a huge big-name coach. Take away the LSU game that drew a large number of opposing fans and our home games this fall have averaged 28.6k. The optimism for this football program is not the same for SU in the ACC as it was in the BE back then.
yeah I agree the casual fan is done until they start winning. Can only get snake bit so many times. Even a coach Mac honoring couldn't bring in the fans. Unless they can bring back Ernie from the grave and trot him out on the field nothing will bring them back.

This will be a bad year to recruit a new head coach. There are now nine FBS vacancies, all of which are arguably more attractive to a coach and his family.

NOTE TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO FIRE HCSS AND PAY A NEW COACH BIG BUCKS: I wait with bated breath for your contributions to the endowment fund for football coaching positions.

Seriously, can it with that garbage. FBS openings by year:

2014-15 had 7 FBS changes
2013-14: 7
2012-13: 14
2011-12: 14
2010-11: 13
2009-10: 11
2008-09: 11

Last 2 years have been abberations.

Well, hard to conclude that 2 data points out of 6 are an aberration. That said, we don't yet have the end of season firings. The total could reach 14or 15 easily. Also, to some degree prior year hirings/ firings may have something to do with 4 ,or 5 years forward numbers.

Since if we let Shafer go we'd need to pay both his contract and the new coach's contract, and the new contract might be pretty high in order to get somebody good. So that adds up as money going out.

On the other side of things... unless there's a big time rally we're walking in to next season coming off of a second straight losing season. We have some young guys that we can market around, but it's looking pretty likely that ticket sales are going to be in the tank. That represents potential dollars that are not coming in. That might turn out to be a big part of the equation. How much does Coyle think the expense of an exciting new coach can be offset by a potential uptick in gate, vs not spending that money and likely facing low gate next season?

I think we can all agree that the best case scenario is that the staff turns it around, and we clobber a decent team in a bowl so we ride in to next season with some steam and hopefully better ticket sales. Short of that though... I don't know, this program is in a rough spot and it's not clear what Coyle values. My guess is he's a big picture guy though, and these sorts of thinCoyle already has a short list made up ready to review if it becomes necessary tho fire Shafer. You can also bet that there will be a Boise connection.

Great post.

Well, hard to conclude that 2 data points out of 6 are an aberration. That said, we don't yet have the end of season firings. The total could reach 14or 15 easily. Also, to some degree prior year hirings/ firings may have something to do with 4 ,or 5 years forward numbers.

I can go farther.

2007-08: 11
2006-07: 13
2005-06: 4
2004-05: 12

Coyle had a great gig at Boise State, he could have been there a very long time. It's also a great town and great college atmosphere.

He didn't take a position here thinking he would be on a shoe string budget for the 1 sport that matters for the rest of the country. The writing is on the wall as far as the football program. Money is being spent, upgrades are happening, progress is being made. Whoever is coaching here will get a real salary or a real salary for the staff. Not ridiculous money but enough to get a quality hire. Coyle is a smart guy.

supp said:
This is another one of those red herrings like the hand wringing about coaching stability, salaries, recruits/players leaving, etc. if Shafer is canned. If Coyle knows his job, he has a plan in place to hire a new coach. You only need to rush the hire if you're not prepared to hire a new coach. This isn't brain surgery. Football coaches are a known commodity. You don't have to spend months on end digging out suitable candidates.
Football coaches are a known commodity? Not so much. There have been a large number of coaches in recent years that were highly successful at one school and shat the bed at their next job. Nothing is a given when it comes to hitting a coach.

All depends on who's available this year vs next year.

I'd rather get my 1st choice in 2016 than my 5th or 6th choice next month.

If only we can find a way to predict the future...

And how many of those 9 will we actually be competing with? 3, maybe 4? Whoever USC is looking at, isn't the same person Syracuse will be looking at.

And how many of those 9 will we actually be competing with? 3, maybe 4? Whoever USC is looking at, isn't the same person Syracuse will be looking at.
Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia will all be in the same neighborhood. We aren't going to get the people Virginia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Georgia, USC will go after.

We just need to make sure will pay market rate and not try to be cheap this time.

Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia will all be in the same neighborhood. We aren't going to get the people Virginia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Georgia, USC will go after.

We just need to make sure will pay market rate and not try to be cheap this time.

Maryland is not in the same neighborhood, and I'd say Virginia won't go after the same kind of candidates we'd go after either (unless it's Riley)

Shafer reportedly makes $1.4 million per year and has 2 years left. That's $2.8 million without offsets. Assuming no unusual contract provisions, any earnings from another coaching position would be subtracted from the amount owed. A coach can chose go fishing and collect the whole amount, but that is a risky career move in such a competitive industry. As that philosoper Mike Tyson advised you don't want to fade to Bolivian!

The real financial issue is the cost of a new staff. The median for all 128 schools is about $2 million for a head coach and more like $3 million for P5. ACC assistant staff costs range between $2 and $4.4 million per year. I assume we are at the bottom, which would mean $3.4 million for HC and staff. To be competitive, we probably need to spend more like $6 million or close to double.

Do you spend $500 million on a new dome and go cheap on the staff?
Did Coyle get the promise of a competitive budget when he got hired?

In the broader scheme of things these are the real questions - not Scott Shafer staying or going.[/QUOTE

Rutgers will be interesting; there have been many complaints over the years on what they spend on football and they're not yet getting a full share of Big 10 money. Maryland too, although Under Armour may pitch in there.

Rutgers will be interesting; there have been many complaints over the years on what they spend on football and they're not yet getting a full share of Big 10 money. Maryland too, although Under Armour may pitch in there.

Rutgers will go hard at Rhule. Guaranteed.

Rutgers will go hard at Rhule. Guaranteed.
Schiano back to Rutgers. I think that happens unless he gets the Miami job. Rhule is going to get a bigger job than Rutgers as long as Temple goes 10-2 and their schedule is soft outside of Memphis remaining.

Schiano back to Rutgers. I think that happens unless he gets the Miami job. Rhule is going to get a bigger job than Rutgers as long as Temple goes 10-2 and their schedule is soft outside of Memphis remaining.

What's the bigger job?

What's the bigger job?
Virginia Tech, Maryland. Those jobs are better than Rutgers. VPI would be a good spot for the guy if he is the real deal.

What's the bigger job?
Maybe better to look at where someone can win. I'd take Miami competing in their division vs RU in theirs.

Virginia Tech, Maryland. Those jobs are better than Rutgers. VPI would be a good spot for the guy if he is the real deal.

Those were the two schools I had in mind too with Rhule. Still, Vippie Sue might fall into the Bud Foster trap and Maryland may shoot higher.

Maybe better to look at where someone can win. I'd take Miami competing in their division vs RU in theirs.

I'd rather walk into the Rutgers job than the Miami job as it is right now. Miami is a quagmire.