Ivy League Tournament Cancelled | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ivy League Tournament Cancelled

Good for the Ivy League being proactive. Harvard just today moved all classes online and told students not to come back from spring break. Princeton and Colombia have also taken proactive measures. The Ivys leading the way.

Why couldn't they have played the three games in an empty gym like others are going to do? And why are their other springs sport teams still out there playing in competition. Seems like an asinine move to me. On top of it, Harvard got screwed big time.

Maybe not. The Ivy League lax teams are still playing and their wrestlers are going to nationals.
One is outdoors and the other won’t actually have attendance beyond families.

Reasonable precautions are one thing, locking up and shutting down everything is irrational. Hysteria is on the verge of taking over at this point, if it hasn't already. I fear we are going to cause a global depression over something that, in the end, may not even be as bad as the flu.
To quote Thomas Jefferson, "How much pain have cost us the evils which have never happened?"

Reasonable precautions are one thing, locking up and shutting down everything is irrational. Hysteria is on the verge of taking over at this point, if it hasn't already. I fear we are going to cause a global depression over something that, in the end, may not even be as bad as the flu.
To quote Thomas Jefferson, "How much pain have cost us the evils which have never happened?"
The virus can be scary, I'm more scared of the global economy though. Covid-19 was just a nudge in the direction it was falling towards inevitably IMO.

One is outdoors and the other won’t actually have attendance beyond families.
2. The NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships have had 10 consecutive sellouts. Since the 2010 championships in Omaha, Neb, the event has sold out arenas around the country, including Madison Square Garden in New York, Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia and Enterprise Center in St. Louis. The current NCAA Wrestling Championships attendance records were set during the 2018 event in Cleveland when a total of 113,743 fans attended over six sessions, including 19,776 for the championship finals

Because canceling a small potato amateur basketball tourney is the type of pain that TJ was referring to

Because canceling a small potato amateur basketball tourney is the type of pain that TJ was referring to

What evils could happen to 20 year old basketball players playing in an empty gym for two hours? if those guys are at risk then the rest of us are toast. One of the most asinine decisions i've ever seen.

What evils could happen to 20 year old basketball players playing in an empty gym for two hours? if those guys are at risk then the rest of us are toast. One of the most asinine decisions i've ever seen.
Yup. And the 20 year old refs, and scorekeepers, and coaches, and training staff, and ancillary folks who have to be there in order to keep the lights on...

People much, much smarter than us and with a great deal more information that us - especially on this subject - are making these decisions. Let's pretend for a moment they might know what they are doing. Even if it's just to prevent lawsuits, those only typically happen if something really bad happens.

People much, much smarter than us and with a great deal more information that us - especially on this subject - are making these decisions. Let's pretend for a moment they might know what they are doing. Even if it's just to prevent lawsuits, those only typically happen if something really bad happens.

I'd rather not pretend, but to me that's the problem. I don't trust that the people making these decisions really know what they're doing (doesn't mean they don't of course). I do think we're a nation that seems to love a good panic and fears an outcry in this social media era.

I'd rather not pretend, but to me that's the problem. I don't trust that the people making these decisions really know what they're doing (doesn't mean they don't of course). I do think we're a nation that seems to love a good panic and fears an outcry in this social media era.
lol ...

Yup. And the 20 year old refs, and scorekeepers, and coaches, and training staff, and ancillary folks who have to be there in order to keep the lights on...

If an Ivy League student wanted to get some of his classmates together to play a pick-up game would that be prohibited? These Ivy League tournament games could be played with just the refs, timekeeper, coaches, players and a few maintenance people. TV and camera crew as well unless they're deemed not essential. These 40+ people will take more risk in their daily lives than they will playing and coaching this basketball game. This is insanity and I'm in no way minimizing the virus.

If an Ivy League student wanted to get some of his classmates together to play a pick-up game would that be prohibited? These Ivy League tournament games could be played with just the refs, timekeeper, coaches, players and a few maintenance people. TV and camera crew as well unless they're deemed not essential. These 40+ people will take more risk in their daily lives than they will playing and coaching this basketball game. This is insanity and I'm in no way minimizing the virus.
Fair point.

The other part of this this is the Ivy League just started this tourney in 2017. I imagine they realize they’ll be fine without it.

The other part of this this is the Ivy League just started this tourney in 2017. I imagine they realize they’ll be fine without it.

That's probably the bigger point. Made it an easier decision for them.

Maybe the Ivy League is putting more of an emphasis on containment? One of these players/student fans comes into contact with an infected. He/she doesnt know and then heads back to campus. Before finding out and being quarantined, he/she comes into contact with hundreds of students and staff. He/she ultimately is deemed to be infected. Now hundreds more individuals need to be quarantined and/or possibly effected hundreds of others. And so it goes ...

It's relatively low stakes (i.e., money) college basketball. They've played a full season. This is a pretty non-disruptive/draconian time to cancel.

Fair point.

Well therein lies the rub. It's not a moneymaker hence they cancel. On the other hand a berth in the NCAA tourney (Yale) is a money maker. hmm...

Maybe the Ivy League is putting more of an emphasis on containment? One of these players/student fans comes into contact with an infected. He/she doesnt know and then heads back to campus. Before finding out and being quarantined, he/she comes into contact with hundreds of students and staff. He/she ultimately is deemed to be infected. Now hundreds more individuals need to be quarantined and/or possibly effected hundreds of others. And so it goes ...

It's relatively low stakes (i.e., money) college basketball. They've played a full season. This is a pretty non-disruptive/draconian time to cancel.

Fair enough but if they're not gonna let these athletes play alone in a gym then they should be slapping a quarantine on everybody on the campus. Dude wants to visit his gf at her apartment or dorm - no go. Lockdown.

Wondering how many conference title games will be played in empty arenas this weekend. Have to think UVM is seriously considering not allowing spectators on Saturday. Will the ACC follow suit if other tourneys make the tough decision later this week?

Wondering how many conference title games will be played in empty arenas this weekend. Have to think UVM is seriously considering not allowing spectators on Saturday. Will the ACC follow suit if other tourneys make the tough decision later this week?

The ACC is already playing games today with no restrictions. I think this week decisions have already been made - full arena or empty (Big West and one other one). Now the NCAAt that may be a different story.

At-large pool just increased by 1.

I guess Syracuse-Cornell lacrosse game will be cancelled and Syracuse lax NC threats just decreased.

Glad we got ours finished this past weekend
Just talked to a high school girl at the Stop and Shop. I asked if they cancelled things at her school. She said they cancelled the hockey tournament after the school had just won their first game. Then she said that the prom is next and she had just bought a dress for $300. Sad times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom