JAB appreciation thread | Syracusefan.com

JAB appreciation thread

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I have stated on here that I am ready to move on, and I stand by that, but that said:
I do not think that we have a player that would play at Duke. Heck, they might not even make the roster, yet there we were, going toe to toe with them.
This can be said for most of our time in the ACC, and we have held our own with them, for the most part.
He can take guys that would not be factors on major rosters and build a competitive team out of them.
And, every year it seems he does it in different ways.
Talent is almost always the ultimate decider of on court success, but JB has outkicked his talent almost every year.
His coaching masks deficiencies and accentuates positives in such a way that people think our players are better than they are.
I truly believe that had he been given equal talent, facilities, etc., he may well be the best coach in basketball in his generation, and perhaps second only to Knight, ever.
He is still under appreciated here and across basketball. If he was a bit less crusty, he would be much more acclaimed.
As fans, we are truly blessed to have him. As Syracuseans, he has put us on the map, and has kept us there, for decades. We owe him much.

Last edited:
First, Hughes is legit. He'd be playing a lot of minutes in Durham.

And to be a negative nellie, this game is about recruiting and talent. We won the trophy in 2003 because of a guy who could do things you can't coach.

Boeheim needs to recruit better. And we need to show we can develop a center, something we have not proven to do since Rick Jackson.

Will continue to say I love JB on gameday.

But this roster, yet again, is flawed and for all the resources the basketball program has, and facilities and tradition that he built, we need to have better talent.

Her's appreciated for what he is as a fan, IMO. But he also set the bar. And we're now probation free, etc., so we need to be better than 13-9, period.

I have stated on here that I am ready to move on, and I stand by that, but that said:
I do not think that we have a player that would play at Duke. Heck, they might not even make the roster, yet there we were, going toe to toe with them.
This can be said for most of our time in the ACC, and we have held our own with them, for the most part.
He can take guys that would not be factors on major rosters and build a competitive team out of them.
Talent is almost always the ultimate decider of on court success, but JB has outkicked his talent almost every year.
His coaching masks deficiencies and accentuates positives in such a way that people think our players are better than they are.
I truly believe that had he been given equal talent, facilities, etc., he may well be the best coach in basketball in his generation, and perhaps second only to Knight, ever.
He is still under appreciated here and across basketball. If he was a bit less crusty, he would be much more acclaimed.
As fans, we are truly blessed to have him. As Syracuseans, he has put us on the map, and has kept us there, for decades. We owe him much.

Huh, although having hard arguing the appreciation part, I feel like you've painted a picture of Syracuse as some low-level school that's just getting by with very few resources and/or name recognition. He built it, but for most of the last 30 years we were a pretty solid brand in the World of college basketball - it's not like we're just getting by recruiting locals kids.

Eh, they recruited Joe. Marek and Hughes would help them or anybody at this point in their careers. Buddy would come off the bench for them as a shooter and zone buster.

Stanley was impressive, but it was really just Carey who was beyond our level.

Just like 2 years ago when they beat us in the tourney, it was just Bagley being the best player on the floor by far that was the difference. That one stud that we just can’t do anything with. Doesn’t help that at the time they’ve got one of the best bigs in the country, we’ve been trying to go to battle with backup caliber centers. We need to get the Fab’s, Dajuan Coleman’s, Christmas’s again - guys who can physically compete with anybody.

First, Hughes is legit. He'd be playing a lot of minutes in Durham.

And to be a negative nellie, this game is about recruiting and talent. We won the trophy in 2003 because of a guy who could do things you can't coach.

Boeheim needs to recruit better. And we need to show we can develop a center, something we have not proven to do since Rick Jackson.

Will continue to say I love JB on gameday.

But this roster, yet again, is flawed and for all the resources the basketball program has, and facilities and tradition that he built, we need to have better talent.

Her's appreciated for what he is as a fan, IMO. But he also set the bar. And we're now probation free, etc., so we need to be better than 13-9, period.

Fab Melo and Rakeem Christmas say high, (well, Rak anyway).
We'll see about Sidibe who has one more year. I think Edwards cold be very good and nobody knows about JBA.

Last edited:
We'll see about Sidibe who has one more year. I think Edwards cold be very good and nobody knows about the other JAB.

By "the other JAB", do you mean JBA?

Eh, they recruited Joe. Marek and Hughes would help them or anybody at this point in their careers. Buddy would come off the bench for them as a shooter and zone buster.

Stanley was impressive, but it was really just Carey who was beyond our level.

Just like 2 years ago when they beat us in the tourney, it was just Bagley being the best player on the floor by far that was the difference. That one stud that we just can’t do anything with. Doesn’t help that at the time they’ve got one of the best bigs in the country, we’ve been trying to go to battle with backup caliber centers. We need to get the Fab’s, Dajuan Coleman’s, Christmas’s again - guys who can physically compete with anybody.
I have said it a thousand times our system REQUIRES quality bigs.

If we have them we will have a good season if not we will struggle.

We need to get the Fab’s, Dajuan Coleman’s, Christmas’s again - guys who can physically compete with anybody.
Except all those big physical dudes you just described are not suited to perform the corner high jump.

Elijah Hughes is a first team all-ACC player this year. He would start at Duke.
Buddy/Dolezaj would play for Duke.
Girard and Sidibe would be buried in the bench.

Duke gets elite talent every year.

Huh, although having hard arguing the appreciation part, I feel like you've painted a picture of Syracuse as some low-level school that's just getting by with very few resources and/or name recognition. He built it, but for most of the last 30 years we were a pretty solid brand in the World of college basketball - it's not like we're just getting by recruiting locals kids.
We rarely had great talent, as evidenced by lack of NBA success.

As stated ad nauseum on the FB board, the house and locker rooms have been sub standard for a long, long time.

The Melo center is nice, but it's fairly commonplace now.

The seminal talents in the JB era are:
Pearl
DC
Rony
Sherm
Warrick
Melo

Borderline
Wes
Dion

My best argument for JB is that he turned Moten into the all time leading scorer in BE history. How many great NBA players, many who played four years, went through that league, yet Moten emerged on top.

We rarely had great talent, as evidenced by lack of NBA success.

As stated ad nauseum on the FB board, the house and locker rooms have been sub standard for a long, long time.

The Melo center is nice, but it's fairly commonplace now.

The seminal talents in the JB era are:
Pearl
DC
Rony
Sherm
Warrick
Melo

Borderline
Wes
Dion

My best argument for JB is that he turned Moten into the all time leading scorer in BE history. How many great NBA players, many who played four years, went through that league, yet Moten emerged on top.

Not too long ago we had Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, Michael Carter Williams, Kris Joseph, James Southerland, and CJ Fair all on the same team...all guys who either played in the NBA or were right on the fringes(Fair) plus solid college talents like Triche and Scoop.

We could compete with anybody in the country talent-wise, athletically, size wise, etc. in the early 10s.

people assume that recruiting at SU will be easy to do and when JB is gone it will get better.. Ask Indiana how that has worked over the yrs.. Kentucky had some down spells too, UNC is struggling now. it aint easy.
Not easy, but look at Louisville now. Kentucky recruits—Cal hasn’t been there all that long... Unc just signed a whole team of 5stars.

Kinda moot to say that it’s going to be difficult when JB is gone. He will be gone, so it’s just a matter of how soon will it be difficult, and then how long it takes to get back to where we need to be. We are still going to have a legacy, the best conference, a 33,000 seat Dome, and the Melo Center to work with. Not exactly chopped liver, enticement/resource-wise.

people assume that recruiting at SU will be easy to do and when JB is gone it will get better.. Ask Indiana how that has worked over the yrs.. Kentucky had some down spells too, UNC is struggling now. it aint easy.

we are struggling now

If Jack White and Jordan Goldwire can play for Duke so can pretty much our entire main rotation.

We'll see about Sidibe who has one more year. I think Edwards cold be very good and nobody knows about the other JAB.

Rak. Good call. He stepped up his senior year.

Last edited:
No matter how folks think he coulda, shoulda done better, we've lived through a great era for SU basketball. One large reason is Jim Boeheim. I'm still hoping for another deep run in the tournament before we move on but I feel fortunate no matter how his career finishes. It's been a great run...

Tried to quote the op, but failed... anyways... Hughes may be the best player on either team. And if not, he'd absolutely start for Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom