JAB appreciation thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JAB appreciation thread

Hughes may be the best player on either team. And if not, he'd absolutely start for Duke.

May be the second best player on either team...that I would agree with.

Currently I'd argue hed be #1 on either team. Its debatable but for this yr (not potential) I would put him #1

Currently I'd argue hed be #1 on either team. Its debatable but for this yr (not potential) I would put him #1
He’s definitely up there but considering big guys like Carey are so rare these days, I’d go with him as the most important player.

I have stated on here that I am ready to move on, and I stand by that, but that said:
I do not think that we have a player that would play at Duke. Heck, they might not even make the roster, yet there we were, going toe to toe with them.
This can be said for most of our time in the ACC, and we have held our own with them, for the most part.
He can take guys that would not be factors on major rosters and build a competitive team out of them.
And, every year it seems he does it in different ways.
Talent is almost always the ultimate decider of on court success, but JB has outkicked his talent almost every year.
His coaching masks deficiencies and accentuates positives in such a way that people think our players are better than they are.
I truly believe that had he been given equal talent, facilities, etc., he may well be the best coach in basketball in his generation, and perhaps second only to Knight, ever.
He is still under appreciated here and across basketball. If he was a bit less crusty, he would be much more acclaimed.
As fans, we are truly blessed to have him. As Syracuseans, he has put us on the map, and has kept us there, for decades. We owe him much.

nice post. There is no doubt at all that JB is truly one of the greatest coaches of all time. His teams never quit, battle it out to the end and year over year over year produce winning records and form the foundation of SU sports. Yes, recruiting has dipped and that’s on the coach since it’s such a large part of the college game. I, nor most, Will absolve him of the recruiting part.
however, If not for a few bounces, injuries or suspensions he would have likely delivered another championship or two to the great fans of the Cuse. When his coaching time is up he will be greatly missed And very, very difficult to replace.
still hope for this year with this very young team.

Cuse!

We rarely had great talent, as evidenced by lack of NBA success.

As stated ad nauseum on the FB board, the house and locker rooms have been sub standard for a long, long time.

The Melo center is nice, but it's fairly commonplace now.

The seminal talents in the JB era are:
Pearl
DC
Rony
Sherm
Warrick
Melo

Borderline
Wes
Dion

My best argument for JB is that he turned Moten into the all time leading scorer in BE history. How many great NBA players, many who played four years, went through that league, yet Moten emerged on top.

Capt., Nice job but I think you should consider adding a name or two but maybe you didn't see them play?

Dave Bing: SU's all time SU leading scorer for a season with 28.4 PPG career AVG. 24.8 and 12 NBA seasons with Detroit, NBA HOF
Lawrence Moten - SU's all time leading points man - 2334 / NBA
John Wallace - NY State POY coming in, 6'8" 225 the dimensions we used to have more of in a forward/ NBA
Mac - Fourth all time leading scorer, hands all over the SU record book and a presence never to be fogotten
Rafael Addison Excellent player - 10th SU career leading scorer/ NBA

PS: The top 10 SU career leading scorers for points scored in a career and I know you are considering more than just scoring just FYI are:
Moten
DC
Wallace
McNamara
Warrick
Sherm
Bing
Addison
:)

Last edited:
I truly believe that had he been given equal talent, facilities, etc., he may well be the best coach in basketball in his generation, and perhaps second only to Knight, ever.
He is still under appreciated here and across basketball. If he was a bit less crusty, he would be much more acclaimed.
As fans, we are truly blessed to have him. As Syracuseans, he has put us on the map, and has kept us there, for decades. We owe him much.
You aren't given talent, you recruit and work for it. I even think its the most important part of the job.
Any discrepancy in talent falls at his feet. I agree we need to appreciate what he has done all the good and bad, and that includes the decline SU Basketball over the last 5 yrs.

As stated ad nauseum on the FB board, the house and locker rooms have been sub standard for a long, long time.

Pearl
DC
Rony
Sherm
Warrick
Melo

Borderline
Wes
Dion

My best argument for JB is that he turned Moten into the all time leading scorer in BE history. How many great NBA players, many who played four years, went through that league, yet Moten emerged on top.

Well of course we haven't had great success in the NBA, we play college basketball. Geez.

Pearl
DC
Rony
Sherm
Warrick
Melo

Borderline
Wes
Dion

I'm still not sure that makes us Northwestern hoops.

We didnt replace Hop with a dynamic recruiter. If we hadn't missed on so many top recruits JB would be crushing it. As great a coach as he is he relied on Hop to bring in the talent and the current assistant coaches have not done well. Ok but not Syracuse level.

Didn't Duke offer JGIII?

if Jack White can get minutes at Duke, there are a number of guys on the SU roster who could play at Duke.
They did but he was like their 6th or 7th target.

I still believe the biggest impediment to recruiting was the unknown of when JB was going to retire.

I still believe the biggest impediment to recruiting was the unknown of when JB was going to retire.
I didnt help. Still Hop was replaced by Gmac. Its like DC being replaced by Sid. To his credit he has landed some solid kids but we are batting zero on the big fish. Need a big like Oxygen.

I didnt help. Still Hop was replaced by Gmac. Its like DC being replaced by Sid. To his credit he has landed some solid kids but we are batting zero on the big fish. Need a big like Oxygen.

The probation still has an effect: you don't want to get hit with anything else, so it puts you at a disadvantage compared to schools who aren't worried about that.

The probation still has an effect: you don't want to get hit with anything else, so it puts you at a disadvantage compared to schools who aren't worried about that.
Im sure but probation is over. I like the 2 kids coming in but we whiffed on the big dogs. Hopefully we pull in the transfer.

I have stated on here that I am ready to move on, and I stand by that, but that said:
I do not think that we have a player that would play at Duke. Heck, they might not even make the roster, yet there we were, going toe to toe with them.
This can be said for most of our time in the ACC, and we have held our own with them, for the most part.
He can take guys that would not be factors on major rosters and build a competitive team out of them.
And, every year it seems he does it in different ways.
Talent is almost always the ultimate decider of on court success, but JB has outkicked his talent almost every year.
His coaching masks deficiencies and accentuates positives in such a way that people think our players are better than they are.
I think K would find a place for Hughes and he was interested in Girard. Your post is dead on. JAB is a true blessing to Syracuse basketball, wrong he is Syracuse basketball. Never would I want him to give up his crustiness but he could be a bit tempered in his criticism of his players. Everyone is going to realize his value to Syracuse when he finally steps down.

A couple of problems here.

I can't agree with the Moten point.

Considering his admittedly modest billing coming in and less than elite athleticism, Lawrence was a completely plug-and-play star as a freshman from the moment he stepped on the court. Incredibly instinctual player from his arrival and that had little to do with JB.

I think his development here was more Moten than Boeheim.

Second, as a high-level D1 college basketball coach, it doesn't work to say "hey I can't recruit very well but I coach up the kids I'm able to get."

It's your job to get better kids. If you can't do that, it takes away from your standing as a coach.

(And to be fair, by the same token, JB gets full credit for pulling in a kid like Moten).

Obviously JB is a Hall of Fame coach and it's really hard to argue that he's been underrated.

Last edited:
If im JW i would extend Jim 10 years. Take him to 2030. It would stop the negative recruiting and Jim could always leave early.

That’s the problem with hiring alumni. They won’t get fired if they’re not effective recruiters. Look how long it took Orr to get replaced.

It's not the assistants job to close. Hop himself wasn't bringing in much his last couple years. We could change assistants and most likely still see the same results.

Eli would definitely play major minutes for Duke.
Actually think both Buddy and JG3 would be terrific on Duke and any other team with a better supporting cast especially a pg. Let either roam around and spot up, they could easily avg 9ppg. This idea that neither is atheletic enough to play D1 is ridiculous. Having to play together is the biggest hindrance for them and they still manage most of the time.

I have said it a thousand times our system REQUIRES quality bigs.

If we have them we will have a good season if not we will struggle.
Exactly. We need a high caliber defensive center with athleticism. Doesn't have to be great on O, but the ability to finish is helpful. We don't need Vernon Carey...

We didnt replace Hop with a dynamic recruiter.

That's the downside of having assistants that are former players. You have an emotional attachment to them because you're so familiar with them, and its harder to be critical of their job performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom