Jabari Parker a "high character" Melo | Syracusefan.com

Jabari Parker a "high character" Melo

SWC75

Bored Historian
An ESPN dude just described Jabari Parker as a "high character" Carmelo Anthony.

I realize that Melo was a bit rough around the edges when he first became famous, ("No snitchin'), but is he a "low character" guy?

The ESPN guy praised Parker's "leadership" so maybe he was talking about on-court leadership. I would think leading your team in scoring is a form of leadership. That's your job if you are your team's best offensive player. But sometimes people look at scoring as "Selfish" while rebounding or hustling after loose balls shows "character".

Another ESPN guys said that he didn't recall Melo as being as "tough" as Parker, citing Parker's rebounding as evidence of his toughness. Parker is averaging 9.0 rebounds per game: Melo in his year here averaged 10.0.

Melo is always a little rough around the edges. He swore on national TV while at Cuse. He has been in brawls on and off the court. He speaks poorly.

He doesnt have a "clean" reputation.

I wouldn't call him low character - but IMO he isn't high character either.

Most all humans are of low character. Take the basketball equation out of this and I highly doubt Mr. Parker is helping nuns across the street. Oh and neither are most of us.

An ESPN dude just described Jabari Parker as a "high character" Carmelo Anthony.

I realize that Melo was a bit rough around the edges when he first became famous, ("No snitchin'), but is he a "low character" guy?

The ESPN guy praised Parker's "leadership" so maybe he was talking about on-court leadership. I would think leading your team in scoring is a form of leadership. That's your job if you are your team's best offensive player. But sometimes people look at scoring as "Selfish" while rebounding or hustling after loose balls shows "character".

Another ESPN guys said that he didn't recall Melo as being as "tough" as Parker, citing Parker's rebounding as evidence of his toughness. Parker is averaging 9.0 rebounds per game: Melo in his year here averaged 10.0.

Some people still criticize Melo for being "one dimensional", even though he's averaging almost 9 rebounds per game.

Melo had a rough few years off the court, when he was younger. He seems to have matured a lot. Most fans and media are lazy and once they "think" something(or they follow someone else who thinks something), they stick with it.

What make Parker "high character"? He doesn't do anything particularly selfless on the court and I haven't heard of any off-court good deeds worthy of note. I don't see Parker going out of his way or doing anything out of the ordinary on the court to be viewed as being of higher character than your average college player.

He's a competitor and a good teammate. The same could be said of Melo in college.

Melo is always a little rough around the edges. He swore on national TV while at Cuse. He has been in brawls on and off the court. He speaks poorly.

He doesnt have a "clean" reputation.

I wouldn't call him low character - but IMO he isn't high character either.

Terrible post. He was immature but turned it around. His speaking is fine. He is a classy player and a good family man.

Yea that was an unncessary low blow. Whenever analysts describe a players character they mostly refer to their on court demeneor. Carmelos is fine. Im sure whoever said it which I was listening to but dont remember who it was knows nothing about either character of the court.

Kids are a product of their upbringing and environments. If you're comparing the maturity of 18-year-old Parker vs. 18-year-old Melo, I think it would probably be accurate to say that Parker at that age is more mature. But Parker also had the benefit of having a strong father figure in his life, while Melo did not. Parker was also raised in a safer and more stable part of Chicago than what Melo had to deal with in Baltimore. Melo undoubtedly was rough around the edges as a teenager and into his early 20s, but I think he has matured very well.

Lets compare the character after it has been tested.
Melo has displayed a loyal and generous character.
Melo has given time and money to charities.

It was Jeff Goodman who said it. That's all you need to know - the dude trolls for a living. Frankly I'm surprised he didn't trip over his chin while speaking for that length of time.

Terrible post. He was immature but turned it around. His speaking is fine. He is a classy player and a good family man.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.

My post certainly wasn't terrible.
He does not speak good - see what I did there?
Classy player? really?
Good family man - and you know that how?

Dont get me wrong... re-read my original post - I didnt call him a low character player - but I don't think anyone would call Melo a saint.

Am I crazy to think that he doesn't have the cleanest reputation?

Last edited:
I definitely think Melo has matured over the last decade or so, which shouldn't be a surprise at all, but I don't think we have any idea what kind of family man he is. Good or bad

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.

My post certainly wasn't terrible.
He does not speak good - see what I did there?
Classy player? really?
Good family man - and you know that how?

Dont get me wrong... re-read my original post - I didnt call him a low character player - but I don't think anyone would call Melo a saint.

Am I crazy to think that he doesn't have the cleanest reputation?

Before this thread goes to the grave, let's be clear. You don't know Carmelo, you don't know the situation he grew up in, you making any judgment on his character is stupid, because you have no idea what kind of person he actually is.

First off Parker is not and will not be as good as Melo.

Second, Melo's "rep" is part of the reason he's one of the most popular players in the league but to imply Melo is low character, which he basically did, is completely false.

BS comment by Goodman. What a tool.

Most all humans are of low character. Take the basketball equation out of this and I highly doubt Mr. Parker is helping nuns across the street. Oh and neither are most of us.
I had high character. I was loved by all. Then you showed up...Murry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom