Jalen Carey - Any Word? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Carey - Any Word?

BYU is a interesting one for him. Cant picture it but man that coach is trying to bring in athletes regardless of the culture/stigma there. Doing a heck of a job.

BYU is a interesting one for him. Cant picture it but man that coach is trying to bring in athletes regardless of the culture/stigma there. Doing a heck of a job.
My advice to Jalen:

My advice to Jalen:

Got some family out there. It's different but beautiful. Lot of stigma around the church stuff but it really is a beautiful campus and they have a good coach. Seems to be trying to bring in players that dont fit the mold and maybe use it as theres less distractions out there for them to focus on their games. I think i read something like that was part of the pitch to Haarms? Anyways, if you can get past some of the rules/etc with the LDS church it really is a nice school. Just dont know if I can see him out west being a NYC boy.

Seems to be trying to bring in players that dont fit the mold and maybe use it as theres less distractions out there for them to focus on their games. I think i read something like that was part of the pitch to Haarms?
Yeah, that was me actually.

Highly suggest watching this since BYU is the topic

I don’t understand why fans are talking down on him. He was 100% Cuse and then the situation didn’t work out for a variety reasons. Another square peg, round hole guard recruit.

I’ll wish him well wherever he goes. Weird how some fans act.

I don’t understand why fans are talking down on him. He was 100% Cuse and then the situation didn’t work out for a variety reasons. Another square peg, round hole guard recruit.

More about my dislike for Georgetown and UConn than anything. Still can’t believe Louie is on the Georgetown bench.

Bizarre and sad, IMO.

I wanted Carey, like I think everyone here did, to work out. I mean, why wouldn't you? However, to characterize his situation as though his style just wasn't a good fit with our team is sort of like putting lipstick on a pig. Maybe he will show his talent elsewhere but he was really mediocre (at best) in the time that he had here. He was given plenty of run but just couldn't execute the fundamentals like putting the ball through the hole and not giving the ball to the other team.

A lot of folks said he's MAC level, yet that list of schools says otherwise. I'm still convinced he could have greatly helped SU the next couple years.

Jalen would do better as the third guard in an uptempo system. A non P5 ideally. His inability to shoot makes him more of a slashing 3 on offense with the ability to guard 3 positions on defense.

I think Jalen would have been an asset here if he'd stayed. I think he was one of those guys who couldn't adapt to the short leash - make a mistake and get sat down. I'm not saying he deserved it, but if he could have been allowed to play enough minutes to get comfortable we would have seen a different player. We saw it on occasion but he wasn't consistent enough and I don't think his psyche was a good fit here.

I wish him well in his new school

I also think he better get moving on a decision before other schools give out all their scholarships!

I think it is easy for posters to get frustrated with his performance -- after all, he was compared to Trae Young, a highly rated guy, he flashed at times, etc.

But one thing I'll say for him -- the kid was very well liked, and an EXEMPLARY teammate. It isn't hard to envision a guy losing his starting lineup to sulk on the bench, to be a disruptive passive aggressive presence, etc. Jalen was the biggest cheerleader for his teammates all season long on the bench.

I'll wish him well wherever he ends up -- kid has earned that in my book, despite not panning out here.

I think it is easy for posters to get frustrated with his performance -- after all, he was compared to Trae Young, a highly rated guy, he flashed at times, etc.

But one thing I'll say for him -- the kid was very well liked, and an EXEMPLARY teammate. It isn't hard to envision a guy losing his starting lineup to sulk on the bench, to be a disruptive passive aggressive presence, etc. Jalen was the biggest cheerleader for his teammates all season long on the bench.

I'll wish him well wherever he ends up -- kid has earned that in my book, despite not panning out here.

Great post. Definitely a great kid. Also no doubt a heck of an athlete.

It's hard to play 3 on 5 on offense...and that's what we dealt with...with him on the court because always our centers are basically there for screens and put backs (another topic for discussion).

He can't shoot which you can't be successful in NBA at all and it's becoming the norm in college now too. Look at Duval a few seasons ago...so talented, 5 star across the board, was the next westbrook...got exposed cuz at this level and higher, you have to have a half way decent jumpshot

He would be extremely successful to be on a team full of shooters (yes including the bigs) where he has the lanes to drive and can kick it if needed. Not a lot of those teams out there but if I was him, that's where I would be looking for

You can’t play shooting guard if you can’t shoot in 2020.

Agreed. The only potential exception I could see is if the 1 and the 3 were absolute knockdown shooters, and one of the bigs was a shooter.

But even then, said 2 guard would have to be good at driving and scoring, handling the ball, etc. Otherwise, why would he be out there?

If anyone tells me that to date Carey is good at anything on offense, I’ll have to call BS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom