Jalen Carey on recuperation from surgery, day-to-day work, future | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Carey on recuperation from surgery, day-to-day work, future

He gone. If he was gonna stay, he would have come out and said so directly IMO.

In time we’ll be very happy Carey stayed.

I’m confident he will.

Gotta say, and I mean this as a total compliment because this guy has reached a very high level of basketball, despite mixed results, to date, but he impresses me most when he talks: comes across as an insightful, mature, and level headed young man. I predict real accomplishments for him off the court, whatever may come on the court.

Last edited:
Not a ringing endorsement on coming back, oh well. I still think he can be very valuable in the future

In time we’ll be very happy Carey stayed.

I’m confident he will.
I would bet the other side on that one. It is to his benefit to stay right now. He sees Joe G starting at the pt.

I would bet the other side on that one. It is to his benefit to stay right now. He sees Joe G starting at the pt.
He has the defensive presence, athleticism and natural scoring ability (high upside at least) to potentially be the sixth man we’ve been missing for years.

If he can mature as a basketball player and find a rhythm, he’ll still have a path (up to him how he takes adv of it) to the pros through Syracuse.

I realize this reads as far fetched, but from his perspective he’ll go or stay where he has the best stage to showcase himself. That ship has not sailed at SU, the opportunity is likely still there at the 6th man spot.

First and foremost he seems at peace right now which for such a hard-working and all around good kid is wonderful to see.

On a basketball level I like he is recognizing seeing things from a coaches view. I mentioned this in another thread in how that can present value.

As for the future it is hard to say. He will have Joe, Buddy, Brycen and Kadary joining him in the backcourt logjam. Right now he and Brycen are similar in their on court performance and weaknesses. It will be a battle for him to earn a spot but if he can figure things out on offense, his defense is better than any other guard. I do think it b comes an either or of he or Brycen. Brycen has the upper hand in terms of scoring ability right now.

I also think that while yes Joe is the starter, Joe's trajectory will be impacted by his ability to improve on defense and learn how to be more north south with the ball in his hands. Buddy has really grown in this department and Joe shows flashes. If Joe keeps developing and comes back and is able to penetrate more frequently and be a bigger threat as a lead guard - he isn't getting bumped out of that spot until he graduates.

Gotta say, and I mean this as a total compliment because this guy has reached a very high level of basketball, despite mixed results, to date, but he impresses me most when he talks: comes across as an insightful, mature, and level headed young man. I predict real accomplishments for him of the court, whatever may come on the court.
Well said.

Sounds like a great opportunity for him to work even more on that off hand. Never a bad thing.

Good kid, but it isn’t going to happen for him here. He didn’t look good this summer or in the preseason at point and he’s not going to play the 2 with Buddy playing well beyond anyone’s expectations. The 3rd guard spot eventually will be Goodine with competition from Kadary.

I always trust actions and body language and he didn’t look too happy on the bench. Unless he improves a ton he’s not going to play much.

First and foremost he seems at peace right now which for such a hard-working and all around good kid is wonderful to see.

On a basketball level I like he is recognizing seeing things from a coaches view. I mentioned this in another thread in how that can present value.

As for the future it is hard to say. He will have Joe, Buddy, Brycen and Kadary joining him in the backcourt logjam. Right now he and Brycen are similar in their on court performance and weaknesses. It will be a battle for him to earn a spot but if he can figure things out on offense, his defense is better than any other guard. I do think it b comes an either or of he or Brycen. Brycen has the upper hand in terms of scoring ability right now.

I also think that while yes Joe is the starter, Joe's trajectory will be impacted by his ability to improve on defense and learn how to be more north south with the ball in his hands. Buddy has really grown in this department and Joe shows flashes. If Joe keeps developing and comes back and is able to penetrate more frequently and be a bigger threat as a lead guard - he isn't getting bumped out of that spot until he graduates.
you forgot Howard

he's been in a great mood on the bench and has been very demonstrative in cheering on the team.
And at times he’s not thrilled or showing emotion. Will the real Jalen Carey please stand up.

That's really weird. Sometimes I'm in a great mood when watching our games and sometimes I'm not thrilled. Funny how that happens.
Not because you lost your starting pg position, oh yeahhhhhh baby!!!!

It will be interesting to see how things shake out when there could potentially be 6 healthy guards next year.

I thought BG would have emerged as the 3rd guard but it appears to be HW to relieve JGIII.

Somebody is going to be the odd man out between JC, BG and HW next year. Not sure where Kadary will fit in either, should make for some good competition.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out when there could potentially be 6 healthy guards next year.

I thought BG would have emerged as the 3rd guard but it appears to be HW to relieve JGIII.

Somebody is going to be the odd man out between JC, BG and HW next year. Not sure where Kadary will fit in either, should make for some good competition.
The question remains

Where's the beef?

Does anyone think Buddy will play fewer minutes next year? Goodine should also find minutes next year. How will all the minutes be divided when you add a Girard and Carey. I hope Carey stays because I still think he has a big upside, but it’s going to be a huge logjam in the backcourt.

I am hoping he stays. He is by far the best defensive guard we have. He has shown that he can carry the team offensively at times. He seems like a smart individual and good person and once healthy will be able to shine. Remember Frank Howard played injured one year and everyone wanted his head. The next he came in health and was the team leader we hoped for. Jalen can be the same if not much better with his skill set.

Either was if he stays or goes I will be rooting for his success. The way he has carried himself through these past to seasons of tribulations. From the short leash/dog house to the trying to Play through and eventually redshirting due to injuries this year. He, along with HoWash, are still cheering and supporting the team

I am hoping he stays. He is by far the best defensive guard we have. He has shown that he can carry the team offensively at times. He seems like a smart individual and good person and once healthy will be able to shine. Remember Frank Howard played injured one year and everyone wanted his head. The next he came in health and was the team leader we hoped for. Jalen can be the same if not much better with his skill set.

Either was if he stays or goes I will be rooting for his success. The way he has carried himself through these past to seasons of tribulations. From the short leash/dog house to the trying to Play through and eventually redshirting due to injuries this year. He, along with HoWash, are still cheering and supporting the team

He has shown he can carry the offense????? He's scored 3 PPG with 1 apg on 36% shooting and 1.6 TO in limited time on the court. He's not been good. He wasn't good in Italy either. Just because people run fast and jump high does not make them good at basketball. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but he looks worse than Kaleb Joseph from a basketball perspective. I don't see any skill anywhere.

JoeG has been very good this year. I can't wait until he starts putting up 30 and we will put an end to this nonsense about who should be the point guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom