Jalen Carey...what gives?! | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Carey...what gives?!

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
Apologies if this has been discussed already- haven’t kept up as much as i should have.
But i remember Carey playing like a typical frosh- good one play, What?!?) the next, but with tons of upside.
He’s shown he has talent. Is he hurt? Any reason as to why JB shut him down? Serious question.

Last edited:
He’s riding his experienced guards. Carey has not taken care of the ball. Frank was pulled 2 games ago for poor play. Right now Tyus is our best playmaker, even though he’s not a PG. Frank seemed to wake up against Pitt. I think Carey is only going to see spot minutes the rest of the way given our remaining slate of games.

Just a question of what JC could give against Pitt. Not as much as the lineups that were used.

Good points all around.
Just really hoped he’d play his way into spot duty like his role was at the start of the year.
One of my biggest pet peeves w/ JB has always been his use, or non-use of depth/rotation. But it sounds like Carey just wasn’t ready. Oh well.

He’s not good enough right now... although if I was in charge I may have tried to have found JC a few mins with our 15ish point 1st half lead...

I’ll defer to Jimmy though

i'm a huge fan of jalen carey and i think he is very talented. but he has been terrible lately. i guess the argument is if he has been terrible because he hasn't played more, but i wouldn't want to be the one on that side.

I think the Battle/Buddy combo has far outpaced any JC combo.

JB is tightening the rotation now and the Buddy/Battle combo won. It is an improving combo, both Battle's point guard skills and Buddy are improving each game.
Of course it's kind of discouraging to not see JC anymore, but this years potential is maximized by developing the Buddy/Battle improvement.

Against two press/grabbing defenses in V tech and PITT and BC has some upperclassman guards...all while being on the road. Also, throw in his handle isn’t very good. There is no shot JB would put him in. He hasn’t really shown he can run an offense yet. We don’t really need scoring. Tyus, OB and Hughes can all score. They really need a solid PG who can find somebody and not turn the ball over.

Sorta surprised that’s he’s buried but Buddy is 17-33 from deep in ACC play and Tyus has played really well backing up Frank at point.

If either of those two situation change, he can get back in the rotation,...otherwise it’s Frank, Tyus, Buddy as the three guards in the rotation.

Carey has been turnover prone. He has 24 assists to 34 turnovers. Likely needs to show he can do a lot better than that in practice before he earns trust to play in conference games.

I’d be shocked if that happened. He’s the starter from Day 1 next season. Goodine is good but Jalen has a year of experience learning the system and practicing with the team. That means Jalen will play the majority of minutes at PG. I think he’ll be a star n XX year. It would make no sense for him to transfer. He’s already proven he can score. He’s just stuck behind an experienced backcourt of Battle and Frank, and Buddy has been shooting lights out lately, and we need that instant offense off the bench.

Jalen’s just stuck behind an experienced backcourt of Battle and Frank, and Buddy has been shooting lights out lately, and we need that instant offense off the bench.

Two things are working right now - (1) Battle is developing PG skills, at least good enough for a second unit, and handed out a bunch of assists these past few games when his shot isn't falling; and (2) Buddy stretches a defense in a way that Carey can't right now, and that opens up the driving lanes for Tyus and Oshae.

Having Buddy and Eli both as legit 3 point threats means that we have somebody to keep the driving lanes open, even if one of them has an off night shooting from three.

I would like to see Carey get some minutes before the season is over, but another driver - especially with a bit of a shaky handle - doesn't add anything to the talent mix on the floor right now.

He’s not good enough right now... although if I was in charge I may have tried to have found JC a few mins with our 15ish point 1st half lead...

I’ll defer to Jimmy though

Last statement is so true for me as well. JB has always played the odds. He knows the future schedule more than anyone so he knows the past two road games and these upcoming two home games are needed to provide a safe cushion for the remaining part of the schedule. However, if we get a 15 point lead in the next two with 8 minutes or less in the game he might throw Jalen in to see how he handles it. Also in one of the tougher games after the next two if we find ourselves down by 15 I could see the same thing as well.

Cheers,
Neil

Last statement is so true for me as well. JB has always played the odds. He knows the future schedule more than anyone so he knows the past two road games and these upcoming two home games are needed to provide a safe cushion for the remaining part of the schedule. However, if we get a 15 point lead in the next two with 8 minutes or less in the game he might throw Jalen in to see how he handles it. Also in one of the tougher games after the next two if we find ourselves down by 15 I could see the same thing as well.

Cheers,
Neil

If Jalen gets some run, it will come early, not late, until he has a couple games without any turnovers off the bench.

If Jalen gets some run, it will come early, not late, until he has a couple games without any turnovers off the bench.
I'm with you. The odds of seeing JC get less with each game. I think JC's best chance is as foul trouble filler in the first half.

No way in the second half of a game with a 15 point lead is JB even thinking of putting in the erratic speedster over the steady coaches son. The value of wins from here on out has magnified, only about 10 left.

When you are a guard you've either got hit the J or put defenders in your rear view mirror. He's done neither. Maybe someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom