Jalen | Syracusefan.com

Jalen

I'd probably start him. Start your best defensive lineup. I'd assume Buddy plays more minutes. Tyus should see close to 40. Won't be shocked if there are times neither Jalen or Buddy is on the court and Eli is at 2.

Tyus and Oshae have been there before. Hopefully the frosh are ready and marek/chukwu play smart.

haven't seen them play, but looking at their numbers, baylor doesn't really turn people over a lot & doesn't have a high steal percentage, so in some ways this might be a good game for jalen to play. on the other hand, they are a zone team & that makes me think we'll miss frank's shooting.

eli better have a hot game.

Jalen won’t start and Eli won’t play the 2. Guaranteed.

Yea Buddy started the last 2 and played well. I think it would be a good way to get 10-15 really good minutes from Jalen though.

Really hope we don't have to read a bunch of Carey bashing tomorrow.

JB will do it in the press conference like he did to Roberson

Carey needs to be better at rotating in the zone...gave up so many wide open buckets to pitt and duke...understandable given his lack of experience...but a real issue with him getting minutes imo...let alone the turnovers...how he plays in the zone is more important

At the practice. Jalen just led the team into the court for practice.
Suzy weighs in:
"Oh my goodness gracious! Of all the dramatic things, of all the dramatic things I've ever seen, Jalen Carey leading the Orange out for practice, announcing he is in Jim Boeheim's 7.5-man rotation. Jalen Carey is a Syracuse Orangeman. And there we go, Matt Park… Now we don't need to discuss who takes Frank's spot in the rotation."

Last edited:
Yea Buddy started the last 2 and played well. I think it would be a good way to get 10-15 really good minutes from Jalen though.

Yeah, I would expect to see Buddy start and we will need is 3 to fall. That said, I think we would probably have a better chance to get Jalen going if he started. Buddy is playing with confidence and will likely play well whether he starts or not. Jalen seems to be in a more fragile place, but that's only my amateur speculation.

Carey needs to be better at rotating in the zone...gave up so many wide open buckets to pitt and duke.
THat's completely overblown. It's very easy to lock on to one player and say they are underperforming. Battle, Howard, and Buddy all have their share of missed rotations. The biggest issue is they are ALL instructed to take their eyes of the shooters once the ball enters the post. Whether or not they can closeout on the kickout depends on how much distance they have to cover and how quickly they react. But the fact is, it's a flawed strategy where you have to track down where your man is with only a second or two to recover.

I could see Jalen doing fine in this tournament. When he came in the game in ACC Tournament, he was shaky at first, but you could clearly see him settle into being a bit more comfortable - and effective - as he stayed out there. In a normal world he would have been pulled from the game before he could get his feet under him like that. Remember, he has real talent and explosive athleticism, he ripped UConn apart in his first month of college ball (yes a lowly mid major, but still).

Suzy weighs in:
"Oh my goodness gracious! Of all the dramatic things, of all the dramatic things I've ever seen, Jalen Carey leading the Orange out for practice, announcing he is in Jim Boeheim's 7.5-man roation. Jalen Carey is a Syracuse Orangeman. And there we go, Matt Park… Now we don't need to discuss who takes Frank's spot in the rotation."

All sarcasm aside; At least he is eligible to play. Don’t get me started on Frank Howard’s contribution to this team. Dubious at best...

But the fact is, it's a flawed strategy where you have to track down where your man is with only a second or two to recover.
a flawed strategy that has put syracuse in the top 25 defenses nationally 9 of the last 10 years.

it's only flawed when you have guys who don't fully buy into the system (cough gillon/white cough)

THat's completely overblown. It's very easy to lock on to one player and say they are underperforming. Battle, Howard, and Buddy all have their share of missed rotations. The biggest issue is they are ALL instructed to take their eyes of the shooters once the ball enters the post. Whether or not they can closeout on the kickout depends on how much distance they have to cover and how quickly they react. But the fact is, it's a flawed strategy where you have to track down where your man is with only a second or two to recover.
sorry ball-watching is not a fundamental part of the zone. closing out on 3 point shooters is.

Carey's problem is that he doesn't have enough reps and hastn built up automaticity...so he's a second slower than he needs to be...despite wanting to.

in my opinion ...SU will go as far as their 3 point defense takes them...that's the #1 issue as far as wins.
A close #2 is how they shoot.

Carey has the potential to beat a great defender. His quickness, athleticism, and length could make him a special player on defense. He just needs playing time.

Carey needs to be better at rotating in the zone...gave up so many wide open buckets to pitt and duke...

JBs kid is just as poor defensively. He knows where to go (probably since he was 8 years old) but slow speed getting there. Carey doesn't always know where to be but gets there in a flash when he does, quick hands too. Both give up more shots than they make. Advantage Buddy. They both might surprise. Several underclassmen did in '03.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom