Class of 2024 - January Official Visits List | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 January Official Visits List

The seniors leaving and HS kids coming in this class are already in the count. You can only take the number in a recruiting class that doesn't take your scholarship numbers over 85.
So what you're saying is, unless three or four kids hit the portal by Tuesday, next weekend could be quiet

So, question:

Does the team have to remain at/under 85 scholarships for every moment of every day?

Or are there deadlines for hitting 85, kinda like w NFL and having cut dates?

And - for borderline current roster guys who haven’t (yet) entered the portal, Fran can give them “the talk,
whereby they keep their scholarship and can finish out their degree, but are no longer part of the football program, right?

Those players could then choose to enter the Spring portal, if they wanted a chance to keep playing.

But they would no longer be tying up one of the 85 scholarship slots.
You can only sign a class size that keeps the total number of scholarship players at 85. If some more kids portal in the Spring that opens up more scholarships for the class. There is a shutoff date in June I believe.

And how many of those kids who get the talk do you think will decide to lose their spot on the roster but stay on academically? I think most of these kids are competitors that all have a hope of making it to the next level.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if Villari moved to a FB or H-back ...He is too good not to be in the offense mix...He runs the ball as well as any RB behind Allen on the depth chart , is pretty fast for his size ,good blocker, good hands and lots of power for short yardage...He could be an extra blocker for McCord on pass plays or a receiver out of the backfield...similar to Chris Elmore but much more versatle... we are loaded at TE assuming Gadsen returns healthy
I feel villari is more a traditional te. Blocks and can go out and catch passes. OG is more of a wr labeled as a te.

You can only sign a class size that keeps the total number of scholarship players at 85. If some more kids portal in the Spring that opens up more scholarships for the class. There is a shutoff date in June I believe.

And how many of those kids who get the talk do you think will decide to lose their spot on the roster but stay on academically? I think most of these kids are competitors that all have a hope of making it to the next level.

Let’s say there are 8 more guys Fran wants to sign.

There’s nothing stopping him from having “the talk” with 8 current guys.
And he may have already done this, and it’s not public, yet.

Boom. Eight slots are now open.

Those 8 guys have until 1/2/24 to enter the portal.
(Some may have already, and it’s not public, yet)

And/or, they may choose to stay at Syracuse for the spring semester, then enter the Spring portal.
Or not.
Some might choose to stay and get their degree.

A kid like that JUCO RB who was out of college for a while, then went back to JUCO, then was a late add at Cuse, and never saw the field -
Maybe he’d be psyched to finish out with a Syracuse degree, without the pressure of having to play football?

That’s a win-win.

Anyway - I seriously doubt that Fran & ERob are offering guys, setting up OV’s, etc.
… if we don’t have slots for them.

The numbers always work themselves out.
Always.

And/or, they may choose to stay at Syracuse for the spring semester, then enter the Spring portal.
Or not.

A kid like that JUCO RB who was out of college for a while, then went back to JUCO, then was a late add at Cuse, and never saw the field -
Maybe he’d be psyched to finish out with a Syracuse degree, without the pressure of having to play football?

That’s a win-win.

Anyway - I seriously doubt that Fran & ERob are offering guys, setting up OV’s, etc.

Always.

Guys who walked on Senior Day who are taking their degrees are under no obligation to make a public announcement.

We won't have a complete list of who's still here until Spring Ball starts.

Or not.

That’s a win-win.

Always.
That's a lot of mays and ifs in there. ;)
I said that there has to be more movement.
And you always offer in recruiting because you are never, ever going to get everyone you offer.

Last edited:
Guys who walked on Senior Day who are taking their degrees are under no obligation to make a public announcement.

We won't have a complete list of who's still here until Spring Ball starts.
Is there a senior day list somewhere

January 5th

OL Naquil Betrand (Texas A&M)
Known Portal Offers - Syracuse, Alabama, USF
Visits - Alabama 1/12

CB Tyreek Chappell (Texas A&M)
Known Portal Offers - Syracuse, Oregon, Georgia
Visits - Oregon 12/16, Georgia January?

DL Dion Wilson (NM St.)
Known Portal Offers - Syracuse, Cal, Indiana, Rutgers, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
Visits - Rutgers 1/3, Texas A&M 1/6 or 1/7

January 12th

CB Kevyn Humes (HS - MD)
Known offers - a ton
Visits - PSU 1/19, ND 1/26, Florida 2/2

Possibles

CB AJ Harris (Georgia)
DL Isaiah Raikes (Texas A&M)
DL Michael Nwokocha (JUCO)
CB Duce Chestnut (LSU)
DB Daniel Harris (Georgia)
DL Dominick McKinley (HS - LA)
OT Jalen Travis (Princeton)
OL Kurt Danneker (Ohio)
LB/DE Aakil Washington (Liberty)
I am curious on the 2/2 visits. That would seem to indicate no January enrollment.

I am curious on the 2/2 visits. That would seem to indicate no January enrollment.
Do you mean 1/12 ?
If you go to the recrits and offers threaf it shows a plethora of early enrollees.

The only way that a prospect can be visiting on the 5th is if they are a Portal or JUCO who is planning on enrolling midyear.
Plus that would require a lot more SU players to enter the portal by 1/2 or lose their roster spot but retain their academic scholarship.

I think a couple of players have been asked to find a new home that we haven’t heard of yet. We may not know if a player has left the program and decided to continue his education at Syracuse until a new roster is generated. I understand he has had the talk with a couple of players who want to stay thru spring so they can get more film/tape before they leave.

But, Fran isn’t going to allow a player he wants to not get in before the spring semester because a player he doesn’t see in the program’s future is still here.

I think a couple of players have been asked to find a new home that we haven’t heard of yet. We may not know if a player has left the program and decided to continue his education at Syracuse until a new roster is generated. I understand he has had the talk with a couple of players who want to stay thru spring so they can get more film/tape before they leave.

But, Fran isn’t going to allow a player he wants to not get in before the spring semester because a player he doesn’t see in the program’s future is still here.
Yeah I mean also if there are guys that are not going to continue playing football and pursue their degree at Syracuse we won’t know about them until the Spring either. Who knows how many fall into that category….

Do you mean 1/12 ?
If you go to the recrits and offers threaf it shows a plethora of early enrollees.
No. From the OP
January 12th

CB Kevyn Humes (HS - MD)
Known offers - a ton
Visits - PSU 1/19, ND 1/26, Florida 2/2

Here in a column on this thread first post.

Thread 'Potential 2024 Roster / Staff [Updated 12/297/23]'
Potential 2024 Roster / Staff [Updated 12/297/23]
So Petry, Darton, Alford for the scholarship players.

All contributors in the past few seasons. Wouldn't mind if they stuck around, but if they leave or move on just thanks them for their commitment and efforts over the years

So Petry, Darton, Alford for the scholarship players.

All contributors in the past few seasons. Wouldn't mind if they stuck around, but if they leave or move on just thanks them for their commitment and efforts over the years
Agreed.

I'm also sure the university can drop a player from an athletic scholarship to another form of 'academic' scholarship or free school for a few semesters for a few players depending on the situational dynamic.

I think there will be at least 7 to 10 players on campus the weekend of the 5th. Just may not hear a lot of names until after the visit.
Also think there will be a big push in the second portal period. I could see a lot of movement after spring ball.
agreed there is plenty of time to add quality pieces, just need to be patient with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom