Jay Bilas | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas

I like Bilas, but I thought he was bordering on rude during that segment.

I like Bilas a lot too but he's really started to seem like kind of a jerk this year. I enjoy him because he actually thinks about things and doesn't spout nonsense. But he's got the condescension turned up to 11 recently.

I dont agree with him. Obviously there is not going to be as much parity as the NFL. The NFL is a professional league, that has rules to keep it a level playing field(I.e salary cap and draft order).

It's not the first time they have had this same argument about parity.

At this point I think Bilas is just frustrated with Digger's stupidity, or more politically correct, failing to grasp the concepts previously detailed in earlier discussions. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

I like Bilas a lot too but he's really started to seem like kind of a jerk this year. I enjoy him because he actually thinks about things and doesn't spout nonsense. But he's got the condescension turned up to 11 recently.

I'm beginning to feel the same way. His pay-for-play argument is getting old and tiresome.

Yes, there are issues with the system. But if they REALLY start paying these kids, do you really think they're going to be wise about spending it?

95% of these kids are going to go out and buy XBox360 and every game out there, every shoe out there, designer clothes, etc. Stuff that they absolutely don't need.

It's also going to put smaller schools in a big-time predicament. But what does he care? He doesn't see - or doesn't want to see - the impact that the changes would have at a school like Colgate or Canisius or Binghamton.

I'm beginning to feel the same way. His pay-for-play argument is getting old and tiresome.

Yes, there are issues with the system. But if they REALLY start paying these kids, do you really think they're going to be wise about spending it?

95% of these kids are going to go out and buy XBox360 and every game out there, every shoe out there, designer clothes, etc. Stuff that they absolutely don't need.

It's also going to put smaller schools in a big-time predicament. But what does he care? He doesn't see - or doesn't want to see - the impact that the changes would have at a school like Colgate or Canisius or Binghamton.

who cares what they spend it on? it's their money

Nanny state lover

I think, as Jalen pointed out, the student athletes should get a fixed stipend. However, the only condition I would put on that stipend is that the first semester they go without it and getting it every semester thereafter is contingent upon them meeting academic standards from the previous semester.

Cheers,
Neil

I think, as Jalen pointed out, the student athletes should get a fixed stipend. However, the only condition I would put on that stipend is that the first semester they go without it and getting it every semester thereafter is contingent upon them meeting academic standards from the previous semester.

Cheers,
Neil
Please no. Would only further encourage taking easy classes/majors, like "general studies" or "sports broadcasting" or "Communications" or "African American studies", etc.

He made a strong point that if a kid borrows a car there's an NCAA investigation. If he steals a car the NCAA does nothing. The athletes deserve a real voice and voting interest in the room where rules are made.

who cares what they spend it on? it's their money

People come out with arguments like Jalen Rose did during the segment, that his mother's power was being shut off - or the equivalent for another player - was a reason these kids deserved to be paid.

They are being paid an education that is going to help them in the long run. They have ZERO student loans, zero worry about meal plans, declining dollars, they eat well on road trips, they get tons of gear.

You can make the argument that all the students that are not athletes in school can have jobs - that's an old argument. These kids CAN have jobs now. They can make money. There are rules, but they can have an income that can help.

People come out with arguments like Jalen Rose did during the segment, that his mother's power was being shut off - or the equivalent for another player - was a reason these kids deserved to be paid.

They are being paid an education that is going to help them in the long run. They have ZERO student loans, zero worry about meal plans, declining dollars, they eat well on road trips, they get tons of gear.

You can make the argument that all the students that are not athletes in school can have jobs - that's an old argument. These kids CAN have jobs now. They can make money. There are rules, but they can have an income that can help.

the schools are making millions of dollars off them, they deserve some of that money

the schools are making millions of dollars off them, they deserve some of that money

So you're going to give Tyler Ennis a $100,000 cut, right? How about the women's soccer player that is an All-American? How about the track & field kid Jarett Eaton who won the NCAA title? What about the lax guys? Etc., etc. Where does it end?

Also, if you start doing this - can the school have the right to cut off the funding if a player doesn't score 15 ppg, or live up to their billing?

If the kids think they are deserving and want money, he/she better be ready to get "cut" if he doesn't (Fab Melo, Dion Waiters as freshmen, Terrence Roberts, the list goes on).

scholarships can be revoked as is

if you play a non revenue generating sport tough luck, that's capitalism for you

Wichita State lost money last year, despite making the FF. Should their players have to chip in to make up for the loss?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom