Jay Bilas | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas

I thought jobs were illegal? The logic being that Billy Fucillo could hire CJ Fair and pay him 50K to no show.

They lifted that about a decade ago. That was the logic, but it was unfair to prevent kids from working.

Arinze Onuaku worked at the UPS Store off East Colvin; some guys do it, but it's not easy. The demands placed on athletes are, in many ways, excessive. They could stand to have someone looking out for their interests. I can't think of any way, though, that this is solved by cutting them a check.

The is no correct way to pay athletes in this country. Blame the dumb laws.

"Schools make millions of dollars". This was debunked numerous times. There are only 20-25 athletics departments in THE COUNTRY that are in the black every year. Bball and football finance all the other sports. Every other school besides the top 20 loses money. So what are they gonna do?

Also Title IX. If you pay men's teams that make money you are REQUIRED by law to then pay the same to women's players who don't make the school anything. How is that fair? Other sports will also file lawsuits and your scrub golf team will be paid the same as your star basketball players. Good job.

The whole thing will never happen in a fair way.

They lifted that about a decade ago. That was the logic, but it was unfair to prevent kids from working.

They lifted that, but still on the books is that they can't get a job or make money on anything using their name.

Can't be in a band, can't be in a commercial, can't make an appearance at the mall, can't own a store with your name on it, etc.

Bilas is the man. I don't agree on all topics, but his thoughts are generally well thought out. He connects with the younger generation. To be honest, if I had to consistently argue with unintelligent people, my holy-than-thou attitude would be at an 11 on a scale of 10 too.

So you're going to give Tyler Ennis a $100,000 cut, right? How about the women's soccer player that is an All-American? How about the track & field kid Jarett Eaton who won the NCAA title? What about the lax guys? Etc., etc. Where does it end?

Also, if you start doing this - can the school have the right to cut off the funding if a player doesn't score 15 ppg, or live up to their billing?

If the kids think they are deserving and want money, he/she better be ready to get "cut" if he doesn't (Fab Melo, Dion Waiters as freshmen, Terrence Roberts, the list goes on).
I kind of agree, the easiest way is to say no.

Ok - then give me a better one, other than "they don't get enough and deserve more."

You know branding helps them too, right? Marketing? Being on ESPN? Do you know how much exposure is worth? It's worth a lot more than what other kids are making as students that can work jobs.

Go play in Spain and tell me you'll get the exposure you would if you played at Duke or Syracuse.

Saying someone doesn't deserve to be paid because they would just blow their money on stupid stuff is the height of arrogance.

Notice how nobody brought up the point that you can't just pay the football and basketball players. ALL scholarship athletes in non-revenue sports will be legally entitled to the same compensation. So the next step would be that schools will eliminate all the non-revenue sports. The step after that is all the big state schools with insane boosters (UK, AL, OSU etc) will buy up all the talent. I think it was Bilas who said the NCAA should stop hassling athletes because someone "loaned" them a car. Well if the NCAA stops enforcing that it wouldn't be long before wealthy boosters at big schools would be giving every good recruit cars, boats, jewelry you name it to buy up talent... it would be like the wild west and only the schools with the richest, fanatical boosters would be big time.

This is not true! Compensation is based revenue! So a scholarship IS fair compensation for non-revenues sports.

If you are a researcher at a university, private company, etc. you may not own your intellectual property - the sponsoring research organization typically does - even though you did the all the work and came up with the idea.

In the meantime, you are getting paid for providing your expertise. You are free to go and work for another entity, but may not be able to benefit from past work (i.e. a patent) directly if you did not pay for its development.

College athletes are really not any different than anyone else. They are getting compensated for their work (maybe not fairly, but who is?) but do not have ownership of things that were paid for by them (the university owns the team, the stadium, etc.). They are not paying for the equipment, the coaches, the trainers, everything else.

If you want to fret about labor issues, worry about the minimum-wage workers not the celebrities getting a $250,000 education for free.

Ok - then give me a better one, other than "they don't get enough and deserve more."

You know branding helps them too, right? Marketing? Being on ESPN? Do you know how much exposure is worth? It's worth a lot more than what other kids are making as students that can work jobs.

Go play in Spain and tell me you'll get the exposure you would if you played at Duke or Syracuse.

Then PAY what it is worth!! BECAUSE universities are making a fortune MARKETING their FREE labor!!!!

then no sports players should be paid because they don't own the coaches, trainers, stadiums

Then PAY what it is worth!! BECAUSE universities are making a fortune MARKETING their FREE labor!!!!

Source? Every study I've read says 90+% of schools lose millions on athletics.

Researchers are not the product being sold, athletes are the products beings sold!

Source? Every study I've read says 90+% of schools lose millions on athletics.

They include non-revenue sports, Construction cost even when its paid for by donors, salaries on maintenance staff, etc. The don't include apparel except for jersey's and specific sports related items...long story short they cook the books!

I think the simple solution is the allow players to go right in the NBA out of high school, or even before. Start academies like the big European soccer clubs (and basketball clubs for that matter).

For the other players who choose college for the education, but get ripped off on their likeness/brand, include a percentage of jersey/photo/likeness sales for the player and keep it in trust until they graduate.

Players should not have financial limitations placed upon them. That is the heart of the issue. It doesn't happen to any other college student except the athletes. That should be a hint that something isn't right. The real question is, why are some people so mean spirited towards the idea of athletes making some legal tender for their work?

Paying players wouldn't change men's basketball and football as much as they think. The under recruited Chandler and Art Jones of the world still need a place to play. The big schools already get the best kids and there are roster limits preventing the schools from taking more than they need. In basketball, the top schools already get their pick of the litter first, then the second tier get theirs, and so on and so forth...If anything, paying players might allow a school with deep pockets like SMU to pick some top football players from the Texas' of the world.

The thing that really cracks me up is the belief that a real minor league system will solve the problem. Alabama will still have 100,000 people paying money to go to their games generating the same obscene amounts of money that they do now. Colleges will still be generating massive amounts of revenue off of men's football and basketball. The belief that most colleges lose money is laughable. Clemson can afford to give Dabo $27 mil guaranteed? Some people are extremely susceptible to propaganda. How long has it taken people to figure out that a playoff is needed for football? The more fan bases that have a chance to win the natty, the better the sport will be. For the BCS, the line of propaganda was "but it will hurt the regular season", "the regular season is the playoff"...:bang:

They are already doing that and not making the grade. ;)

I'm willing to bet that maybe the schools tighten up those type of things if it saves the $$$.

But I should have made it clearer that the school sets the academic standard, barest minimum being NCAA, but it could be higher to get stipend.

Cheers,
Neil
Full cost of tuition stipends should go to all student athletes. Scholarship and non-scholarship alike. If you make a roster you get the stipend. The stipend is only on the order of $2,000 per year, not the $3,500 per semester that was mentioned on Game Day.

I don't agree with Bilas but I also don't agree with he bs that kid for Florida had to go through. There has to be a happy medium.
About as a stupid as when Billy E got suspended all those games for playing in a rec league.

Let the high school grads go straight to the pros. Problem solved. Paying student athletes will ruin college sports.
Don't agree...that's what's ruining the NBA along with the one and done. Kids needs to stay a minimum of 2 years. 17 and 18 year old kids are not ready for that jump. I know there a few out there, but how many tried and didn't succeed love to hear all of those stories.

Don't agree...that's what's ruining the NBA along with the one and done. Kids needs to stay a minimum of 2 years. 17 and 18 year old kids are not ready for that jump. I know there a few out there, but how many tried and didn't succeed love to hear all of those stories.
Isn't that what the D-League is for?

It should be a clear distinction, like in baseball & hockey. Go NBA/D-League or go to school (2-year minimum).

Last edited:
Isn't that what the D-League is for?
I would rather see kids stay in college 2 years. Makes the college game better and also improves the NBA, well let's hope :).

I would rather see kids stay in college 2 years. Makes the college game better and also improves the NBA, well let's hope :).
People complain that kids shouldn't be forced to go to school, or that the kids may not be college material. The D-League removes that problem.

I for one would love a minor league basketball system like they have for mlb. The only thing that sucks is it would ruin college basketball.

Full cost of tuition stipends should go to all student athletes. Scholarship and non-scholarship alike. If you make a roster you get the stipend. The stipend is only on the order of $2,000 per year, not the $3,500 per semester that was mentioned on Game Day.

Moontan, you KNOW you cannot go around speaking common sense. This is just wrong! It would actually work so we; therefore, CANNOT implement such nonsense! STOP NOW!

Seriously, the stipend should be sufficient. Also, the athletes can work outside of the season, though their offseason workouts would be a tougher, that is no different that the average student attending college, delivering pizzas for cash and still playing intramural sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom