Jay Bilas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas

It sickens me that people can be against these players receiving monetary payment for the service they provide to the university and the millions of fans.

Let the high school grads go straight to the pros. Problem solved. Paying student athletes will ruin college sports.
if the NBA would set a decent min wage for the rookie so that they dont make millions and fail the problem would go away.. give them all 250-500K who make a team, let them all try if they want. the NBA teams would no go bankrupt paying kids and kids who jump would have to think twice about it.

where else but pro sports do we pay the least qualified people the most.

I don't agree with Bilas but I also don't agree with he bs that kid for Florida had to go through. There has to be a happy medium.

I love Bilas but he can get downright nasty if anyone argues with him. The lawyer in him comes out with no judge (except Reece) to control him. Where I always thought parity started in college hoops was when small schools stopped being awed and intimidated by the big boys. I remember as a kid when a school like Wagner or Siena would come to Manley, they would crap their pants. With the onset of AAU teams and more opportunity for kids to play in the offseason against each other, that gap was bridged. Now with more and more players leaving early, the gap is bridged even more. So while I understand Jay arguing there is no such thing, I see what people mean when they talk about it...just don't argue with Jay or you're gonna lose!...

scholarships can be revoked as is

if you play a non revenue generating sport tough luck, that's capitalism for you

Money in money out...its a basic concept and anybody who is arguing against it should take a pay cut so their boss can get a raise...because that is what they are arguing for!

SUFan44 said:
People come out with arguments like Jalen Rose did during the segment, that his mother's power was being shut off - or the equivalent for another player - was a reason these kids deserved to be paid.

They are being paid an education that is going to help them in the long run. They have ZERO student loans, zero worry about meal plans, declining dollars, they eat well on road trips, they get tons of gear.

You can make the argument that all the students that are not athletes in school can have jobs - that's an old argument. These kids CAN have jobs now. They can make money. There are rules, but they can have an income that can help.

Yeah, so reasonable to expect with their insane practice, training and travel schedule along with classes that they will have the time to work a job.

I agree that the system is flawed - but I don't believe paying the athletes is a road you want to go down.

People come out with arguments like Jalen Rose did during the segment, that his mother's power was being shut off - or the equivalent for another player - was a reason these kids deserved to be paid.

They are being paid an education that is going to help them in the long run. They have ZERO student loans, zero worry about meal plans, declining dollars, they eat well on road trips, they get tons of gear.

You can make the argument that all the students that are not athletes in school can have jobs - that's an old argument. These kids CAN have jobs now. They can make money. There are rules, but they can have an income that can help.

This is simply the worst argument possible. If you aren't paying someone in straight cash homie...you aren't paying them. More to the point, there are way too many universities that prioritize winning and push kids academically unfit for college into bogus degree programs (and then pencil-whip the grades), that saying the colleges are "paying" kids via education is non-sense.

If the NCAA wants the right to approve the programs scholarship athletes get into, monitor the programs, and audit periodically to make sure colleges have legitimate student-athletes - fine. But they don't want to do that, because the costs would be way too high and the risk of losing too many premier players is too high as well. So we go with a system where universities pretend to educate their top level athletes, the "students" pretend to care about their education, and some fans pretend the system is equitable and working fine.

I totally support the idea of a union for college athletes - they are the most exploited labor force in America today (at least within the revenue producing sports).

Sorry I missed this. Do they run a Gameday replay on ESPN3?

Yeah, so reasonable to expect with their insane practice, training and travel schedule along with classes that they will have the time to work a job.

I thought jobs were illegal? The logic being that Billy Fucillo could hire CJ Fair and pay him 50K to no show.

Let the high school grads go straight to the pros. Problem solved. Paying student athletes will ruin college sports.
Notice how nobody brought up the point that you can't just pay the football and basketball players. ALL scholarship athletes in non-revenue sports will be legally entitled to the same compensation. So the next step would be that schools will eliminate all the non-revenue sports. The step after that is all the big state schools with insane boosters (UK, AL, OSU etc) will buy up all the talent. I think it was Bilas who said the NCAA should stop hassling athletes because someone "loaned" them a car. Well if the NCAA stops enforcing that it wouldn't be long before wealthy boosters at big schools would be giving every good recruit cars, boats, jewelry you name it to buy up talent... it would be like the wild west and only the schools with the richest, fanatical boosters would be big time.

Reactions: MGP
This is simply the worst argument possible. If you aren't paying someone in straight cash homie...you aren't paying them. More to the point, there are way too many universities that prioritize winning and push kids academically unfit for college into bogus degree programs (and then pencil-whip the grades), that saying the colleges are "paying" kids via education is non-sense.

If the NCAA wants the right to approve the programs scholarship athletes get into, monitor the programs, and audit periodically to make sure colleges have legitimate student-athletes - fine. But they don't want to do that, because the costs would be way too high and the risk of losing too many premier players is too high as well. So we go with a system where universities pretend to educate their top level athletes, the "students" pretend to care about their education, and some fans pretend the system is equitable and working fine.

I totally support the idea of a union for college athletes - they are the most exploited labor force in America today (at least within the revenue producing sports).

That argument applies to 5% of the NCAA student-athlete population. Which makes your argument even more ridiculous.

95% of all student-athletes know they need to graduate from college for their future.

95% of these kids are going to go out and buy XBox360 and every game out there, every shoe out there, designer clothes, etc. Stuff that they absolutely don't need.

Ummm --- worst argument ever.

Ummm --- worst argument ever.

Ok - then give me a better one, other than "they don't get enough and deserve more."

You know branding helps them too, right? Marketing? Being on ESPN? Do you know how much exposure is worth? It's worth a lot more than what other kids are making as students that can work jobs.

Go play in Spain and tell me you'll get the exposure you would if you played at Duke or Syracuse.

scholarships can be revoked as is

if you play a non revenue generating sport tough luck, that's capitalism for you
No one is forcing you to play a revenue-generating sport either. The current system is capitalism at its finest -- the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Last edited:
You do know those marketing the kids make money from it
You also realize how little a school makes from the sale of a jersey (relative to its sale price), right? Nike isn't the behemoth it is because it believes in lifting up the little guy. (Also, why hasn't anyone created a Boeheimoth t-shirt?)

Agree. NBA rule be damned.

Either come to college and be a college student for an extended period or go look for a professional hoops job straight out of high school and best of luck to you.

It's not the first time they have had this same argument about parity.

At this point I think Bilas is just frustrated with Digger's stupidity, or more politically correct, failing to grasp the concepts previously detailed in earlier discussions. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Agree.

I firmly disagree with him about the pay-for-play business, but he's out there actually arguing and using logic with three people who talk in cliches and are not nearly as bright as he is. It's not easy.

Please no. Would only further encourage taking easy classes/majors, like "general studies" or "sports broadcasting" or "Communications" or "African American studies", etc.

They are already doing that and not making the grade. ;)

I'm willing to bet that maybe the schools tighten up those type of things if it saves the $$$.

But I should have made it clearer that the school sets the academic standard, barest minimum being NCAA, but it could be higher to get stipend.

Cheers,
Neil

He made a strong point that if a kid borrows a car there's an NCAA investigation. If he steals a car the NCAA does nothing. The athletes deserve a real voice and voting interest in the room where rules are made.

That's not an argument for unionization or paying players, though: it just highlights the fact that the NCAA -- the organization best suited to look out for the best interests of the students and nothing else -- is corrupt and has abdicated its responsibility.

This is a simple fix that the schools don't even have to take a dime out of their pocket.

Allow the players to sell their likeness and make money off autographs, appearances, jerseys, etc. That way the good players will get their money and the 12th man will still be able to get an education.

As far as the "but what if some school has a booster that pays a billion dollars for an autograph?""...so? We already have boosters paying for better coaches, better arenas, better places to sleep, better places to eat, better places to practice, and don't be naive, they are already paying the players. God forbid the players see the money on the books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom