Jay Wright should do the right thing and step down now. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright should do the right thing and step down now.

Obviously Jay Wright isn't the answer for Villanova. Huge choke job as a favorite. They've only made it to one Sweet Sixteen in the last seven years. They're in a downward spiral, winning a full FIVE fewer tournament games this year as opposed to last year. Villanova should push him out so they can expedite the transition to the future of Wildcats basketball.

Last year's championship was just a mirage that masks the downward trend of their program since making the Sweet Sixteen four out of five years from 04-05 through 07-08.

Their recruiting is in a dangerous spot, too. They only have three commits for next year, and one of them is a TWO-star.

Sorry, Jay, but you need to leave right now before things get any worse and it's tough for Villanova to rebuild to the glory of yesteryear.
I got ya, problem is...there is a lot of stupid and thin skinned people on here.

And since ou have a low post count, it's likely most don't know your style or hook...and the cleverness will be lost as THEY all do the swinging and missing.

Which appears to have already begun...

Nice work...

Clearly it's not since teams are using it to recruit against us and fans/analysts wonder out loud when JB's last season will be and if Hop is the coach in waiting.

Other teams using it against us?? Thats your rationale? Other teams will recuit against anybody in any way they can. How does that make anything they say true?? If I was another team, I'd be telling recruits that playing at SU under Hopkins would be the biggest mistake ever. Given how the Syracuse fan base is calling for Boeheim's head now, the odds of you having more than a year or two under Hopkins is slim to none.

Obviously Jay Wright isn't the answer for Villanova. Huge choke job as a favorite. They've only made it to one Sweet Sixteen in the last seven years. They're in a downward spiral, winning a full FIVE fewer tournament games this year as opposed to last year. Villanova should push him out so they can expedite the transition to the future of Wildcats basketball.

Last year's championship was just a mirage that masks the downward trend of their program since making the Sweet Sixteen four out of five years from 04-05 through 07-08.

Their recruiting is in a dangerous spot, too. They only have three commits for next year, and one of them is a TWO-star.

Sorry, Jay, but you need to leave right now before things get any worse and it's tough for Villanova to rebuild to the glory of yesteryear.

Never understood the Jay Wright talk. Average coach.

Since the Tyler Ennis miracle shot at Pitt we are 31-31 in the ACC. No ACCT wins. The Dayton tourney loss. A miracle F4 run masked some major problems. We have a self-ban (likely NIT) and an NIT berth sprinkled in there as well. Yeah, we're good with JB. :bang:
53807822.jpg

Other teams using it against us?? Thats your rationale? Other teams will recuit against anybody in any way they can. How does that make anything they say true?? If I was another team, I'd be telling recruits that playing at SU under Hopkins would be the biggest mistake ever. Given how the Syracuse fan base is calling for Boeheim's head now, the odds of you having more than a year or two under Hopkins is slim to none.
Lol. Yes, I'm sure the ol' "they have a mean message board" sales pitch is a killer to our recruiting.

Cal to Quade: "Have you seen what longislandcuse is saying about your height!?"

Damn you. I was just coming to post this.

So what do you propose we do?

Allow Boeheim free reign? No timetable?

So far he's done nothing to give us any reason to believe his system works in the ACC. We've been a middle of the pack squad since joining which is beyond unacceptable.

So far he's given us no reason to believe recruiting will uptick. It's been steadily declining under his leadership (or lack thereof) aside from 1 or 2 potential NBA talents brought in per year, which should be the baseline for a program like ours.

If anything, comments from top recruits about JB and his style would lead anyone to believe we may not have hit rock bottom on the recruiting trail under him just yet.

Are we ever going to be ranked in the foreseeable future again? How is Syracuse rarely being in the Top 25 in basketball acceptable?

It's been 3 years of mediocrity with a noticeable decline in recruiting.

The Final Four was a band-aid on a hemhorraging program. We desperately need a new doctor.

First of all, he has a time table already.

Nothing to show his system works in the ACC? How about second in the ACC in 13-14? He's gone 42-30 (.583) in the ACC in the regular season, with no losing records in-conference, and only Duke, UNC, UVA and Notre Dame have won more ACC games in that span. (ND has us by one game)

Mind you, that's while dealing with NCAA penalties three of those four years.

Rarely in the top 25? We finished the year in the top 25 seven years in the 90s, seven years in the 00s, six so far in the 10s with two left.

Calling this program hemorrhaging is absurd. Nine NCAA Tournament wins in the last five seasons.

Nothing to show his system works in the ACC? How about second in the ACC in 13-14? He's gone 42-30 (.583) in the ACC in the regular season, with no losing records in-conference, and only Duke, UNC, UVA and Notre Dame have won more ACC games in that span. (ND has us by one game)

Rarely in the top 25? We finished the year in the top 25 seven years in the 90s, seven years in the 00s, six so far in the 10s with two left.

Calling this program hemorrhaging is absurd. Nine NCAA Tournament wins in the last five seasons.
And I can make numbers do things too.

Anybody who thinks we're on solid footing right now is crazy.

Is JB bigger than the program? If he is, then ok, let him do what he wants and we'll eventually figure it out.

If he's not, it's time.

Can we merge this thread and HakAttack's thread and trade JB and Hop to Villanova for Jay Wright and an assistant coach to be named later?

And 42 losses since the 2013 Final Four. Which you conveniently choose to ignore.

And I can make numbers do things too.

Anybody who thinks we're on solid footing right now is crazy.

Is JB bigger than the program? If he is, then ok, let him do what he wants and we'll eventually figure it out.

If he's not, it's time.

We get it. You want him fired. You've said it many ways. Give it a rest.

This thread is the ultimate strawman and should be deleted.

You can defend JB and the wall and not start this crap.

Wright has a lot of flameouts since 2010 that is a fact.

This thread isn't a good troll job.

You're blind if you think recruiting hasn't fallen off. And you're misguided if you don't have concerns about the state of this program. IMO JB retiring this offseason would be the first part of turning this around. There's no reason he should hang on for dear life until he's literally in the grave. He's not getting it done anymore. Point blank.

There no conjecture about any of that. We have over 40 losses in the last three seasons. Not good.

I have concerns, namely:

1. Surviving the penalties against the program and the coaching transition to resume being as successful as ever.

2. Adjusting to the ACC and recruiting in our new conference long-term.

3. Whether or not Hopkins will be successful.

I'm not a huge lover of JB, I hate playing 100% zone and it drives me nuts when he doesn't come out of it when someone is lighting us up from three. I don't like his personality, and I'm not a huge fan of what I've seen from his character behind the scenes first and second hand over the years. (Mostly just being a jerk.)

That said, the best chance at accomplishing our goals as a program come from JB going out on his terms while still successful.

I didn't say that my thread did. What I did say is that a thread started for the sole purpose of trolling another thread which is engaging in decent discussion accomplishes nothing.

The purpose of this thread was not trolling, it was to make the point that people are being crazy because they're upset by a "bad," season. Bad by our standards, of course, was to miss the tournament by ONE spot, be the #1 overall seed in the NIT, and win 19 games. Disappointing, for sure, but not exactly a "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!" situation.

Never understood the Jay Wright talk. Average coach.

I think he's very good, but I think people just put way too much weight in one year. They gave him too little credit before last year, too much credit after last year, and now he'll get criticism for an early exit which is fair but will be overstated.

I have concerns, namely:

1. Surviving the penalties against the program and the coaching transition to resume being as successful as ever.

2. Adjusting to the ACC and recruiting in our new conference long-term.

3. Whether or not Hopkins will be successful.

I'm not a huge lover of JB, I hate playing 100% zone and it drives me nuts when he doesn't come out of it when someone is lighting us up from three. I don't like his personality, and I'm not a huge fan of what I've seen from his character behind the scenes first and second hand over the years. (Mostly just being a jerk.)

That said, the best chance at accomplishing our goals as a program come from JB going out on his terms while still successful.

The purpose of this thread was not trolling, it was to make the point that people are being crazy because they're upset by a "bad," season. Bad by our standards, of course, was to miss the tournament by ONE spot, be the #1 overall seed in the NIT, and win 19 games. Disappointing, for sure, but not exactly a "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!" situation.

I think he's very good, but I think people just put way too much weight in one year. They gave him too little credit before last year, too much credit after last year, and now he'll get criticism for an early exit which is fair but will be overstated.
The thing I'll take issue with here is when you say that people here are upset because of one bad year. There's been a lot of posters worried about the state of this program since the 25-0 start a few years ago when we saw a lot of cracks in the foundation.

I pray this is the case in regard to the OP! This means we can go hard after Jay Wright and replace him with Jim Boeheim and his 42 losses the past three years. 42 losses!!!!! Also, his 2 whiffs on the NCAA Tournament. Jay Wright on the other hand we can bring in who has lost 11 games the past three years and fresh off winning a national championship. FIRE.

I was wondering when you and Kaiser would show up. Right on time.
I will defend Kaiser when a thread gets him to post on the basketball board it usually involves something really stupid being said or we won something big.

His post would probably be directed at the OP in this thread.

Syracuse lost 37 games from 05-06 to 07-08, then averaged 29.5 wins over the next six years. We're under NCAA penalties and things aren't great, but it's not horrible either. People are overreacting.
Where is our top rated recruited class like we had in 2008?
Flynn/Scoop/Greene/Jackson were all freshman we all knew it wouldn't be easy that year. They had all the hype and were young. We lost Devo in nonconference play.

2007-2008 we all saw potential with young guards and bigs.
We have no guards outside of Battle now like then.

To equate these situations similarly is to bury your head in sand. Our recruiting has stagnated. Go listen to Francis or RF.

We are for a tough road because JB doesn't recruit like he once did and we are in a transition.