Grant

Off the Bench
Roberson
Silent G
DeJaun

Kaleb

That's a pretty competent bench.

happens.
Right. this was clearly the plan when this year's class was recruited, both from the coach's standpoint as well as the incoming player's expectation. It's tough to convince a 5-Star/McD AA recruit to come to SU when they can expect limited minutes stuck behind an upperclassman starter (that is, unless you are a an team like Kentucky). We have always landed our best players when there is a known position opening, like McCullough taking Fair's spot. Whether you're a coach or recruit, it's impossible to anticipate how injuries, 1-and-dones, suspensions, transfers, etc. will affect the team make-up a year or two down the road.

Uk went to the nit after winning the title then going to the title game the next year. I'd sign up for that. Unfortunately second round loss followed by a NIT then who knows what next year brings us. It's not comparable.
You're drifting from the point. Who do you think they should have brought in, in the Spring at pg? That unknown pg would have had to be better than KJ2 and/or Patterson to make a difference. And probably take us right out of the Bryant sweepstakes.

My point about UK was that SU has entered into a slightly riskier recruiting model to compete with the top teams. And top teams have had problems with it. SU may have been caught. The departure of Ennis really hurt, it was a year early. The staff tried to recruit for the possibility but Rysheed didn't want it. That is part of the risk.

That is true plus we don't pay for our players unlike UK for instance.
I wouldn't be so certain about this considering that the NCAA is about to drop the hammer on the school for major violations.

Patterson played very well when he forgot about shooting 3s. It worked to his advantage and he will get more playing time this year. He can show it over the summer, in practice...and most importantly when he gets in the games early in the year next year. There is nothing wrong with him stopping the his 3s now for the good of the team.

Just watched it...it reads WAY worse than what it was.

He's just saying Patterson needs to drive and kick or drive to the hole.
He can't make 3s and he's hurting the team forcing them
I didn't think his comments were so bad. Just said Buss needs to drive more to help the team and said that KJ needs to play defense. He didn't belabor the point, though he was agitated thinking about it, i.e. kept doing things with his hands while talking about it...

I love the coaches really I do, but

8-10 minutes left in the game we take the ball inside 4 possessions get 4 fouls and its a 3 point game. VT with 4 fouls 3, and 3 on three of their best players. Then what do we do?? Jack up 5 threes, REALLY?? :bang:
Very next play xmas fouls out the guy with 5, and we get to the line every possession we want from that possession on. We should have won by 8, crunch time is the wrong point in the game to make that mistake.
I watched it all happen and nearly broke my tv after the first three went up screaming WHY?

Still love em, everyone misses something sometimes.

Do you honestly think the coaches told the players to jack those 3's up? I would wager a hefty amount that the instructions are to get it to Rak every possession. To think otherwise is crazy.

Boeheim comes off like a jerk in these news conferences. Sorry but that's the way I see it. He seems to go out of his way to criticize players, even after a great win. There are ways to say things that get your point across without sounding like a bully. Comes across as a burned out coach who is not enjoying this team and in particular some of the players that he recruited. Maybe he's been spoiled by the run of great players just like us fans. Don't buy the argument, "its Boeheim, he's always been this way, nothing will change." That's not an excuse for treating the media with disdain and sarcasm. They are just doing their job and don't appear to be asking him loaded questions. I have thought for a long time that the AD should discuss Boeheim's relationships with the press and his treatment of players publicly, with him. No doubt they are a intimidated by Boeheim and don't want to take him on.

Do you honestly think the coaches told the players to jack those 3's up? I would wager a hefty amount that the instructions are to get it to Rak every possession. To think otherwise is crazy.

On Ron Patterson: Ronnie just, unfortunately, he believes he can make 3s. I don't know why he believes that. There's no reason he should believe that. He continues to prove every night and every day that he can't, but he's still going to take them. He's got to drive. He's got to make plays. He's got to be in the game because the other guy isn't playing defense so we have to have somebody. We have to have five guys. He's in the game because we have to have five guys, that's why he's in the game. ... He's got to make plays, get the ball to (Christmas), penetrate and kick. I wish he could make some. I would be happy. It would be a great thing. But after 22 games you have to look at the numbers and say, 'You know what, you can't make it.' You're shooting 15 percent. All right. I can shoot 15 percent right now. I'm 70 years old. I can shoot 15 percent. You have to do what's good for your team. You have to make plays, get in the lane, get to the basket, something. Play good defense, get in transition. Let's do that. Let's stick with that. Let's do what we can do, not what we think we can, not what we dream we can do. That's not dream land out there.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...k_win_virginia_tech.html#incart_story_package

He got transition layups, which was good, but you don't usually get those,'' Boeheim said. "That's partly because we were trapping and stuff like that. He's got to play half-court basketball and make plays and get the ball to Rak and penetrate and kick. Do things like that for us to be successful.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._take_any_more_3-point_shots_jim_boeheim.html

Patterson is currently shooting 8 for 48 (.167) from the 3 line.

Boeheim comes off like a jerk in these news conferences. Sorry but that's the way I see it. He seems to go out of his way to criticize players, even after a great win. There are ways to say things that get your point across without sounding like a bully. Comes across as a burned out coach who is not enjoying this team and in particular some of the players that he recruited. Maybe he's been spoiled by the run of great players just like us fans. Don't buy the argument, "its Boeheim, he's always been this way, nothing will change." That's not an excuse for treating the media with disdain and sarcasm. They are just doing their job and don't appear to be asking him loaded questions. I have thought for a long time that the AD should discuss Boeheim's relationships with the press and his treatment of players publicly, with him. No doubt they are a intimidated by Boeheim and don't want to take him on.

I know! What a big meanie that Jim Boeheim is! How dare he call G's game winner one of the best plays he's seen and how dare he praise the entire team by calling that comeback one of the best he's been a part of.

On Gbinije's game-winner:In the end we were going to go to (Christmas). They took a guy off of Mike. We wanted to get the ball right back to Mike and let him go. He didn't settle for an off-balance jumper. He spun back and made a great play. I mean he made a great play, one of the best plays in that situation that I've seen

On the remarkable nature of the comeback: To be able to get those turnovers without fouling, I thought our guys did an amazing job. I've been in a lot of games and I'm probably going to overstate this, but the way we were, where we were, they have four guards out there, we're a little bit tired. This comeback ranks up there with any that I've been a part of.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ul_remarkable_comeback_win_virginia_tech.html

I didn't think his comments were so bad. Just said Buss needs to drive more to help the team and said that KJ needs to play defense. He didn't belabor the point, though he was agitated thinking about it, i.e. kept doing things with his hands while talking about it...
Guess you missed the "I'm 70 and I can shoot that well" and "I don't know why he thinks he can shoot". That stuff isn't horrible but it's more than "he needs to drive more", it's personal, and it's not necessary.

Guess you missed the "I'm 70 and I can shoot that well" and "I don't know why he thinks he can shoot". That stuff isn't horrible but it's more than "he needs to drive more", it's personal, and it's not necessary.

He isn't making the shots in practice. He isn't making the shots in a game. He's been told by the coaching staff not to shoot.

Yet he keeps shooting.

Maybe it is necessary.

As stated, JB has never been a loving father figure to his players. He says it how he sees it. Some players can handle it, others can't.

I actually think as great as JB has been over his career (and believe me, he's been great) that is his one fatal flaw. His players over the years haven't shown the same type of heart and enthusiasm in playing for JB that is shown at Michigan state, duke, etc.

As stated, JB has never been a loving father figure to his players. He says it how he sees it. Some players can handle it, others can't.

I actually think as great as JB has been over his career (and believe me, he's been great) that is his one fatal flaw. His players over the years haven't shown the same type of heart and enthusiasm in playing for JB that is shown at Michigan state, duke, etc.

I don't know about that. Seeing Devendorf working out with the team, following DC on twitter and seeing him at pretty much every big game, a coaching staff full of former players, kids/nephews of former players coming her, the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center - all of these seem to show a pretty deep commitment to Syracuse from many former players.

Still, I would prefer to play for more of the father figure type coach, but his methods clearly work for some people.

I'm not saying I'd say the same thing, but thought it would be worse after reading about it before seeing it. My main take from JB's comments was that Buss wasn't helping by shooting 3's, rather he'd help the team by driving and dishing. Many people don't like JB's sarcasm and if I were asked to advise him, I'd suggest he back off and not be so snarky but think he already gets that advice. In the end, I suspect JB and Buss have a pretty close relationship and can work it out for themselves.

Here's Buss' reaction, per the PS:

"I can shoot 15 percent right now," Boeheim said after the game. "I'm 70 years old."

In SU's locker room, Patterson had already received Boeheim's message.

"Yeah, I'm not shooting no more. Never again,'' Patterson said with a sheepish grin. "He told me if I shoot it again, I'm coming out, so yeah, I'm not shooting them no more.''

I'm not saying I'd say the same thing, but thought it would be worse after reading about it before seeing it. My main take from JB's comments was that Buss wasn't helping by shooting 3's, rather he'd help the team by driving and dishing. Many people don't like JB's sarcasm and if I were asked to advise him, I'd suggest he back off and not be so snarky but think he already gets that advice. In the end, I suspect JB and Buss have a pretty close relationship and can work it out for themselves.

Here's Buss' reaction, per the PS:

"I can shoot 15 percent right now," Boeheim said after the game. "I'm 70 years old."

In SU's locker room, Patterson had already received Boeheim's message.

"Yeah, I'm not shooting no more. Never again,'' Patterson said with a sheepish grin. "He told me if I shoot it again, I'm coming out, so yeah, I'm not shooting them no more.''
Sounds like all he had to say was: You'll be coming out if you shoot. I think that would have worked.

And you think this hasn't been said already this year?
You have to wonder. Or he hasn't really followed through because Buss keeps shooting. If JB is saying he's uncontrollable, then that's another problem.

I'd wager he's told him not to shoot threes but maybe never said "or else" before. It's true that JB is between a rock and a hard place with KJ's defensive problems.

I don't see the point in being annoyed with someone going 0-2 from deep in a game. If one takes
another player's freshman stats, a shooter, and rates them over 48 shots, he's all of 13-48, kinda
close to the 8-48 JB's b-tching about. That's the same guy who went 2-12 from the three last night.
A redshirt junior ought to be able to look at his shooting and say "ok, I'm 5-6 inside the arc, 2-11
from deep, maybe I ought not to shoot this three ... awww What, here goes ... [ROCK]" Why call out
a guy who had a fairly decent game, especially after one took a little more advantage of his
defensive skills?

In general is the team playing well? No. But they won, and right now, they need wins. And as a
team, they at least need people who are somewhat competent on the offensive end to take shots.

Kev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom