JB and a Plan ??? | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our brand is good but that doesn't mean we will be successful. Since our title (17 seasons) here is a list of Final Four appearances by school. Notice how many Indiana has? When was their last title? Arizona Final Fours? Maryland? How many titles has UCLA won since Wooden? When was their last one? Historically how many programs have had success under multiple coaches? Can we?

5-
UNC, Michigan State

4-
UConn, Kentucky, UCLA

3-
Louisville, Florida, Duke, Nova, Kansas

2-
Butler, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Michigan, Gonzaga

1-
GA Tech, Oklahoma State, Illinois, LSU, George Mason, Georgetown, Memphis, West Virginia, VCU, Wichita State, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Loyola-Chicago, UVA, Texas Tech, Auburn, Baylor, Houston
I don’t understand.
1) None of this is predictive.
2) What defines “multiple coaches?” During that arbitrary ”17 season” period? Even if so, how does wooden factor into that?

Anyone who debates our top 10 status is brain dead. I landed in Athens Greece in August 1996 and the security guards looked at my jacket and mimicked a shot. they spoke no english but knew Syracuse=Rony=basketball=success at basketball=known commodity. And that was, checking notes, 26 years ago. The program has only become more notable since.

Where i'll disagree somewhat is we have no idea what Wildhack thinks about the next coach and if the DNA is within the assistants or Hopkins (i lump them together) and its worth preserving versus blowing it all up and creating a new DNA with an outside. One of these roads will cost alot of money. The other won't. JW may think why spend top money for an outsider when the insider will have a shot at rebuilding this thing back to the glory of yesteryear.

No one really knows. What we do know is...Jim will say things and continue to say things until he says good bye (and then will probably still say things)
Sorry, man, but to not be ”brain dead” one has to accept a single fan’s 25 year old personal anecdote about a reaction from a security guard? Even if that person were named Statsos Mastersonis, that assessment of our program then would be quite stale now. And it’s not a stat…. If Rony=Syracuse and only 5% of recruits know who Rony is, then the Syracuse brand has but 5% value. That’s math!

Gave you a like. I'm just going to say one thing about the 6-7 man class:

What that means now is likely half will be gone after two years, if not more. None of those guys, outside of if we get Mintz, is an ESPN 100 guy. If we are to get back on track, they all need to be recruited over. Every one of them.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's what we need. Those guys should not be the foundation. Maybe one or two of them will stick and play above ranking or find a good role, but I wouldn't bank on any more than that.
Bunch and Taylor are both top 100 in 247.

1) There is no way that there was a “plan” for JB to coach 5 more years at age 50, or whatever the heck he’s trying to suggest. He may have had contracts of certain lengths, or certain processes for year end evaluations, but I completely reject the notion that there was a “5 year plan” during any part of his tenure until quite recently.

2). He called in to this show unscheduled? Please tell me I have that wrong.

No. And since he said he’s not selecting the coach but will have some input I suspect they probably don’t have one selected.

Not to be jerky, but how is that "an ironclad plan" ?
Just using the guy's own words.

1) There is no way that there was a “plan” for JB to coach 5 more years at age 50, or whatever the heck he’s trying to suggest. He may have had contracts of certain lengths, or certain processes for year end evaluations, but I completely reject the notion that there was a “5 year plan” during any part of his tenure until quite recently.

2). He called in to this show unscheduled? Please tell me I have that wrong.
The call today was planned - he’s on that show every Thursday.

No they aren't.
Close enough. Bunch is 96 and Taylor is 108 (he had been at #73 in Nov. and in the 50s and 60s before that). Bunch is 56 in 247’s own recruit rankings (non-composite). Look, I don’t think either one is gonna be an instant impact type of player, but they’re guys with nice long term upside.

time to switch up the assistant coaches. we need to take a serious look at the CAWDER College head thane Joe Macbeth.

_123433956_a3f244f6-ee4d-4e7f-bb2a-dd74666350e2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online