JB and Roberson | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JB and Roberson

I can't blame Jb for being frustrated, the talent is there, and he just hasn't reached what he is capable of.

I always hear this damn tune. Is the talent there? What's he capable of? Beating the Monstars?

I want to know these answers because I keep hearing this nonsense.

I always hear this damn tune. Is the talent there? What's he capable of? Beating the Monstars?

I want to know these answers because I keep hearing this nonsense.
Of course the talent is there -- the talent to be a disruptive force defensively and on the glass, particularly the offensive glass. It's been on display in numerous high leverage games throughout his career, but it has also been absent in many other games. That is the source of the frustration for JB and many others.

Robersons great when he wants to be. That's the issue.

And this is exactly why JB yells at him more than anyone else. Roberson seems to need constant motivation in order to keep/get his fire lit. I mean he's a freaking senior, this shouldn't be necessary by the time you have 4 years in. He should understand that that you have to bring it every freaking night especially when your game is all about tenacity, rebounding, defense and doing the hard things.

But if you guys who keep complaining about JB treating him so poorly would rather that JB hold his hand and sing Kumbaya with him, maybe it would be worth trying.

Last edited:
Of course the talent is there -- the talent to be a disruptive force defensively and on the glass, particularly the offensive glass. It's been on display in numerous high leverage games throughout his career, but it has also been absent in many other games. That is the source of the frustration for JB and many others.

I think a lot of this stems from fouls. When he picks up early fouls, he fades away. And it makes complete sense. A guy who is "supposed" to be in there battling 2-3 guys for rebounds every possession is going to pick up some fouls. Unfortunately, it's hard to be aggressive when you are picking up fouls. Makes you timid.

It's kind of relentless and the kid has shown he doesn't really respond.

Do you think the 'hairdryer' treatment is making him a better player? Because it's clearly not.

One think I do know, nobody on the message board declaring what's good or bad for Robey has any clue at all what's good or bad for him. NO IDEA. JB has been with the kid everyday for 4 years.

The second part of that diatribe is something like "you're a senior and we're here on the road and you're coming out flat, are you kidding me?" I know Roberson was calling for some fouls last night, one of them worked (when he deked the ref). It was savvy, but that's not gonna win any points with JB. Especially against a Buzz Williams team.

The fact of the matter is this: Roberson has to be the leader of this team. Has to. Whether we, or JB, likes it or not, he's the defacto lead dog of this team as a 4 year senior getting bulk minutes and he simply doesn't do it. He doesn't do it vocally, doesn't do it by example. Is that his fault? No, it's his nature. Does that make it any less infuriating for the coach? Not at all. And certainly not in a key road game that was ripe for the picking. Gillon and White may be 45 years old, but they've been here 6 months. And the fact that Roberson makes the same mistakes we saw 3 years ago with slow rotations, welp.

One think I do know, nobody on the message board declaring what's good or bad for Robey has any clue at all what's good or bad for him. NO IDEA. JB has been with the kid everyday for 4 years.

I don't have a problem with players being yelled at. That's the game. Anyone who has played sports has dealt with it. My issue is consistency and where Jim seems to point the finger. I also am sick of people here who post about Tyler "auditioning" and needing "fire every game" and all that overblown BS.

I don't have a problem with players being yelled at. That's the game. Anyone who has played sports has dealt with it. My issue is consistency and where Jim seems to point the finger. I also am sick of people here who post about Tyler "auditioning" and needing "fire every game" and all that overblown BS.

for all of JBs faults. People are going to be sorry when he's gone.

And this is exactly why JB yells at him more than anyone else. Roberson seems to need constant motivation in order to keep/get his fire lit. I mean he's a freaking senior, this shouldn't be necessary by the time you have 4 years in, you should understand that that you have to bring it every freaking night especially when you game is all about tenacity, rebounding, defense and doing the hard things.

But if you guys who keep complaining about JB treating him so poorly would rather that JB hold his hand and sing Kumbaya with him, maybe it would be worth trying.

This is how I feel. It was probably a week ago where we had a thread questing if Roberson should even see the court again as part of the regular rotation. He was okay last night but not as consistent as we need him to be throughout the game, and it seemed like a decent amount of his production was during too little too late time.

But he was far from the biggest problem. Gillon having a poor game killed us and then Lydon didn't start off well and then got hurt, plus as well as Thompson played on offense, he was a turnstile on defense.

And this is exactly why JB yells at him more than anyone else. Roberson seems to need constant motivation in order to keep/get his fire lit. I mean he's a freaking senior, this shouldn't be necessary by the time you have 4 years in, you should understand that that you have to bring it every freaking night especially when you game is all about tenacity, rebounding, defense and doing the hard things.

Treating him like a rented mule or coddling him aren't the only possible approaches.

Treating him like a rented mule or coddling him aren't the only possible approaches.

But after 4 years of being his coach, I'll trust JB to determine what approach has the best chance of working with him. It's not as though JB only has two approaches to his players, he treats them all somewhat differently and part of that is based on his assessment of what he thinks he needs to do to drag as much out of them as is possible. Maybe he's wrong? After all noone is right all the time. But 40 years of success says he's probably got a better grasp on what it might take to motivate Roberson then all of us who only see small 40 minute segments of Roberson, and from afar at that.

But after 4 years of being his coach, I'll trust JB to determine what approach has the best chance of working with him. It's not as though JB only has two approaches to his players, he treats them all somewhat differently and part of that is based on his assessment of what he thinks he needs to do to drag as much out of them as is possible. Maybe he's wrong? After all noone is right all the time. But 40 years of success says he's probably got a better grasp on what it might take to motivate Roberson then all of us who only see small 40 minute segments of Roberson, and from afar at that.
Is this first hand knowledge, or are you guessing like the rest of us?

Sorry, but the results speak for themselves.

Is this first hand knowledge, or are you guessing like the rest of us?

Guessing at what? Whether JB knows his players better than we do?

I guess that I am guessing, based on us seeing that he seems to single certain guys out, that he treats them all differently. Seems like a reasonable guess. Some guys get yelled at, some guys get star treatment, some guys get token starter treatment, some guys are in the middle.

But, maybe he does just pick one guy on each roster to verbally abuse just for the fun of it. I don't know doesn't seem like he'd ultimately be successful doing that, but who knows.

Frank Howard on a delayed break passing it to TR on the baseline for about a 12 foot no shot jumper pretty much summed up the night.

The point you make here more than sums up the night, it truly represents how Howard really has no clue in being the floor general, and, yet again demonstrates his poor basketball IQ. Combined with his lack of skill set/handle as a lead guard along with being an inadequate shooter, he's really, unfortunately, a detriment out there.

Board has reached new heights. An 8 page thread based on lip reading a one on one discussion between Boeheim and Robey?
Look, I agree with the sentiment. I absolutely love "plugged in Robey" and what he brings to this team. I hate to see the public criticism of individual players whenever it occurs and think it serves no purpose whatsoever. However, I won't second guess the approach JB uses, ostensibly in private, to motivate individual players. The data is too strong in his favor.

Board has reached new heights. An 8 page thread based on lip reading a one on one discussion between Boeheim and Robey?
Look, I agree with the sentiment. I absolutely love "plugged in Robey" and what he brings to this team. I hate to see the public criticism of individual players whenever it occurs and think it serves no purpose whatsoever. However, I won't second guess the approach JB uses, ostensibly in private, to motivate individual players. The data is too strong in his favor.

I don't think anyone is arguing what his approach may be in private, as uh, that would be private and amongst themselves. It's his public outbursts of alleged "motivation" that certainly can be called into question...regardless of results.

Guessing at what? Whether JB knows his players better than we do?

I guess that I am guessing, based on us seeing that he seems to single certain guys out, that he treats them all differently. Seems like a reasonable guess. Some guys get yelled at, some guys get star treatment, some guys get token starter treatment, some guys are in the middle.

But, maybe he does just pick one guy on each roster to verbally abuse just for the fun of it. I don't know doesn't seem like he'd ultimately be successful doing that, but who knows.
Meant to ask that differently. I was really asking if your observations are based on sitting in CTO like seats somewhere behind the bench, or observations from practice, or just TV like me.

I do find it funny that he's constantly compared to his career highlight night. Those 20 rebounds were the worst thing that ever happened to him! :) He can do that at Duke, why can't he do it every night! Grrrrr!!! Lazy! Lol

Indeed. A baseball pitcher that throws a no no, doesn't make him a Cy-Young type. Nor does that utility player that hits an occasional homer...doesn't make him a home run hitter. ;)

Indeed. A baseball pitcher that throws a no no, doesn't make him a Cy-Young type. Nor does that utility player that hits an occasional homer...doesn't make him a home run hitter. ;)
I think the problem is many don't view that as a career night. They viewed it as a sign of things to come. Not that he would have 20 boards a night but that he could have 10-12 and bring that level of energy every night. When that doesn't happen and it appears at times that he is not engaged for the full game that is where the frustration comes in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom