JB and Roberson | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB and Roberson

explain this. I still have no idea what you're talking about
JB wants Roberson to be balls out on d and on offense be a relentless offensive rebounder who does the dirty work and gets put backs. Robey spent 3 years working on 15 foot jumpers and spin moves starting at the three point line. JB also expects the seniors not to make mental mistakes, I.e. Fumbling ball off leg out of bounds. A couple games ago Robey took a 15 footer from the elbow. It was slow and it got stuffed in his face. Instead of reacting and getting the ball, he slumped and watched the defender go around him and start a break. That's the enigma. He can get 20 rebounds against duke but can't stay on the court against uconn.

Does anyone ever think JB yells at Roberson because he can take it and he's the most athletic player in the team? There's no reason why he shouldn't produce every game like he did Saturday if he brings the effort.
No. And just because he CAN take it doesn't mean that's the most effective means of communicating with him. He's been doing this with Roberson for how long? Maybe a different approach might worth considering. How long do you beat your head against a rock before figuring out that's not the best way to clear a booger?

Roberson shooting one or two jumpers doesn't kill the team.
Especially when White takes a lot selfish shots.
We don't have a lot of options.
As long Roberson crashes the boards and gives an effort which he does stop yelling at the kid.
JB treats Roberson like Michael Scott treated Toby.

What did i miss with Coleman? Is he injured? If not, how do you go from starter to being completely 'unusable?' Especially when we're giving up ten dunks?

I would say the difference is this, Roberson doesn't seem to be especially responsive to criticism, obviously...or he would be getting quadruple doubles by now with how much he's yelled at.

It's just interesting to see the different approaches.

Lydon was garbage in the first half - but the narrative would be, as it always is, "we just need him to shoot more, hit some shots, be more aggressive. Thanks, Ty!"

Roberson plays like garbage in the first half, he gets undressed on the court, in the press conference, etc...

I'm not saying that the approach isn't strategic, but man, I would lose my mind as a player watching that stuff if I was the one constantly getting yelled at. Lose. My. Mind. lol He has to notice the narrative is vastly different depending on the player, and unless he really recognizes that he's giving only 70%, not likely, it probably just frustrates him. But who knows, JB is coach, I don't these dudes, or see practices, but I'll speculate because it's a forum!! :)

It is sort of odd. Coaches yell at players though, that's not strange. Coach K looks more like a psychopath than JB...lots of coaches seem worse, but maybe more evenly distributed! :)

I also liken it somewhat to Rak - when you're a guy who just sits on the court, and the coach says, "hey go rebound, and play some defense." You're going to probably see that player get lackadaiscal at times - it's fairly typical with big men. If they aren't involved, they check out. Some people have non-stop motors, but a lot just don't. They're the little-leaguer picking daisies in right field cuz they're bored. Christmas only really showed consistency when he was involved for 40 minutes - offensively, defensively, etc...Roberson plays better when he's engaged early, otherwise, he can check out. It happens. Not sure it's all THAT shocking.

Ultimately, with him off the court our defense is pretty god-awful. We need him.

I get it...to a point. It's not necessarily the yelling that bothers me. As you mentioned, a lot of coaches use this approach. But yelling at someone saying "let's go," "hustle," etc., or I'll yank your arse out is a far cry from staring the kid down on the sides lines (in front of all to witness) and utter things like "you're such a disappointment to me," or belittling one, etc., for me...it crosses the line. That, imo, is just being mean spirited and intentionally hurtful. I don't see how that is coaching, teaching or at all motivating.

JB wants Roberson to be balls out on d and on offense be a relentless offensive rebounder who does the dirty work and gets put backs. Robey spent 3 years working on 15 foot jumpers and spin moves starting at the three point line. JB also expects the seniors not to make mental mistakes, I.e. Fumbling ball off leg out of bounds. A couple games ago Robey took a 15 footer from the elbow. It was slow and it got stuffed in his face. Instead of reacting and getting the ball, he slumped and watched the defender go around him and start a break. That's the enigma. He can get 20 rebounds against duke but can't stay on the court against uconn.
Just to play devils advocate.. Maybe Roberson wouldn't be such an enigma if he wasn't crucified after every mistake. How can anyone succeed that way?

That slumping could be the result of knowing he'll never be allowed to shoot again and may or may not play again in the game.

You lost me after "mental mistakes" and then went on to give an example of a physical mistake.

I don't get all the criticism of White. Without this guy we couldn't score 50 points a game. Who's going to score, Howard and Roberson? His shooting stats are pretty good.
I wasn't criticizing White, just speculating on where his professional future lies.

His main role on this team is to shoot, and he's been pretty good at it all season with few exceptions.

What did i miss with Coleman? Is he injured? If not, how do you go from starter to being completely 'unusable?' Especially when we're giving up ten dunks?
maybe the insiders know. is coleman even practicing ? if not get him over to big and talls and pick out a suit.

Valid question but Coleman is a horrible defender.

He's obviously hurt and as per JB, he isn't ready to compete at the required level right now based on how he looks in practice.

Then why does JB use Roberson so much in the pick and roll?

I mean, what's the point of that? If crashing the boards is truly all he wants, then he should set Roby up on the foul line on the side away from the ball. That's the best place to attack the boards from. But he keeps using him in a pointless pick and roll that nearly never results in a pass to Roberson in a position to succeed.

roberson was 7-8 from the floor. what's not to like there. oh and he led the team in rebounds .(in 20 minutes)

I'm a fan of Roberson and wanted him back to getting big minutes...but he had about 8 points and 5 rebounds in the last 3 minutes of the game when we were down double digits. The stats look good, but they don't tell the whole story here. This wasn't one of his better games. Hardly the biggest reason we lost though. PG play, and Lydon hobbling and struggling were the biggest factors, I think.

roberson was 7-8 from the floor. what's not to like there. oh and he led the team in rebounds.

I know you watched game, so I won't ask you if you did. I just wonder if you saw only what you wanted to see. Roberson padded his stats after the game was "over" with some wide open put backs when Va. Tech was trying not to foul. Roberson wasn't terrible today. He was okay. He just had a couple strong games in a row. But he was bad when he came in and had a bad first half overall. Not keyed in. He was a little better in the second half but again, not when we needed him to be really good. And he needs to stop shooting jumpers. He can't shoot. It's pathetic. A guy with his athletic ability can't hit a jumper from 10 feet.

The guy just doesn't bring it every game, so I get JB's frustrations but I have no clue why JB continues to rip him openly. It just shows how stubborn JB is. He STILL thinks Roberson will change? He won't.

I mean, what's the point of that? If crashing the boards is truly all he wants, then he should set Roby up on the foul line on the side away from the ball. That's the best place to attack the boards from. But he keeps using him in a pointless pick and roll that nearly never results in a pass to Roberson in a position to succeed.

"Assumption of rational coaching." - Sigmund Bloom. A fail in this particular matter.

Quite honestly, pretty sick of JB yelling at Roberson. He didn't play great tonight, but he has the past 3 games. Instead of speaking with Gillon or Howard who's poor play had far more of an impact on this loss, he rips on our hardest working player. Say what you want about Robersons skill set, he has been playing extremely hard lately. Even when he plays well, Boeheim gives him backhanded compliments.

You must have missed Gillon getting yanked after his 3 with a minute left.

Frank Howard on a delayed break passing it to TR on the baseline for about a 12 foot no shot jumper pretty much summed up the night.

If this comes off like more piling on FH from me, so be it. I don't care. Kid deserves it.

I don't think FH is the sharpest tool. Okay, I sort of take that back. He has shown no hoops IQ this year. And it's weird: where is the vision he had last year? He looks shattered. Then again, if he's rattled, he's the one to blame. His regression is obvious. That's the sad part, how he got here isn't sad at all. I shed no tears for a guy with self-inflicted wounds. Especially, a guy who has damaged his team and the program's future.

Last edited:

100% this

Anyone that defends Boeheim's actions towards Roberson and all of his other previous dogs needs to take off their orange colored glasses. There is nothing positive about it. It's a terrible look and it provides no motivation whatsoever. Roberson would have developed into a much better player if he was coached by anyone other than JB.

It goes without saying that JB is a great coach, but this was always one of his weaknesses.

I adopted an 8 year old beagle years ago that had an abusive owner. The poor thing would flinch every time he saw movement. I should have named him Roberson. I don't blame the beagle for his behavior, I blame the abusive owner.

we dont know their relationship. we dont know just exactly the dynamic. for all we know, roberson is so dang unresponsive to JB's requests in practice and makes the same errors over and over again, that it manifests in public, but it was brewed in private.

we dont know their relationship. we dont know just exactly the dynamic. for all we know, roberson is so dang unresponsive to JB's requests in practice and makes the same errors over and over again, that it manifests in public, but it was brewed in private.

I can't blame Jb for being frustrated, the talent is there, and he just hasn't reached what he is capable of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom