JB calling into Axe about recruiting now | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

JB calling into Axe about recruiting now

Legit question, piggybacking off the second part, whom do you think will be the PG on our roster to flip that script this year?
this year? guess we hope that FH somehow transforms himself or Geno is the realdeal or HW is an Ennis-esque phenom, or... in other words, prolly not this year

I mean it's so bleeping frustrating dealing with people who can't take opinions that they don't like.
It's emotional and freaking kills me. Different opinions should be encouraged to get true debate. Instead thinking the offense is okay just because last year we shot ridlicously well at home is bananas.

The offense has not been good.

AW saved our arse. When he didn't make late shot clock shots and other contested 3's we really were up against it. Gillon occasionally played that role too. Every team has some good fortune but good teams don't rely on it so often. White is a skilled shooter, so credit to him too. Our offensive shortcomings were masked.

AW saved our arse. When he didn't make late shot clock shots and other contested 3's we really were up against it. Gillon occasionally played that role too. Every team has some good fortune but good teams don't rely on it so often. White is a skilled shooter, so credit to him too. Our offensive shortcomings were masked.
Why is it so hard for this to be understood.
If we don't run andwe have stopped running we don't get easy offense.

We have the ball screen for the PG, the curl for the SG and 1 -4 set that is our offense. Along with ISO jump shots.

One of the things that I think you guys are overlooking regarding our offense is that, in the past, we had a lot better transition team and didn't have to rely on the half-court game so much. Maybe the staff should concentrate on teaching our players how to box out on defensive rebounds so they can initiate the break like we used to be able to. Too many teams were getting too many second chances against us last year.

you didn't watch Wiscy enough, then - because in several games, esp later in the year, their O made ours look like the Warriors

There were times they struggled for sure. I saw them a bunch actually. Koenig and their other guard went through a stretch when they literally could not buy an outside shot. Teams would collapse on Happ/Hayes and give those guys open shots. They also had some effort issues at times which was atypical of UW mentality.

No question PG probably is the number one reason we struggle. PGs who stand around, don't/can't drive, and turn it over are a death sentence. Of course having nobody who could score inside is problematic and there are poor fundamentals displayed all over the place with a pedestrian scheme installed which is easy for a good defensive team to completely shut down. But, yes, PG is the big problem. But, back to the debate. The offense was not "fine" as the one poster proclaimed.

Last edited:
One of the things that I think you guys are overlooking regarding our offense is that, in the past, we had a lot better transition team and didn't have to rely on the half-court game so much. Maybe the staff should concentrate on teaching our players how to box out on defensive rebounds so they can initiate the break like we used to be able to. Too many teams were getting too many second chances against us last year.
We have stopped running since MCW left in 2013.

2014-2017 we haven't run transition offense at all.

They don't box out. They go get the ball.

It's beyond obvious last year our defense was the problem.

However last year was an outlier the zone has been done a great job making Syracuse an elite defensive team with proper personnel.

However people can't be serious if they think our offensive system has been good. I am still convinced if we had a slightly above average offense we win the 2013 NC. That 2013 defense was the best we ever had.

Oh no question re:2013. That was an EXCELLENT defensive performance against IU and most of the season and tourney. That IU game was crazy though. IU had 19 or 20 turnovers and Syracuse had like 10 blocked shots!! Syracuse had 57 points with less than 2 minutes to go before the free throw/foul fest started. All those IU turnovers and SU blocked shots. That sort of blew my mind while I was revisiting that game online yesterday. A decent offense drops 75+ on them.

Last edited:
That's not feeding the post, though.

That's driving and dishing.

If it results in the big man getting a lay-up, in my book it's just as effective as a 15 foot entry pass.

We have stopped running since MCW left in 2013.

2014-2017 we haven't run transition offense at all.

Shame because guys like Brissett, Moyer and Sidibe will run the floor very well. Battle too obviously.

There were times they struggled for sure. I saw them a bunch actually. Koenig and their other guard went through a stretch when they literally could not buy an outside shot. Teams would collapse on Happ/Hayes and give those guys open shots. They also had some effort issues at times which was atypical of UW mentality.

No question PG probably is the number one reason we struggle. PGs who stand around, don't/can't drive, and turn it over are a death sentence. Of course having nobody who could score inside is problematic and there are poor fundamentals displayed all over the place with a pedestrian scheme installed which is easy for a good defensive team to completely shut down. But, yes, PG is the big problem. But, back to the debate. The offense was not "fine" as the one poster proclaimed.
agreed-
also w Wisc's O struggles: no guard who could consistently create, ball would often stick in Nigel's hands, Happ seemed to really wear down latter part of season.
would say our O was fine last year - again due to AW's shooting or other reasons and despite shaky PG play

agreed-
also w Wisc's O struggles: no guard who could consistently create, ball would often stick in Nigel's hands, Happ seemed to really wear down latter part of season.
would say our O was fine last year - again due to AW's shooting or other reasons and despite shaky PG play

Meh, will mostly agree. ;) I gotta poll some experts like Bilas/Fraschilla on this. Another KenPom heresy is UVA being number 2 in AdjD. Please. UNC-Wilmington jumped on them early and nearly pulled off a W. Took a furious UVA rally. Then Florida embarassed UVA next game.

Great post. Interesting read. Even if we don't have those knockdown shooters and Brissett does impress; are you confident enough in the offensive scheme? Too many times (even late in the season) all we heard from Bilas/Fraschilla/Lappas in games was how there was too much standing around. Granted the defense was the main problem last year but most of the offense last year was catch and shoot off of one pass. White made a TON of contested 'bad' shots and the team could shoot. Amazing shooting by White, actually. But they mainly launched without conscience and without moving the defense much, IMO. I'm just worried that without those shooters the construction of the offense will be too pedestrian and too easy to defend. Thoughts?
Lappas

Agreed, I dont think a lot of people appreciate how ridiculously good White shot the ball last year. Best shooting season ever by a cuse guard? Could have been. And still a team that didn't dance.

Great point. I expect to be an improved rebounding team, despite the zone being tough to rebound out of.
I hope you're right, but I don't see it. Interior defense and rebounding scare the heck out of me this year unless Chikwu takes a giant step forward.

I hope you're right, but I don't see it. Interior defense and rebounding scare the heck out of me this year unless Chikwu takes a giant step forward.
up top should be improved, tho - no?

Ha, this is hysterical. I just skimmed through the thread and actually deleted my post before I read yours. I've actually argued and posted that I was concerned our rebounding could be worse this year. I've been kind of doing a lot of off the cuff posts and that one was one of them. I am not counting on Chukwu. Sidibe is better. I think our forwards should be fine but we are such a thin team. Our forwards are athletic but can be pushed around. Sidibe is a good defender. Moyer wasn't in high school. No clue on Brissett but have never thought it would be a strength for him.

Battle was a tremendous rebounder in high school (defender too). I'm hoping he will be more of a rebounder now that he's comfortable out there. We will have much more size with our guards. No excuse for our guards not to help out, considering we don't run.

Defensively definitely. I am hugely bullish on Battle this season. Thorpe gives us size and versatility...and Frank is actually a better defender than given credit for. His mistakes last year were driven by a lack of confidence / concentration, but he has tbe skills. Gillon and White had issues. Gillon too small, white, no lateral movement.

Ha, this is hysterical. I just skimmed through the thread and actually deleted my post before I read yours. I've actually argued and posted that I was concerned our rebounding could be worse this year. I've been kind of doing a lot of off the cuff posts and that one was one of them. I am not counting on Chukwu. Sidibe is better. I think our forwards should be fine but we are such a thin team. Our forwards are athletic but can be pushed around. Sidibe is a good defender. Moyer wasn't in high school. No clue on Brissett but have never thought it would be a strength for him.

Thin as in 180 lbs. yep. PC looked so lost last year from a positioning standpoint it's scary. Sidibe is raw and Brisett is a Jerami clone. Wouldn't expect much his first year rebounding.

JBs plan is to play Moyer at the 3-4...he can help...but...it's just scary

Thin as in 180 lbs. yep. PC looked so lost last year from a positioning standpoint it's scary. Sidibe is raw and Brisett is a Jerami clone. Wouldn't expect much his first year rebounding.

Not one word about TT. Is he still in the land of the living?

Sidibe is very raw but the talent and the motor is there. He's also very coachable and smart. As I've said, he needs to do some leg presses.

Accident. He's so bad defensively that he actually never popped in my head. He has to be better...even if just by default.

Is he even on campus yet? Last time I checked on that he was AWOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom