JB has changed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Boy this thing that I'm amazing at is not fun any more and i'd rather go sit around and do what exactly"

Relaxing Jon Glaser GIF by truTV

I sometimes wonder, does Wildhack really have the power to do this?

Or does he need approval from President and BOT? Can the BOT call an emergency meeting to address exit strategy? Anyone in the know?

Logically thinking he cannot just dial up Kent and couple of board members and tell them that between lunch and dinner that he sacked the hoops coach.

JB is as embedded in everything SU maybe more than any other human at any other school ever. Good luck with that.

SU basketball has been his whole life - he's incorporated his family into it more than any coach maybe ever. He doesn't know anything else, what else has he ever tried. It's like seeing that pasqualoni was still coaching this year. It's incredible and a little sad in a way but not that sad. I just can't imagine being that dedicated to any pursuit. It's going to require it getting so bad for him to say, "Boy this thing that I'm amazing at is not fun any more and i'd rather go sit around and do what exactly"
It is actually a beautiful thing that so few get to experience. The sad part is that it will eventually end and at that point it will be up to Jim to pursue new endeavors which I'm sure that he will. Two more years according to Bees and Jim will be starting his new life.

I’ve said time and time again that he should have left after the 2016 F4. He never should have been allowed to stay after the second probation. It was a perfect time to leave. Everyone involved blew it.
Said this before, but when we took that 2016 team to the final four the consensus from everyone from fans to the athletic department higher ups was that it was a sign he should stick around, not leave. I highly doubt there were any "retire JB" threads going around here after the final four loss. That was two years removed from a 25-0 start and three years removed from another final 4. How do you tell a guy who just got to the final four his time is up? Was anyone really predicting then just how terrible it would be now?

At a minimum, he’s finishing the season.
But, and here’s the BIG BIG but…win or lose, this HAS to be his last rodeo. We’re approaching life-support status as a program. A “face-plant” season = O.U.T. or it’s torches and pitchforks on the Quad! JMHO

Logically thinking he cannot just dial up Kent and couple of board members and tell them that between lunch and dinner that he sacked the hoops coach.

JB is as embedded in everything SU maybe more than any other human at any other school ever. Good luck with that.
Right and that goes along with my gut feeling that he's closer to powerless in this situation and is just a figurehead position title.

Said this before, but when we took that 2016 team to the final four the consensus from everyone from fans to the athletic department higher ups was that it was a sign he should stick around, not leave. I highly doubt there were any "retire JB" threads going around here after the final four loss. That was two years removed from a 25-0 start and three years removed from another final 4. How do you tell a guy who just got to the final four his time is up? Was anyone really predicting then just how terrible it would be now?
He had just incurred his SECOND major probation. That's why, and how.

How bad does the record have to be for JB to tap out? 10-21? 7-24? Or is he immune to that kind of reality too?

As far as being laid back on the court or the presser JB has never been one to wear his emotions on his sleeves, he is not a hair pulling Rollie Massimino or a vein popping Buzz Williams, his most aggressive outburst during a presser was grappling with a mike.

I said before I hope this doesn't turn into a Bobby Bowden 2.0 but this is worse as we don't have a Jimbo Fisher standing by.

It’s becoming extremely apparent Wildhack is weak and incapable of forcing JB out. The future of Syracuse athletics does not look good.
Unfortunately, JW’s job is run a profitable athletics department and attract donations, he’s doing that in spades, and until that changes I don’t think the BOT will make a change, even with all the losing.

There’s no way he would do it without conversations and approval from person(s) above him. That’s how firings go at the highest levels, even if someone may have the power to do so on paper.

I actually think the administration and BOT need to be having conversations about Wildhack’s performance.
I'm sure they have had that conversation. And the question was probably how much of a raise to give him. He raised how much money for the school?

I sometimes wonder, does Wildhack really have the power to do this?

Or does he need approval from President and BOT? Can the BOT call an emergency meeting to address exit strategy? Anyone in the know?

I suspect JB's friendship with the BOT would carry the day still. Between them and his BFF, I think he is untouchable. I hinted at in another thread, but here's the difference between JB and Crum: Crum wasn't best friends with a guy so powerful he was able to summon the governor of Florida to his new apartment like a lapdog to have a chat when he bought a place there.

Two more years according to Bees and Jim will be starting his new life.
If this is another losing season, you have to think that timeline changes because the revenue hit from declining ticket sales will be too much to ignore. At some point the money talks.

Empty seats during basketball will effect the bottom line. I didn’t make the two hour trip because I had no doubt that Colgate would beat us. This team has very little potential for offense success. If they can’t defend, which they showed last night they can’t, they won’t win many games. They have several more losses on the schedule before the ACC season starts. St. John’s, Bryant, Illinois, and ND are sure fire losses. Richmond is going to be a struggle too. This team will struggle to find 15 wins this season. Recruiting has fallen off a cliff. We’re not even competing for top level talent. Sounds pretty much like the football program.

If this is another losing season, you have to think that timeline changes because the revenue hit from declining ticket sales will be too much to ignore. At some point the money talks.

I don't think his allies care about what the masses think, and they probably donate more to the school than people spend on tickets.

As far as being laid back on the court or the presser JB has never been one to wear his emotions on his sleeves, he is not a hair pulling Rollie Massimino or a vein popping Buzz Williams, his most aggressive outburst during a presser was grappling with a mike.

I said before I hope this doesn't turn into a Bobby Bowden 2.0 but this is worse as we don't have a Jimbo Fisher standing by.
thank God Jimbo is the most over rated coach in college football he sucks

I suspect JB's friendship with the BOT would carry the day still. Between them and his BFF, I think he is untouchable. I hinted at in another thread, but here's the difference between JB and Crum: Crum wasn't best friends with a guy so powerful he was able to summon the governor of Florida to his new apartment like a lapdog to have a chat when he bought a place there.

I just would like to know this: In the current state - if you independently asked JB, Kent, JW, Red, GMac and let's say maybe a BOT member or two, would you get the same answer as to what the "ironclad" plan is?

I'm genuinely asking.

Because, to me, it seems like JB is planning to go out on his own term, regardless of any plan.

I just would like to know this: In the current state - if you independently asked JB, Kent, JW, Red, GMac and let's say maybe a BOT member or two, would you get the same answer as to what the "ironclad" plan is?

I'm genuinely asking.

Because, to me, it seems like JB is planning to go out on his own term, regardless of any plan.
No chance.

And becoming elderly tends to amplify prominent personality attributes.

JB has always been inflexible, insecure, a little socially awkward, and hard on the players. All of those characteristics are magnified to the Nth degree now.
Agree 1000%

I'm genuinely asking.

That's because there never was a plan in place, let alone an "ironclad" one. Every time JB approaches the finish line, he changes his mind and won't step away.

Any regard he had for his subordinate AC's professional best interests has repeatedly taken a back seat to his own self-interests. He's never had any intention of stepping away. He "accepted" the original succession plan because he was in a position of relative weakness after the second set of NCAA sanctions got handed down -- and also because it was downstream by a few years. That bought him time, and he blew it up at the first opportunity, which adversely impacted his right hand man, Mike Hopkins.

I know for a FACT that the AD office was completely caught off-guard when JB mentioned that a plan was in place last season, because no such agreement had been discussed.

And becoming elderly tends to amplify prominent personality attributes.

JB has always been inflexible, insecure, a little socially awkward, and hard on the players. All of those characteristics are magnified to the Nth degree now.

The other thing is that when you are winning and winning consistently, those negatives are spun as positivies - eg: hard on the players = tough love, inflexible = confident leader, insecure = speaks the truth.

That's because there never was a plan in place, let alone an "ironclad" one. Every time JB approaches the finish line, he changes his mind and won't step away.

Any regard he had for his subordinate AC's professional best interests has repeatedly taken a back seat to his own self-interests. He's never had any intention of stepping away. He "accepted" the original succession plan because he was in a position of relative weakness after the second set of NCAA sanctions got handed down -- and also because it was downstream by a few years. That bought him time, and he blew it up at the first opportunity, which adversely impacted his right hand man, Mike Hopkins.

I know for a FACT that the AD office was completely caught off-guard when JB mentioned that a plan was in place last season, because no such agreement had been discussed.

Your last line is insanely troubling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors