JB has changed | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
SU basketball has been his whole life - he's incorporated his family into it more than any coach maybe ever. He doesn't know anything else, what else has he ever tried. It's like seeing that pasqualoni was still coaching this year. It's incredible and a little sad in a way but not that sad. I just can't imagine being that dedicated to any pursuit. It's going to require it getting so bad for him to say, "Boy this thing that I'm amazing at is not fun any more and i'd rather go sit around and do what exactly"
He enjoys golf and is good at that too. That's a normal thing retirees do. He may enjoy basketball but he doesn't enjoy all aspects of coaching at a high level enough that he does them well anymore. There are ways to stay close to the game post coaching career. He can do analysis, participate in camps, and attend both college and pro games. Heck, he could watch his kids play. It's a dream for most parents to see their kids play pro ball. And then he can take naps and golf all he wants where ever he wants.

Last edited:
He enjoys golf and is good at that too. That's a normal thing retirees do. He ,ay enjoy basketball but he doesn't enjoy all aspect of coaching at a high level that he does them well anymore. There are ways to stay close to the game post coaching career. He can do analysis, participate in camps, and attend both college and pro games. Heck, he could watch his kids play. It's a dream for most parents to see their kids play pro ball. And then he can take naps and golf all he wants where ever he wants.
I think he would be a good analyst at ESPN or wherever, he is a funny dude when he isn't being surly, and he knows his stuff. I would be happy if he starts that career next fall

There also is the issue of players just not developing like they should. You have to wonder how much forwads and centers can improve when the three position coaches all played point guard in college. They can't possibly be getting ideal coaching on how to improve their games at these positions. It's just not realistic.

Who has ever thought that they have enough money? I'm sure you studied the wealth effect theory at SU. But okay fine. I'm sure retirement and a change in their lifestyles has its downside for her.
I've known plenty of people that decided they had enough money and retired when they could've kept working, and they weren't millionaires.

We all know JB has worked for the hometown discount for a long time. Him hanging around isn't about money.

I think he would be a good analyst at ESPN or wherever, he is a funny dude when he isn't being surly, and he knows his stuff. I would be happy if he starts that career next fall
Bob knight comes to mind. That didn’t end well. He needs to retire. Period. Go watch his kids play.

I do this for a living, believe it or not. I can list any number of coaches in the Division I ranks that I know for a fact are laughing at us and do not respect SU anymore as a threat.
Ok. List 5 then.
Laughing at SU is one thing and it’s not the same as “not respecting as a threat”.

Ok. List 5 then.
Laughing at SU is one thing and it’s not the same as “not respecting as a threat”.
Yeah, ok. I’m going to list the people I trust on a message board. Believe me or not, I wouldn’t make it up.

Yeah, ok. I’m going to list the people I trust on a message board. Believe me or not, I wouldn’t make it up.
Then send me a DM. I promise not to tell anyone and if I do I’ll tell them not to tell anyone.

He probably knows he should have left after last year. Likely doesn't have the fight left in him to attack the media.

Whatever at least now he won't pick the coach we need to target a big name who can recruit. Every good program in the ACC has a new coach so does Nova. We can land someone good.

That’s dumb.

I'm sure all those smart guys will be just great in the last years as coaches har har the great coach is now not great har har

I'm listening to his weekly show with Matt Park. A caller asked why we didn't have much energy, and Jim agreed we didn't and didn't really have an answer as to why. He just sounds so defeated.

I can assure you that there are many - in fact, a vast majority - in the college basketball ranks that think Syracuse University are idiots for not canning Boeheim.
I always found it odd why ped st had a 75 year old as HC for their football program. I feel the same regarding SU and a guy nearing 80

Well?! List them what are you afraid of?

I don't agree with this.

We got killed for canning Coach P back when, this would a magnitude of a lot more. JB's life is friends with that world.

The vast majority would likely assume it would end like Roy or K, not Denny Crum.
That was because there was an unequivocal “vote of confidence” prior to the bowl game. The the B of T demanded Gross go back on his public pronouncement.

That was because there was an unequivocal “vote of confidence” prior to the bowl game. The the B of T demanded Gross go back on his public pronouncement.

The "Vote of Confidence" was Buzz and Nancy.

Gross had only been on the job less than a week when we lost the bowl game.

Gross was hired Dec 17, the game was Dec 21.

He’s not defeated, he’s frustrated with their play and it comes through in his response. If you listen closely during his latest presser he mentions the fact that they did not do it that way in practice.

I don’t know what happens between practice and playing the game but it’s a lot and he gets tired of it. You’re there to play well like you did in practice when you went over and over plays, guarding, everything. Watching your players stand there in the game without challenging their 3 PT shooting has got to be frustrating as hell.

Being a friend of JB’s I get the fact that he knows so much about the game, coaching kids and then watching them fail has to be exasperating. At this point in his life, I think perhaps he’d be more satisfied coaching a good, professional team not teaching kids how to play.

He’s not defeated, he’s frustrated with their play and it comes through in his response. If you listen closely during his latest presser he mentions the fact that they did not do it that way in practice.

I don’t know what happens between practice and playing the game but it’s a lot and he gets tired of it. You’re there to play well like you did in practice when you went over and over plays, guarding, everything. Watching your players stand there in the game without challenging their 3 PT shooting has got to be frustrating as hell.

Being a friend of JB’s I get the fact that he knows so much about the game, coaching kids and then watching them fail has to be exasperating. At this point in his life, I think perhaps he’d be more satisfied coaching a good, professional team not teaching kids how to play.
I mean, that’s coaching. What you described is the profession. If doing the job that he’s been doing for nearly 50 years is frustrating and exasperating then maybe it’s time to stop doing it. Cuz the job ain’t changing.

The "Vote of Confidence" was Buzz and Nancy.

Gross had only been on the job less than a week when we lost the bowl game.

Gross was hired Dec 17, the game was Dec 21.
Thanks. I stand corrected on that bit (and now that you say it I can recall it happening that way) but the overarching point remains.
If they had said we will see the bowl game and our new AD will make that decision after that, SU would have been fine, or at least perceived in a better light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom