JB has spoken | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB has spoken

JB has a finger on the NBA pulse but I think he's off on this one. Sour grapes?

Gotta be sour grapes. He looks foolish doing this, frankly. Of course teams have an idea who they are going to take. The Fords and Givonys are just doing their jobs. It's not like they want to be wrong, duh. I don't see other coaches doing this publicly. It's a bad look, IMO.

Calamari and K don't have to worry about replacing their one and dones annually as they get several of those kids year in and year out, they literally do reload. We don't, not with that level of player. Moreover, our recent one and done's really weren't projected/foreseen to be those, whereas, with UK and Duke, they generally are. So, it affects JB and his program considerably more than the aforementioned. If JB was winning national championships and just reloading every year, he wouldn't give a , he would spin it & play the PR game himself.
Well, who's fault is that? Recruit better then.

Well, who's fault is that? Recruit better then.
I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic here. But in case you're not, I distinctly remember the mother of a Duke recruit getting a very nice job with the university that nothing in her job background indicated she was qualified for. Had JB tried that, the SU basketball program might have been shut down.

As for Pay Pal Cal...I'm not sure I need to go into details about his checkered past. But I was surprised, when I did a little research, that he only has one NCAA championship title.

That's why they have insurance policies for these guys.

or

Kid goes early. Is drafted low. Agents, taxes, his posse and ho's take most of the money. He ends up in the D league and Europe.

Kid still makes millions more than SU graduates with degrees in Child and Family Studies. People act like Donte Greene's professional career is terrible, which misses the bigger picture.

Boeheim and others need to realize that it's not about being a lottery pick, but landing in round 1 (or some even being drafted). You'd think some of these big-time coaches might use the early-entry numbers to push for NCAA reforms instead of complaining about media.

Alsacs said:
JB sounds like a fan on this board who is upset Richardson is leaving. JB has every right to stay whatever he wants but his comments are pure frustration directed at Chad Ford. It is clear JB doesn't like Ford and just wanted to hurl some choice words towards the guy.

No. It's clear he values telling the truth as he sees it to the kid and to the media. And there is value in that.

Cal is a used car salesman. I don't think JB's motivations are selfish at all.

Townie72 said:
That's why they have insurance policies for these guys. or Kid goes early. Is drafted low. Agents, taxes, his posse and ho's take most of the money. He ends up in the D league and Europe.

Or kid leaves early and makes the choices he wants and doesn't give a rats arse of what fans thought he should do.

So it's impossible that JB is offended by the whole pre-Draft media sham? And that he regrets having a massive amount of smoke blown up the tushes of 20 year olds? Especially when these guys have been so wrong in the past?

Who speaks for the viewpoint that these guys are hucksters? Who is going to call them out if not somebody like JB?

The media and sports talking heads are not going to say a word. They are complicit in this fan-pleasing fraud.

Then JB's beef should be either with the kids for listening to the wrong sources of information or with the NBA for not providing more reliable information to the kids. Actually JB's beef should be with the NCAA for not allowing the kids to enter the draft be drafted and return if they don't sign a contract. JB can have a beef with the media if he wants to, but it comes off as pretty petty in my view. It's like when he got angry at Donna for reporting that he had a poor recent record against Pitino. The media member's job is to entertain the people reading their papers, columns, blogs etc.

Briancuse said:
Your right, I am selfish, we are all selfish, anyone who has a sliver of a chance to get drafted in the first round should leave no matter what, even if that means they are a 2nd round pick, or undrafted, and they find themselves in the d-league.

They should do what they want to do because it's their lives. In that way, they are 100% always making the "right choice"...

You know, many people in this thread, or these threads, are bashing on fans for their opinions of Mali's draft position. But those critics are forgetting that we've seen this movie pretty much every year for the past decade or so. Elite talent comes, some leaves early. For some, it is a good decision; others fade away and a career ends too early. We have over-estimated the talent of our guys so many times in the last decade or two or three. I think if we compare Mali to other kids who have left early, his skills are less proven and he has been generally less proficient at his position as he could be. He's not fully cooked yet. He will get so much better, and it would be so much more fun for him playing at Syracuse on national TV than playing in relative anonymity in a NBDL team in Akron, or wherever in front of 2,000 people.

That is true from our perspective. But from Mali's maybe he thinks it will be so much more fun playing 80 games a year, practicing as much as he wants and getting paid to do so than playing 35 games, not having a source of his own money and having to attend classes, takes exams and complete papers etc.

I've come around to the fact that the decision isn't about could he go higher if he returned, could he be better or could he be more ready if he played another year of college ball. It really is about is he personally satisfied with where he is likely to be drafted, can he live with both today's upside and the downside, would he be satisfied with what the downside will get him today in terms of a contract and head start on his career vs. what returning might do for him in that regard.

Kid still makes millions more than SU graduates with degrees in Child and Family Studies. People act like Donte Greene's professional career is terrible, which misses the bigger picture.

Boeheim and others need to realize that it's not about being a lottery pick, but landing in round 1 (or some even being drafted). You'd think some of these big-time coaches might use the early-entry numbers to push for NCAA reforms instead of complaining about media.

Wish I could like this 10x!!

These comments are pointless. Boeheim comes off sounding like a fan.

I don't know about the fan comment. Unlike fans, JB has a personal relationship with the young man. His objections may grow out of that relationship and may be based more on his concern for Mali than on anything we can see from the outside.

People on the internets. LOL.

Seriously, that's what the speculation has been coming out the combine. I don't feel like actually linking the various tweets and articles.

A very prominent college coach who was at the combine told someone I know well that Malachi is expected to go right around #15. The coach heard that from very prominent NBA scouts and coaches.

It's peoples on the internets.

Or kid leaves early and makes the choices he wants and doesn't give a rats arse of what fans thought he should do.

Thinking it and saying it is not the same thing. Fans are important. He should have treated his fans better even if he thought they were being a holes.

Thinking it and saying it is not the same thing. Fans are important. He should have treated his fans better even if he thought they were being a holes.
??? You lost me here...:confused:

You know, many people in this thread, or these threads, are bashing on fans for their opinions of Mali's draft position. But those critics are forgetting that we've seen this movie pretty much every year for the past decade or so. Elite talent comes, some leaves early. For some, it is a good decision; others fade away and a career ends too early. We have over-estimated the talent of our guys so many times in the last decade or two or three. I think if we compare Mali to other kids who have left early, his skills are less proven and he has been generally less proficient at his position as he could be. He's not fully cooked yet. He will get so much better, and it would be so much more fun for him playing at Syracuse on national TV than playing in relative anonymity in a NBDL team in Akron, or wherever in front of 2,000 people.

People have assured me several times that the few minutes a player gets in a D-league game are just as valuable as the majority minutes and leadership position someone would have on a D1 CBB team. It seems like a opinion to me. But I imagine some of the data mining geeks would be able to crunch the actual data and make some provable assertions like how many D-league players become successful NBA players? How many D-league players get a second contract? Maybe the D-league games are very profitable and the D-league is not some giant black hole of destroying talent.

??? You lost me here...:confused:

Basically, Mal told the fans to off about his NBA decision on his twitter feed. The fans were being obnoxious without question. But you can never have enough fans in my opinion if your income depends on it.

His agent is pimping him as well - which of course is his job, since his comission is ultimately tied to the size of his contract.

They should do what they want to do because it's their lives. In that way, they are 100% always making the "right choice"...

Do you think Lydon made the "right choice" or do you think he's crazy for not cashing in and possible getting injured?

His agent is pimping him as well - which of course is his job, since his comission is ultimately tied to the size of his contract.

Is "pimping" him the right word choice. I would hope more like "promoting" him not just selling him.

JB sounds like a fan on this board who is upset Richardson is leaving. JB has every right to stay whatever he wants but his comments are pure frustration directed at Chad Ford.

It is clear JB doesn't like Ford and just wanted to hurl some choice words towards the guy.
I think you are wrong here. JB is for the players best interest. Ford is an obstacle in their path of making a good decision.

No. It's clear he values telling the truth as he sees it to the kid and to the media. And there is value in that.

Cal is a used car salesman. I don't think JB's motivations are selfish at all.
Do me favor stop feeling contractually obligated to respond to every bleeping post I do. I am not going to respond to you. I can't stand devil's advocate type posters analysis which you do a lot.

People have assured me several times that the few minutes a player gets in a D-league game are just as valuable as the majority minutes and leadership position someone would have on a D1 CBB team. It seems like a opinion to me. But I imagine some of the data mining geeks would be able to crunch the actual data and make some provable assertions like how many D-league players become successful NBA players? How many D-league players get a second contract? Maybe the D-league games are very profitable and the D-league is not some giant black hole of destroying talent.

Do you know what Ennis averaged in Bakersfield mpg wise ?

Your right, I am selfish, we are all selfish, anyone who has a sliver of a chance to get drafted in the first round should leave no matter what, even if that means they are a 2nd round pick, or undrafted, and they find themselves in the d-league.

I always like your posts so I don't have to say what you are saying. I can sit back and watch you get roasted. I was you when TE was leaving. But I do like your Orange passion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom