JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

I highly doubt that Sean Miller is going to leave Arizona if that's where he is right now which I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be but I like the guy from Providence!

I have to look up his name but they have had another great year when the Big East is probably the best it's been in a probably a good five years with the addition of Yukon, Creighton is supposed to be very good. Villanova just keeps on doing their thing and then you have Providence who is21 and something and they're 20th in the country
Hes at Xavier

If Boeheim is here for 10-20, what is the clear path?
It HAS to be a new coach next year, or there IS no path forward. Just continued decline.
Absolutely and if we are not careful because I keep hearing now that people are making a lot of noise on the football side about Clemson and Florida State talking about leaving and we could very easily be left behind because of what he is doing because we're not known for football and if we don't have basketball what the hell do we have not much to offer that's the answer

(For the love of me I can’t figure out why I am back, and posting again).

1st calls - Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan. I think that is a massive mistake if you don’t at least pick up the phone and call these 3 coaches. Worst case and most likely they say no. But you just don’t know until they say thank you, but no. And then you can go on with your search. But those three individuals need to be the first 3 phone calls you make. Again, I understand there is probably a less than 5% chance either would be intrigued. But gauging interest literally does nothing negative to Syracuse. They at least need to receive a phone call. Jay could be regretting his decision now that he had a year off. Brad wants to coach. I know that for a fact. He doesn’t just like being the president (this is not opinion). Billy Donovan very well could be fired after this year.

2nd calls- Oats and Beard. These 2 are a little more controversial. Oats just signed a contract extension and the issues this past week probably crosses him off the list. Beard charges were dropped and currently is a “free agent”. We don’t know what happened there. No one knows what happened except for him and his girlfriend. I think you still have to call and have a sit down with him. Discuss the situation and talk to him about his personal well being and outlook. Things happen, and as much as everyone wants to believe they know what happened, they do not.

3rd calls - Eric Musslaman. Guy has been incredible wherever he has gone. Turns teams around quickly and has very good success in March. I think Syracuse is a much better place than Arkansas. 202-71, only 2 seasons with double digit losses and both were in his first years at Utah state and Arkansas respectively. Just brought in the number 2 recruiting class to Arkansas. Made the elite 8 2 years in a row.

After those 3 calls, I think you then look around at the individuals with Syracuse connections such as Hart, Paulus, Red, Hopkins, Langley (same area). I don’t want a current assistant. My order of preference is Hart, Langley, Paulus, Hop, Red in that order. Hopkins has not been good. But he also left his recruiting connections and moved to the polar opposite coast.
Of everyone mentioned Brad Stevens would be an absolute home run. We could only hope he had some interest, and would be my first call. I doubt we could match his salary, but who knows he may have enough money and be sick of the executive stuff.

I would really like AD to seriously consider John Becker. Has been a proven winner. Runs a good clean program. Knows the coaches in the NEPSAC, knows the coaches on the East Coast. He has never finished a season lower than third in the conference. And that was 1 time in 11 seasons, every other year 1st or 2nd. This article is a few years old now but some decent names.
I’d love to see him get teams playing good hard nosed defense again

Of everyone mentioned Brad Stevens would be an absolute home run. We could only hope he had some interest, and would be my first call. I doubt we could match his salary, but who knows he may have enough money and be sick of the executive stuff.
Might as well make a call to Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. They’re both pipe dreams but you might as well shoot your shot. If you never inquire the answer is always no.

Absolutely and if we are not careful because I keep hearing now that people are making a lot of noise on the football side about Clemson and Florida State talking about leaving and we could very easily be left behind because of what he is doing because we're not known for football and if we don't have basketball what the hell do we have not much to offer that's the answer

A couple historical facts.

Syracuse has NEVER kept a basketball coach who had more than back-to-back losing seasons, and they've only done that twice in over a century.

Syracuse has never had a coach with a losing career record coaching SU hoops.

Syracuse has never taken more than 3 seasons to return to a winning record / participating in the post-season.

Two coaches aside from Boeheim have better than 70% career winning percentage at SU and coached more than ten years; one of them coached for more than 20 years.

Both won national championships, in an admittedly earlier era.

Two more have career coaching records of better than 60% wins, and have made the post season multiple times.

Next season projects to be about as bad as Syracuse has ever been, if Boeheim coaches again next year, and 6+ guys leave from this team, including the 3 seniors.

There will only have been a couple teams in Syracuse's 100+ year history that will have been as bad, and lost as many games as we are likely to lose next year.

A couple historical facts.

Syracuse has NEVER kept a basketball coach who had more than back-to-back losing seasons, and they've only done that twice in over a century.

Syracuse has never had a coach with a losing career record coaching SU hoops.

Syracuse has never taken more than 3 seasons to return to a winning record / participating in the post-season.

Two coaches aside from Boeheim have better than 70% career winning percentage at SU and coached more than ten years; one of them coached for more than 20 years.

Both won national championships, in an admittedly earlier era.

Two more have career coaching records of better than 60% wins, and have made the post season multiple times.

Next season projects to be about as bad as Syracuse has ever been, if Boeheim coaches again next year, and 6+ guys leave from this team, including the 3 seniors.

There will only have been a couple teams in Syracuse's 100+ year history that will have been as bad, and lost as many games as we are likely to lose next year.
We will know a lot about the (short term) future of Syracuse basketball within the next 30 days. Next year could be abysmal if JB stays and the roster is depleted. Could get exceptionally ugly if he’s trying to assemble a roster from picked over portal transfers. Like super 20+ loss season ugly ending in JB’s firing.

The long term future will likely take a while longer to figure out, but the only realistic option is for JB to retire within the next month (it could come this week, fwiw) and a new coach is brought in. Any coach will start with a complete roster rebuild. There’s probably 3-4 guys on the current roster they can use as a foundation, but there needs to be a major overhaul if Syracuse basketball expects to return to elite status.

I highly doubt that Sean Miller is going to leave Arizona if that's where he is right now which I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be but I like the guy from Providence!

I have to look up his name but they have had another great year when the Big East is probably the best it's been in a probably a good five years with the addition of Yukon, Creighton is supposed to be very good. Villanova just keeps on doing their thing and then you have Providence who is21 and something and they're 20th in the country
Miller doesn’t coach Arizona

Ive been digging deep on coaches that i actually think would take the SU job and i keep coming back to the same coach.
Its Langel from Colgate.
I think that he checks every possible box and its not even close. Again im talking reality. Coaches SU can land.
Here are some highlights.
1: He was a heck of a player. Really good
2: Hes extremely intelligent. Wharton grad.
3: Made his bones under Fran at Temple who was a heck of a coach.
4: Great recruiting connections in our best and most important recruiting areas.
5: Amazing actually spectacular success at Gate
6: By all accounts loves the area and would most likely stay for a very long time. SU would his destination job.
7: Class act .
If im JW hes my guy.

Ive been digging deep on coaches that i actually think would take the SU job and i keep coming back to the same coach.
Its Langel from Colgate.
I think that he checks every possible box and its not even close. Again im talking reality. Coaches SU can land.
Here are some highlights.
1: He was a heck of a player. Really good
2: Hes extremely intelligent. Wharton grad.
3: Made his bones under Fran at Temple who was a heck of a coach.
4: Great recruiting connections in our best and most important recruiting areas.
5: Amazing actually spectacular success at Gate
6: By all accounts loves the area and would most likely stay for a very long time. SU would his destination job.
7: Class act .
If im JW hes my guy.
I’m kind of sold on him too

Might as well make a call to Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. They’re both pipe dreams but you might as well shoot your shot. If you never inquire the answer is always no.
We should all hope this is the route because if rumors are true that su is trying to push out weitsman then we are going to need a big hire coach to get big recruits back. Clearly 1 million won’t even get us a 5 star recruit Anymore. The bottom hasn’t dropped yet!

I’m hearing a lot of talk of Pitino going to Georgetown. I’m serious .

Dear lord
I like how all these Catholic schools, with their doctrine, mission and morality, such as Iona and Gtown (rumors of course), can forgive all his transgressions but high and mighty and self-righteous SYR media types and fans want no part of Pitino. Who are we to point fingers? If we can get him and he wants to come here, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I’m kind of sold on him too
I have friends at Gate and they think the world of him. Said he runs a great program, kids really respect him.
SU has a history of stability and i want someone who wants to be here for ever. Im glad we missed out on Oats as i dont consider him a quality person. Shaka, Miller, and yes Rick are all flawed.
Billy D, Cooley, ect are not coming here.
I truly think the absolute best coach is just a stones throw down the road.

I like how all these Catholic schools, Iona and Gtown (rumors of course), can forgive all his trangressions but high and mighty and righteous SYR media types and fans want no part of Pitino. Who are we to point fingers? If we can get him and he wants to come here, I'm all for it.
100% he’s a winner and we would be lucky to get him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom