JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

Pitino
Hop
Langel
Hart
Red
G
In this order

The one name I haven’t seen mentioned that I think is somewhat feasible:

Steve Pikell

He won big at Stony Brook. Usually winning at that level comes down to player development and game planning because the level of talent is flatter.

He is winning more than anyone should at Rutgers with a mix of overlooked recruits and occasional studs.

To be fair, dude is losing guys every year and still competitive, while coaching in probably the worst place to recruit in the country for a team that has no history, no facilities, and really no reason for anyone to go there. I go to a bunch of games there, you can see what he’s trying to do, his players play for him, just don’t have the talent. I think he’d do very well at a higher level job.

That said, I want a national search, if paulus was out next coach I wouldn’t hate it, would rather have that than Gmac.

Wow, you are really shooting low for who we can attract as our next coach.
Either of those guys is a death sentence for the program.
Greg Robinson type of hires; way, way over their heads before they even begin.

You have to do them all very well.

None of them will even take the call. Zero chance. Oats, Beard and Musselman are all non starters.

Oats might not be in Alabama as long as you think.

Greg Paulus has no shot at this point. That’s laughable. Let’s see what he can do at a bigger program first.

Let's see him win 20 games somewhere - anywhere - before you put him in as the head coach of an ACC team with the biggest arena in America.

More than nothing...played in the ACC for K, apprenticed at numerous programs (Thad Motta, Chris Mack), knows the landscape, went to Cuse, seems to be doing an ok job with not a lot to work with.

There's usually a candidate in these things that knocks it out of the park in the interview process. He might be that guy. Or, he might flop.

I would be ok with him being on the staff, but "hell no" to him as a head coach.
I mean, that's really thinking very little of our program, if you don't think we could do 100 times better than Paulus or McNamara or Autry.

This is weird to me because outside of being a nice guy I'm not sure what else Dino is adding to football program excitement. His game management drives me nuts.

If you cant see what Dino has done for Cuse football, you certainly arent qualified to give a reasoned opinion on the next bball coach.

Wow, you are really shooting low for who we can attract as our next coach.
Either of those guys is a death sentence for the program.
Greg Robinson type of hires; way, way over their heads before they even begin.
I’m not shooting low, just not sure this is the job we think it is. Look at Louisville and their hire.

If Red gets the job, Griff isn’t going anywhere. They’re close friends. Griff is a good recruiter hamstrung by JB. He’s also coached on a staff, Dayton, that played all man to man (pack line) and undoubtedly knows how to teach it.

So, if Griff is such a great recruiter, who did he bring to Dayton to get us excited?

In his 6 years on the Dayton staff, they got 3 guys who were borderline 4 stars, ranked between 113 and 130, according to 24/7.

And they got 4 more guys who were 3 stars, with the highest ranked in the 130s, one of the others ranked in the 170s and the other 2 were in the mid-200s nationally.

Sorry, but nope. And it wasn't like he was the only guy on Archie Miller's staff. He's not responsible for them getting all 7 of those guys.

I’m not shooting low, just not sure this is the job we think it is. Look at Louisville and their hire.

The Dome.
The ACC.
A winning program will draw the most fans in the country.
Fans all up and down the East Coast.
Great merchandise sales for a private school.
Makes about the most money of any college basketball program, or certainly Top 5.

So, if Griff is such a great recruiter, who did he bring to Dayton to get us excited?

In his 6 years on the Dayton staff, they got 3 guys who were borderline 4 stars, ranked between 113 and 130, according to 24/7.

And they got 4 more guys who were 3 stars, with the highest ranked in the 130s, one of the others ranked in the 170s and the other 2 were in the mid-200s nationally.

Sorry, but nope. And it wasn't like he was the only guy on Archie Miller's staff. He's not responsible for them getting all 7 of those guys.
Well, he did get Bazley…..

Damn New Balance.

The one name I haven’t seen mentioned that I think is somewhat feasible:

Steve Pikell

He won big at Stony Brook. Usually winning at that level comes down to player development and game planning because the level of talent is flatter.

He is winning more than anyone should at Rutgers with a mix of overlooked recruits and occasional studs.
Sorry, no UCONN guys.

Let Rick Pitino take over for a few years before he retires. Gmac and Red can get more experience if they are willing to stay, then hand one of them the keys. If they leave, then do a nationwide search in 4-5.

I would be ok with him being on the staff, but "hell no" to him as a head coach.
I mean, that's really thinking very little of our program, if you don't think we could do 100 times better than Paulus or McNamara or Autry.

College basketball hires aren't what they used to be.

I'd be surprised if whoever it is didn't have some roots at SU or at least competed against SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom