JB on CBS this morning | Syracusefan.com

JB on CBS this morning

Best network morning news show. Wonder if Duke alum Charlie Rose will handle this one.

Once they figured out how to pronounce his name... after two false starts ... it was a fun, upbeat segment.

When asked about "the situation" at UNC, he volunteered that SU was also dealing with an NCAA investigation (which he obviously did not have to do)

Also, when asked about "teaching," he said he once had a player who "couldn't catch the ball" and had to be taught. The legend of Baye lives!

All in all, a funny upbeat interview with some interviewers who were reading scripted questions... and didn't know a thing about college basketball or SU basketball

But, hey, it's morning television... where news readers are picked for their appearance and their "Q" ratings.

Last edited:
Good segment, all three anchors, particularly Gayle King, were into it.

Boeheim's great on the telly, so open, fresh, engaging, so much preferable to the bored bully he sometimes plays at local post-game pressers (and, although at times he makes me cringe, I understand, I was a sportswriter many moons ago, covered NBA, NFL and big-time college hoops and football, and I'd be as ornery, if not worse, if I had to hear the same blah blah blah ad nauseum). Jimmy has a great future in broadcasting. Sounds like he could use some honey and tea, though, the book hype and pre-season preparation may be taking a toll on his voice.

Once they figured out how to pronounce his name... after two false starts ... it was a fun, upbeat segment.

When asked about "the situation" at UNC, he volunteered that SU was also dealing with an NCAA investigation (which he obviously did not have to do)

Also, when asked about "teaching," he said he once had a player who "couldn't catch the ball" and had to be taught. The legend of Baye lives!

All in all, a funny upbeat interview with some interviewers who were reading scripted questions... and didn't know a thing about college basketball or SU basketball

But, hey, it's morning television... where news readers are picked for their appearance and their "Q" ratings.

Readers, no doubt, that's TV, but this crew's mensa material compared to the giggling gaggles on GMA and Today. Charlie, et al., know Boeheim and 'Cuse hoops well. Charlie Rose is a hoops fan and Duke grad, was at the Duke-'Cuse game this past season when Jimmy tried to go Hulk with his sports jacket (suit coat?), had Jimmy on his PBS show in April and other shows going back to at least '96. Norah O'Donnell went to Georgetown and has let her affection for her Hoyas be known (Boeheim had a little aside to her about Georgetown and 'Cuse).

Best bumper music in morning TV, too, definitely targeting an older (more-educated?) demo, kudos to whoever picked this as an intro to the Boeheim segment.

Last edited:
Good segment, all three anchors, particularly Gayle King, were into it.

Boeheim's great on the telly, so open, fresh, engaging, so much preferable to the bored bully he sometimes plays at local post-game pressers (and, although at times he makes me cringe, I understand, I was a sportswriter many moons ago, covered NBA, NFL and big-time college hoops and football, and I'd be as ornery, if not worse, if I had to hear the same blah blah blah ad nauseum). Jimmy has a great future in broadcasting. Sounds like he could use some honey and tea, though, the book hype and pre-season preparation may be taking a toll on his voice.
He's definitely a different guy with the national media folks (save for a select few). And he certainly would make a great listen if he chooses to get into broadcasting once he is through coaching.

Readers, no doubt, that's TV, but this crew's mensa material compared to the giggling gaggles on GMA and Today. Charlie, et al., know Boeheim and 'Cuse hoops well. Charlie Rose is a hoops fan and Duke grad, was at the Duke-'Cuse game this past season when Jimmy tried to go Hulk with his sports jacket (suit coat?), had Jimmy on his PBS show in April and other shows going back to at least '96. Norah O'Donnell went to Georgetown and has let her affection for her Hoyas be known (Boeheim had a little aside to her about Georgetown and 'Cuse).

Best bumper music in morning TV, too, definitely targeting an older (more-educated?) demo, kudos to whoever picked this as an intro to the Boeheim segment.

I've said it for a long time: JB is very quirky and awkward at times, but he can also be extremely funny. He is at his best in small dose segments like this, where his humor stands out and the awkwardness is minimized.

I've said it for a long time: JB is very quirky and awkward at times, but he can also be extremely funny. He is at his best in small dose segments like this, where his humor stands out and the awkwardness is minimized.
For folks that are clever enough to understand his humor, he is a riot.

He seemed to really minimize the Syracuse/NCAA inquiry as well, by explaining it was stuff with tutoring...which is more information that is given when this subject was brought up before. Hopefully thats it.

As I recall Mookie Watkins also couldn't catch the ball either.

You mean there is still hope for me and playing college basketball? I can't catch the ball AND I can't get it in the basket either.

Great segment. I also like that he mentioned our NCAA issues when asked about North Carolina. Obviously the anchors did not do their research as they would have known we had similar problems, and that questions may have been asked differently. That was my first thought when they asked about N. Carolina.

Also after totally butchering his name (never heard it as bay ham before) Gayle said she had practiced. Uh I would not have admitted that after butchering it so bad. Practice did not make perfect in her case.

. . . the bored bully he sometimes plays at local post-game pressers . . .
He's definitely a different guy with the national media folks . . .
I think this narrative has become board myth. It's been said so many times that people here accept it as truth. I've always found JB to be an equal opportunity kind of guy. If you piss him off, he'll let you know, and he doesn't really care who you are or who you work for. Katz is a recent example, as is that steroid abuser guy at CBS who asked him about retiring two minutes after the Ohio State loss in the NCAA's. Hell, James Brown is still butt hurt from his '87 Championship post game interview. It might seem like the locals bear the brunt of his ire, but I think they just piss him off more because they're around him more.

Great segment. I also like that he mentioned our NCAA issues when asked about North Carolina. Obviously the anchors did not do their research as they would have known we had similar problems, and that questions may have been asked differently. That was my first thought when they asked about N. Carolina.QUOTE]

It makes you realize that the average person who isn't a big college sports fan has no idea what goes on with the NCAA, academics, recruiting and the like. Only a huge possible fake class thing at UNC gets on their radar.

Your description reminded me of reports covering sports on NPR - some are good but often times you can tell the person has no idea about what they are covering...What were the pronunciations? My guess is Boheim (with a long o) or Beeheim? Was I close?

has he learned yet?

Your description reminded me of reports covering sports on NPR - some are good but often times you can tell the person has no idea about what they are covering...What were the pronunciations? My guess is Boheim (with a long o) or Beeheim? Was I close?
There was a BOH- heeeme, and BOH-hime. They were even mispronouncing it earlier on the show when they were promoting the segment. One would think someone would have caught it then... and told them how to pronounce it. Altogether, it must have been mis-pronounced four different ways

There was a BOH- heeeme, and BOH-hime. They were even mispronouncing it earlier on the show when they were promoting the segment. One would think someone would have caught it then... and told them how to pronounce it. Altogether, it must have been mis-pronounced four different ways
And we were frustrated when they couldn't get Trevor Cooney's name right...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom