JB on Colin Cowherd's show | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Colin Cowherd's show

Lebron is a great player and athlete. The athleticism helps, of course, but he has greatly improved his jump shot. The dude shot 41% from three this year. He's an unbelievable passer. He's lethal out of the post now.

When the athleticism starts to go then he will play more at the 4 and will slice people up with his passing out of the post.

Durant's athleticism helps him too, don't fool yourself.

Yeah, Durant's altheticism helps a little I suppose:) Let's also not forget that Lebron is an incredible defender. Magic could play all 5 positions offensively, but could not do what Lebron does on defense. Lebron is in my top 10 and after he gets this title probably my top 5. Looking way ahead, if he were to win 5 championships in a row (including last year's) he may surpass Jordan as best ever. But who knows if this will happen.

This could be said of many transcendent athletes -- their size, speed and strength far surpasses that of others in their sport (or at their position).

By your logic, it seems we should also discount the accomplishments of players like Wilt Chamberlain, Jim Brown and Lawrence Taylor. Ridiculous.

Comparing apples to Oranges.
LeBron hasn't won ANYTHING yet. One title? Come on. Big whoop. A host of other players have won one, or two. Get back to me when he wins 5.

And as Charles Barkley said on Monday, MVPs don't play like LeBron did in game 1.

James is a once a lifetime player. I rank him #1, Wilt #2, Russell #3, Jordan#4, Magic #5. In reality they are microbes away from each other. I rate players high on "transformative" hence Wilt #2 with only 2 titles and 50% foul shooting. Almost put Dr. J up there because of that. James is not necessarily transformative but he does more "holy did you see that??!??" than anyone ever.

The fact that you put Jordan #4 is almost more absurd than the fact that you don't have him #6.

Michael Jeffery Jordan was the best, and will always be the best basketball player of ALL TIME.

LeBron hasn't won ANYTHING yet. One title? Come on. Big whoop. A host of other players have won one, or two. Get back to me when he wins 5.

And as Charles Barkley said on Monday, MVPs don't play like LeBron did in game 1.
You and Barkley would do well to let the series (and LeBron's season and career) play out before proclaiming to know his place in history.

You and Barkley would do well to let the series (and LeBron's season and career) play out before proclaiming to know his place in history.

As would you and anyone else who slurps over LeBron when he's only won ONE FREAKING TITLE!

Again, get back to me when he Three-Peats twice, or even once, or wins 3 titles at all.

Rings are definitely more important in b'ball than any other sport but as pointed out Lebron isn't done. I wonder what O/U Vegas would set on rings when he retires. I would guess 3.5 at least (this year is a foregone conclusion imo).

With Marino btw it's fairly common knowledge (I thought) that he was a pr!ck who didn't want a running game & that's why he clashed with Jimmy Johnson so much. And his defense wasn't always bad - that point has taken on mythical proportions.
[/tangent]

Overreaction in the heat of the moment.
Do you remember how Jordan played in Game 1 vs the Lakers? Or in those Game 3 losses to the Knicks/Pacers? I don't. Maybe someone will look it up & find that he played well in all of them, but nobody cares about individual losses in a postseason where you win the whole thing. Just like nobody will care how Lebron played in Game 1 after they win this series in 6 and cruise to another title.

Jordan numbers
Except for 3pt shooting Jordan had a 5 year stretch as good or better than Lebron's year. Including 88-89 where he averaged 32.5 on 53.8% fg with 8ast/gm and 8reb/gm and 2.9 steals/gm.

As would you and anyone else who slurps over LeBron when he's only won ONE FREAKING TITLE!

Again, get back to me when he Three-Peats twice, or even once, or wins 3 titles at all.

Never thought I'd ever be accused of "slurping" over LeBron. Thanks for the laugh.

The Barkely quote is pretty crazy. MVP's never have bad (and i use that term loosely, considering he went 24-8-7 on 8-17 from the field) games?

But of cours,e if Lebron is going to be the best ever, one title won't cut it.

Michael Jeffery Jordan was the best, and will always be the best basketball player of ALL TIME.

the first part is certainly the consensus view today.

the second part is almost certainly false.

as an aside, it is easy to tell which posters spent a lot of their adolescence covering their walls and lockers with MJ pics

Jordan numbers
Except for 3pt shooting Jordan had a 5 year stretch as good or better than Lebron's year. Including 88-89 where he averaged 32.5 on 53.8% fg with 8ast/gm and 8reb/gm and 2.9 steals/gm.

The pace adjustment would take a little air out of those numbers.

But he is Michael Jordan; he's the best player of all time.

their career PER numbers are virtually identical - 27.91 for Jordan, 27.65 for LBJ; the only two players in history with career PERs above 27.
They have each had 4 seasons with a PER above 30. They are the only ones to have four such seasons (Shaq had three; Wilt is estimated to have had 3; nobody else has done it more than once).

the following is not for you, Knicks, but for others: you don't have to say that Lebron is the best ever (hell, I don't go that far myself), but it is just obtuse to say "he isn't even in the conversation"

But he is Michael Jordan; he's the best player of all time.

I don't think so maybe a point or two but the bad boy effect had already started.

I don't think so maybe a point or two but the bad boy effect had already started.

In 1989 the average team had 100 possessions per game, this year the average team had 92 possessions per game. So that's 8% fewer possessions, so yeah, maybe 2 points off the average. Not a ton, he's Michael Jordan, obviously he's amazing.

What's a "highjacked thread", Mommy?

Well, junior, take a look at this one about Jim Boeheim appearing on the Colin Cowherd Show. Those who missed the show were probably interested in what Boeheim said but instead they got another LeBron vs. Melo argument.

One which states who can and can't lead his team to the finals while we sit in the early part of round 2 of the playoffs. With both teams very much alive.

Fun thread, for those who find root canals fun.

their career PER numbers are virtually identical - 27.91 for Jordan, 27.65 for LBJ; the only two players in history with career PERs above 27.
They have each had 4 seasons with a PER above 30. They are the only ones to have four such seasons (Shaq had three; Wilt is estimated to have had 3; nobody else has done it more than once).

the following is not for you, Knicks, but for others: you don't have to say that Lebron is the best ever (hell, I don't go that far myself), but it is just obtuse to say "he isn't even in the conversation"

It's depends on how you define "the conversation" I put at 12th and he has at least 6years left to his career at an elite level and maybe another 3-4 after that. So I'm not saying he can't get to number 1 or be in the conversation at the end of his career, but for me the conversation is a small group 3-4 people small. Lebron has been and continues to be anointed the greatest before he has achieved it.

Well, junior, take a look at this one about Jim Boeheim appearing on the Colin Cowherd Show. Those who missed the show were probably interested in what Boeheim said but instead they got another LeBron vs. Melo argument.
I don't think this thread was "hijacked" so much as it evolved. Capt. Tuttle's intent was not to hijack the thread, but his point simply turned the conversation in a new direction.

This is another reason why thread view is superior, btw. it allows sub-threads in a conversation to develop away from the main body, and those not caring for the sub-thread can easily avoid it. Maybe the looming software upgrade will allow a thread view option.

It's depends on how you define "the conversation"

and apparently you want to define the conversation as only those who agree with you, because a plurality of other hoops fans have him in the conversation.

Lebron has been and continues to be anointed the greatest before he has achieved it.

which - by definition - means that he is in the conversation.

hell, you are even engaged in the conversation, in your doomed role as a desperate, rear guard denialist ;)

lebron is in the conversation as greatest ever because people are assuming hes gonna win a bunch more championships. if he doesnt then he wont surpass jordan no matter how many mvps he wins.

Rings are definitely more important in b'ball than any other sport but as pointed out Lebron isn't done. I wonder what O/U Vegas would set on rings when he retires. I would guess 3.5 at least (this year is a foregone conclusion imo).

With Marino btw it's fairly common knowledge (I thought) that he was a pr!ck who didn't want a running game & that's why he clashed with Jimmy Johnson so much. And his defense wasn't always bad - that point has taken on mythical proportions.
[/tangent]

thats the first ive heard that marino didnt want a running game, and the reason im a dolphin fan is because of marino. youre telling me it was marino's choice to have sammy smith and mark higgs and bernie parmalee and karim abdul jabaar and whatever other scrub running backs he had? he only had one 1000 yeard rusher during his career, and that was karim. and its not like he had jerry rice to throw to, he only played with 3 pro bowl receivers in his career and zero hall of famers. as for defense, in marino's 17 seasons miami had a top 10 defense 4 times. basically other than a couple seasons where he had a top 10 defense (but still no running game) his supporting cast sucked and marino's greatness was the only reason miami made the playoffs as often as they did.

lebron is in the conversation as greatest ever because people are assuming hes gonna win a bunch more championships. if he doesnt then he wont surpass jordan no matter how many mvps he wins.
Agreed but why assume anything let the man's career playout and judge it once its complete. The man has been called the "king" since his junior year in HS. Now with one ring he's GOAT, but if they lose tonight and I don't think they will them Kobe will be better tomorrow. That is why its too soon...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom