JB on Hughes | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Hughes

I'm pretty sure that JB doesn't have a lot of low post offensive schemes. However, if he did, I'm pretty sure that PC's 65% conversion rate might be useful.

Agree that players have to work in the JB zone (no resting!).

ISO ball is a smart move when you have 3 perimeter players who fit that style, especially when 2 of them are better at creating their own shot than they are at creating for others.

Simple fact -- Chukwu's skills aren't going to accommodate a lot of offensive schemes. People complain about using Chukwu for a high pick -- the benefit of that play is to get him and his defender out of the lane so our perimeter players have room in the lane.

JB is pretty good at working his offense around what he has. Interested to see what happens with the good options he has now.

There is a very good chance that this year's team will make The Boeheim Pressure Zone the talk of the basketball world.
Easy there big fella. The zone just needs to be good enough 80% of the time. Even our best zone teams had games where either trunk monkey or the offense bailed them out. Remember Wisconsin sweet 16 game? Trunk monkey needs to do its job the other 20%.

I'd rather see the best players play the most. If Hughes is that good, it would be nice to see him on the court to stop doubleteaming of battle and oshae.

This isn't even comparable to the Waiters situation. We always had 5 very good players on the court, Marek was solid at the end of the year but if there's a legit player on the bench then he should be playing.

I don't think this is much different than the Waiters situation at all. Hughes would likely be playing more than Marek, just not starting. That's it. And most of his minutes would be with Battle on the court with him.

If Hughes is that good offensively, I don't mind the idea of Marek starting and serving as the creative passing option inside, and then sending Hughes in to beat up on the 2nd string.

If memory serves, I think Gillon and Battle started in the backcourt and White played SF. My take on this (big SG as forward) is that it can be effective if the player scores a lot. But rebounding (White - 4.5 rpg) and inside defense (12 blocks all year) take a hit. The nice thing about the 18 team is that we can play a guy like Hughes at forward but bring in a 6'9 guy when we need it.

Hughes is way more athletic and stronger than White. His vertical and quickness jumping makes White. ( no offense I luv ya) look like he has ankle weights on. If Hughes has high B.B. I q look out

Hughes is way more athletic and stronger than White. His vertical and quickness jumping makes White. ( no offense I luv ya) look like he has ankle weights on. If Hughes has high B.B. I q look out
I hope you're right, as Hughes will certainly get time at forward with Battle logging the lion's share of minutes at the 2G. Rebounding and rim defense will be the trade-offs. White was in the 210 range, pretty muscular and an inch taller than Hughes, and he was certainly not a force inside (4.5 rpg and 12 blocks all year). So it'll be interesting to see what kind of offense Hughes can bring and whether he'll be able to rebound and defend the rim. He's beefy for an SU guard/forward (225+ range) and (per accounts from practice) very smooth athletically.

Last edited:

How can you say that so definitively? He may be but I just don’t know how it can be said as a fact.

White lacked vertical quickness but had decent leaping ability and developed into a solid physical rebounding presence down low. This is really high praise for Hughes - I hope you're right.

If memory serves, I think Gillon and Battle started in the backcourt and White played SF. My take on this (big SG as forward) is that it can be effective if the player scores a lot. But rebounding (White - 4.5 rpg) and inside defense (12 blocks all year) take a hit. The nice thing about the 18 team is that we can play a guy like Hughes at forward but bring in a 6'9 guy when we need it.
That back court shifted a number of times throughout the year. I thought it started with Howard and White with Gillon and Battle coming off the bench, then evolved into Gillon and Battle starting as White moved to the wing and Howard had the abdominal injury.

How can you say that so definitively? He may be but I just don’t know how it can be said as a fact.

Well you’re right, it’s an opinion but from what I’ve heard, read, and have seen on highlight films, Hughes has an advantage on White quickness and jumping wise. White struggled on defense first half of year and then improved. He never impressed me as a quick athlete but rather a hard working determined athlete. Hughes is quick and fluid...and he has a sweet shot and release. Andrews shooting really impressed me but little else. We shall see. Question for you....everyone says that Battle has his hands full with Hughes at practice. Do you think White could do the same to Battle?

Well you’re right, it’s an opinion but from what I’ve heard, read, and have seen on highlight films, Hughes has an advantage on White quickness and jumping wise. White struggled on defense first half of year and then improved. He never impressed me as a quick athlete but rather a hard working determined athlete. Hughes is quick and fluid...and he has a sweet shot and release. Andrews shooting really impressed me but little else. We shall see. Question for you...everyone says that Battle has his hands full with Hughes at practice. Do you think White could do the same to Battle?
White was never in the same position as Hughes. White was playing in games. The only games Hughes had were in Syracuse practices. They were everything for him. It makes a difference.

White was never in the same position as Hughes. White was playing in games. The only games Hughes had were in Syracuse practices. They were everything for him. It makes a difference.
Don’t disagree but I’m getting the impression that Hughes is an Oshae type player whereas he impacts the game even if shot is off. I have nothing but respect and admiration for White for what he did and how he did it(disposition). White was polished and Oshae and Hughes are like junkyard dogs that are gonna eat one way or another.

Don’t disagree but I’m getting the impression that Hughes is an Oshae type player whereas he impacts the game even if shot is off. I have nothing but respect and admiration for White for what he did and how he did it(disposition). White was polished and Oshae and Hughes are like junkyard dogs that are gonna eat one way or another.
I think Hughes will be a better player than White. But that is just what I have heard about him.

I think Hughes will be a better player than White. But that is just what I have heard about him.
White averaged 18.5 ppg. If Hughes averages that much we are in trouble (meaning out of necessity he needs to play at least 37 minutes per game like White did. I think it's almost impossible to guess how many minutes Hughes will play, but you are correct. He could be a better player than White. And that is saying a lot.

White averaged 18.5 ppg. If Hughes averages that much we are in trouble (meaning out of necessity he needs to play at least 37 minutes per game like White did. I think it's almost impossible to guess how many minutes Hughes will play, but you are correct. He could be a better player than White. And that is saying a lot.
I sure don't expect Hughes to score anywhere near 18.5 pts a game.

I sure don't expect Hughes to score anywhere near 18.5 pts a game.
Hughes and White are two completely different players. White is catch and shoot. Hughes can create and is more an attack type. In Frank Battle Hughes Carey Bris you have 5 guys who like to and can get to the rim. This team is going to be very hard to defend.

Hughes and White are two completely different players. White is catch and shoot. Hughes can create and is more an attack type. In Frank Battle Hughes Carey Bris you have 5 guys who like to and can get to the rim. This team is going to be very hard to defend.
Speaking the truth let’s go

Sounds good to me and if the 5's can grab the missed shots when their man goes to stop the penetration SU will rack up some nice numbers offensively. If Marek can play 5 on some occasions he can draw that big man away from the hoop as well and clear some space in the lane. Lots of interesting options for Jim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom